Stewart Reuben wrote:CK >What is there to see at the FIDE Office?<
I don't think there is anything much. What they have is in files in the basement.
Is anybody able to follow up this St John's College collection?
It might not be anything much more than a chess player's personal collection that ended up in the library. I went looking online, not expecting to find much, but it seems things have moved on now we are in the second decade of the 21st century, and you can search the catalogues online without needing to be there physically or to login or anything like that.
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/
500 years old next year, I see!
I did two searches, one using the library website search box:
http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u ... hess&sa=GO
That got eight results.
Then I followed the links to the catalogue and found this:
http://www.grantavista.org.uk/newt/
You can search *all* the college and university libraries there. When I limited the search to St John's College Library, I got 77 hits. For the university-wide collection (for comparison) I got 2089 hits. This was with all text keywords searched. Limiting it to the title reduces the noise somewhat, but risks missing some good hits.
Here is a taste of some of the results from the 8-hit library search (OK, it's all of them, not just a taste):
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/specia ... leeffects/
"Personal effects of Sir Fred Hoyle (1915-2001), astronomer"
"Wooden chessboard. c. early 1920s."
"Wooden set of chess pieces. c. 1930s."
"Silver chess trophy in shape of pawn engraved 'B.C.C.A. F. Hoyle 1933.' "
"Silver chess trophy in shape of queen engraved 'B.C.C.A. F. Hoyle 1932.' "
"Great Game Machine (computer chess). With master chess openings and endgame cassettes, and operation manuals."
I presume that last item
isn't from the 1930s! It would be interesting to know what date it is from though. The BCCA trophies sound interesting (British Correspondence Chess Association, I presume). I do hope the wooden chess set and pieced haven't rotted away! And I never knew that Fred Hoyle played chess.
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/specia ... /polymath/
"Hoyle was a man of many interests and many talents. He was a keen chess player, and took an interest in the workings of early chess-playing computers."
Nice picture of him there at a chess board.
From other links there is similar stuff about Hoyle (they seem to have done a big exhibition on him at some point): "Behind the public and academic persona, the collection also shows the private man, with material reflecting his great love of climbing and chess" and "Hoyle was a keen mountain climber, an avid player of chess...".
And box 18 of the Hoyle collection has a collection of "Chess Moves". I'm hoping this is something more exciting than the BCF newsletter, but it could well be that as Hoyle only died in 2001. Probably something else, though.
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/specia ... ts/medals/
"Foster, Alfred William (b. 1876) Silver medal by Munsey, Cambridge, 5cm. Obv. Arms of Cambridge University. Leg. UNIVERSITAS CANTABRIGIENSIS. Rev. Laurel wreath enclosing chess board and pieces and shields bearing arms of Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Edge. S. JOHN'S COLL. 1898. Awarded to A.W. Foster (BA 1898) for playing in the Varsity chess match, 25 March 1898. Given by A.J.O. Wilcockson, 1995 (correspondence with medal)."
Pity there is no picture! I don't think Varsity Match players get medals nowadays, but I could be wrong.
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/library/specia ... n/D_23.htm
The uninspiring title "98" leads to this: "Vellum, 12.75 x 8.875, double columns of 43 lines. 15th cent., written by an Italian scribe or imitator of Italian hand. Binding, stamped leather over boards, first cover surrounded with chess-board pattern, in centre of second cover panel with motto En dieu mafye1."
I wouldn't like to say how old that is or isn't, and how much or little it is to do with chess, but it sounds old!
The last link was to a list of St John's College sports teams captains from 2008, so I won't bother with that!
Turning to the Newton catalogue I linked above (
http://www.grantavista.org.uk/newt/), I quickly browsed through the links (because the collection I remember seeing wasn't the Hoyle one) to see if I could find what I remembered seeing years ago, and found the following that might be of interest (I can't seem to link to them, though I am sure it is possible):
"The chess congress of 1862 : a collection of the games played and a selection of the problems sent in for competition / edited by J.Lowenthal. to which is prefixed an account of the proceedings and a memoir of the British Chess Association / by G.W.Medley."
"Encyclopédie des échecs : ou Résumé comparatif en tableaux synoptiques des meilleurs ouvrages écrits sur ce jeu par les auteurs français et étrangers, tant anciens que modernes, mis a l'usage de toutes les nations par le langage universel des chiffres / Par A. Alexandre." (Alexandre, Aaron, ca. 1766-1850)
That one is marked "Gift of Richard Pendlebury [...] 1847-1902, Former owner."
"The famous game of chesse-play : being a princely exercise; wherein the learner may profite more by reading of this small booke, then by playing of a thousand mates : now augmented of many materiall things formerly wanting, and beautified with a three-folde methode, viz. of the chesse men, of the chesse-play, of the chesse lawes / by Io. Barbier. P." (Arthur Saul, 1618)
This is
insanely old. From the 17th century! "Dee, Francis, d. 1638, Former owner." There is this note: "The folded leaf has title: A briefe of the lavves of chesse-play." (lavves = laws).
Here is a famous one, a 19th century translation of Greco: "Le jeu des eschets / traduit de l'italien de Gioachino Greco, Calabrois."
Here is an 18th century one: "Osservazioni teorico-pratiche sopra il giuoco degli scacchi : ossia Il giuoco degli scacchi esposto nel suo miglior lume / da Giambatista Lolli, Modonese ..."
Dunno who Giovanni Battista Lolli is, but it's not difficult to find out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giambattista_Lolli
As I say, I don't know how rare any of that stuff is, or what condition it is in (it might never have been sorted properly other than a brief cataloging when various people over the centuries donated stuff to the library), but if any of it sounds worth following up, I'd be happy to help with that.