2nd London Chess Classic 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: 2nd London Chess Classic 2010

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:37 am

Richard Bates >Just as a matter of interest - is there a Game Fee reduction for ECF members?<

The FIDE Open requires all players to be members of their national federation (as do all English FIDE Rated events). For such events it would be silly to have such a reduction as every entrant would receive it. Mind you, this did not stop some events having a reduction - until I pointed out the lack of logic.
But, Richard, IMs are not required to pay entry fees.

Stewart Reuben

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Richard Bates >Just as a matter of interest - is there a Game Fee reduction for ECF members?<

The FIDE Open requires all players to be members of their national federation (as do all English FIDE Rated events). For such events it would be silly to have such a reduction as every entrant would receive it. Mind you, this did not stop some events having a reduction - until I pointed out the lack of logic.
But, Richard, IMs are not required to pay entry fees.

Stewart Reuben
I haven't got the slightest interest in playing in the FIDE Open. I was referring to the weekend (Open) tournament.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 am

Richard Bates wrote:I haven't got the slightest interest in playing in the FIDE Open. I was referring to the weekend (Open) tournament.
But those games only last three hours! How will you cope! :shock:

The Weekend Open is a congress, so the organisers don't pay Game Fee on any games members play. Usually congresses in this situation offer a discount for members from the price of entry, usually equivalent to the cost of Game Fee. I have no idea whether London's does...

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 am

I'm posting this here in the hope that someone involved in the organisation can answer. I emailed Adam Raoof and Alex McFarlane a few weeks ago and haven't had a reply.

I want to play the FIDE-rated Open but haven't entered yet as I'll need to take a bye on the day of the 4th round (Sat 11 Nov) as I will be at a wedding. Trouble is it says on the web page (http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festi ... destandard):

"Byes: Untitled players who wish to take one or two half-point byes in this section may do so, provided they give adequate notice"

I'm an IM, does this mean I can't take a half-point bye? If so, why not? I can understand players receiving conditions not being allowed to take byes, but I'm not asking for any conditions. And what does "Untitled players" mean here - can WFMS, CMs etc. take a half-point bye? And finally, if I can't take a half-point bye, can I take a zero-point bye?

I really would like to play again this year!

Thanks.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 am

The answer is that IMs receive a free entry, and titled players (GMs/IMs/WGMs/WIM) are not expected to take byes as this may affect the norm chances of other, paying, entrants.

I'll let you know what Alex thinks.

Adam
Simon Ansell wrote:I'm posting this here in the hope that someone involved in the organisation can answer. I emailed Adam Raoof and Alex McFarlane a few weeks ago and haven't had a reply.

I want to play the FIDE-rated Open but haven't entered yet as I'll need to take a bye on the day of the 4th round (Sat 11 Nov) as I will be at a wedding. Trouble is it says on the web page (http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festi ... destandard):

"Byes: Untitled players who wish to take one or two half-point byes in this section may do so, provided they give adequate notice"

I'm an IM, does this mean I can't take a half-point bye? If so, why not? I can understand players receiving conditions not being allowed to take byes, but I'm not asking for any conditions. And what does "Untitled players" mean here - can WFMS, CMs etc. take a half-point bye? And finally, if I can't take a half-point bye, can I take a zero-point bye?

I really would like to play again this year!

Thanks.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply Adam. The obvious next question is - if I pay the entry fee, can I take a bye? It seems a bit silly to be disadvantaged just because I happen to have the IM title!
Last edited by Simon Ansell on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:53 am

Adam Raoof wrote:The answer is that IMs receive a free entry, and titled players (GMs/IMs/WGMs/WIM) are not expected to take byes as this may affect the norm chances of other, paying, entrants.
It'll hurt their norm chances even more if they don't enter because they aren't allowed to take a bye. :wink:

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 am

It does seem strange, that not having Simon in the draw for one round is really going to affect somebody's chances for an IM norm (and whoever plays him on the Sunday might get an easier game :wink: )

If anything Simon is the only person who would be directly affected, it would bugger up his chances for a GM norm

Personally we should be encouraging players to enter these tournaments, not putting undue obstacles if the way of players whatever their title is

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12 am

Simon Ansell wrote:Thanks for the reply Adam. The obvious next question is - if I pay the entry fee, can I take a bye? It seems a bit silly to be disadvantaged just because I happen to have the IM title!
One would think that having an IM in the event for eight rounds is better for norms than him not playing at all :idea:

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 am

Alan Walton wrote:(and whoever plays him on the Sunday might get an easier game :wink: )
What are you implying sir? :o

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 am

Simon Ansell wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:(and whoever plays him on the Sunday might get an easier game :wink: )
Just saying from past experience wedding receptions during tournaments aren't particularly great for you chess, the last time I did this I kept nodding off at the board (though I did end up winning both games) :)

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:59 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:
Just saying from past experience wedding receptions during tournaments aren't particularly great for you chess, the last time I did this I kept nodding off at the board (though I did end up winning both games) :)
I might try that, I would do anything to win. Party hard, sleep at the board, win two games, nice.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Naturally, I am not saying that it is not an advantage for us to have Simon at the Classic! I am merely making the relevant point, which is that entry to IMs is free on certain conditions. If every titled player (GMs/IMs/WGMs/WIM) requested byes it would be a nightmare, so we have to make the default position 'no' - but we will be practical and hopefully fair.
Adam Raoof IA, IO

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Titled players don't ask for free entry, it is there by default. Which is why I asked the (hypothetical, at this stage) question:
Simon Ansell wrote:if I pay the entry fee, can I take a bye?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:Titled players don't ask for free entry, it is there by default. Which is why I asked the (hypothetical, at this stage) question:
Simon Ansell wrote:if I pay the entry fee, can I take a bye?
I think the hypothetical answer is yes. However don't send a cheque just yet ;-)
Adam Raoof IA, IO