Page 1 of 2

29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm
by Sam Cornwell
But I've suddenly got back into it after succesfully teaching my girlfriend how to beat me.

When I was 11/12 the only experience I had of competition was getting silver place in the national Scouts final. I didn't play for much after that. I'd love to get back into the social side and have no idea where or what level to start. I don't know what my ability is without playing other players so would like to start low.

I live in South Wales, Newport and my girlfriend is interested too. Where/who/what/how do I get started?

TIA

Sam.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 pm
by Alex Holowczak
You might be interested in visiting a local club. I found this on the Welsh Chess Union website: http://www.welshchessunion.co.uk/html/gwent.html

Whichever of those is most convenient for you would probably welcome new members, and bring you up to league standard (if you're not already!), and you can start playing in their competitions.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 pm
by Gareth Harley-Yeo
Sam Cornwell wrote:But I've suddenly got back into it after succesfully teaching my girlfriend how to beat me.

When I was 11/12 the only experience I had of competition was getting silver place in the national Scouts final. I didn't play for much after that. I'd love to get back into the social side and have no idea where or what level to start. I don't know what my ability is without playing other players so would like to start low.

I live in South Wales, Newport and my girlfriend is interested too. Where/who/what/how do I get started?

TIA

Sam.
There are sveral clubs in your area.

Newport, Malpas, Cwmbran, Pontypool and Abergavenny all have clubs. I suggest you pop along to one on a club night and take it from there. ( link )

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:57 pm
by Pat Bennett
As a teenager, I used to play for Newport Bishops, one of three teams based in the YMCA. That was 50 years ago. Browsing the web a few months ago, I noticed that three teams with the same names (!) still play in the Newport & District League. If memory serves me right, club night was a Tuesday. Nip along to the YMCA this evening and see if there are any chessplayers about. Tradition dies hard in South Wales ...

Pat

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:08 pm
by Pat Bennett
What a shame. I've just checked at http://www.newportchessclub.org.uk/links.html, where it says that "Newport Chess Club meets each Wednesday from 7pm at the Baneswell Community Centre, Baneswell, Newport."

And only Newport Bishops and Newport Rooks are still going. The third is called Newport A, but there was no such team 50 years ago.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:17 pm
by JustinHorton
A few years ago, I sent a proposal to three British chess publishers for a book designed to assist people like Sam, as I'd come across an awful lot of people , on bulletin boards - who hadn't played chess since school but had expressed an interest when the subject of chess came up, generally during a world championship match or similar. The book would have helped them find somewhere to play (clubs, congresses) as well as filling them in on what had happened in the chess world in their absence - both as regards world championships, and so on, and as regards computers, playing online, websites and what you will.

One publisher never replied. One said they'd get back to me and didn't, and the third replied quickly, said they were interested but asked if I could expand my proposed remit to include the US - where most of the books are sold - and then turned down when I declined, not knowing anything much about chess in the US. Which was OK, I understood their point of view and they didn't mess me about.

Still, it's a shame though - in my experience there's a lot of people out there who fall into this category. So, if anybody else out there wants to have a go, please be my guest!

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 pm
by Sam Cornwell
Thank you all for your help. It's quite unnerving not knowing how it's all meant to work. I'm quite keen on the social side and my girlfriend would like to participate too.

I'm heading down to the Newport club tomorrow as suggested. Hopefully they might be able to get me up to a league standard and get me playing weekly.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm
by Gareth Harley-Yeo
Sam Cornwell wrote:Thank you all for your help. It's quite unnerving not knowing how it's all meant to work. I'm quite keen on the social side and my girlfriend would like to participate too.

I'm heading down to the Newport club tomorrow as suggested. Hopefully they might be able to get me up to a league standard and get me playing weekly.
I've just joined Cardiff, if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm
by Michael Jones
Without wishing it to sound too much like a plug, you might want to get hold of a copy of the Mammoth Book of Chess; I've found that useful in that it has information on how clubs/leagues/tournaments etc. work, as well as on actually playing the game.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:47 pm
by John Upham
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:52 pm
by Adam Raoof
John Upham wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"
castell mor gynnar ag y bo modd!

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 pm
by Richard Thursby
This thread is fast becoming rather inappropriate for the English Chess Forum!

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm
by Gareth Harley-Yeo
John Upham wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"
Allai, ond o ni'n feddwl dy fod ti'n gwbod rheolau'r gem yn barod John? 8)
Richard Thursby wrote:This thread is fast becoming rather inappropriate for the English Chess Forum!
Sorry Richard, we'll try not to take up too much space on the server. :roll:

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 am
by Neill Cooper
The excellent 'Chess in England' site (http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm) unfortunately does not show clubs in Wales.

Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 am
by Adam Raoof
Neill Cooper wrote:The excellent 'Chess in England' site (http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm) unfortunately does not show clubs in Wales.
Not surprisingly, given the name.

A very interesting site - who runs it?

"Individual players are expected to support financially the whole of this structure. Not surprisingly this expectation is not uniformally appreciated, and as fees have increased some sections of the chess community have opted out of providing support to the higher levels."

The first sentence is factually incorrect. The second sentence is a little obscure.

"Interestingly there are several league sites that record a grading performance for players in their competitions, so clearly this is a benefit that the ECF is not uniquely positioned to provide. "

The ECF is, however, unique in being able to provide a national grading service, rather than a local one.