Karpov Fund-Raiser at Simpsons

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Saunders

Karpov Fund-Raiser at Simpsons

Post by John Saunders » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 am

Couldn't resist having some fun with a photo of Carol Vorderman and Garry Kasparov I took at the Simpsons shindig last night...

http://johnchess.blogspot.com/2010/09/w ... carol.html
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jonathan Rogers

Re: Karpov Fund-Raiser at Simpsons

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh, that's happened already then? It doesn't appear to have been a media success judging by its absence in the online editions of the main papers, though perhaps there will be some coverage tomorrow.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:51 pm

I must admit that it somewhat passed me by. I expected more mainstream news coverage than it actually received. Did I miss anything?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Oh, that's happened already then? It doesn't appear to have been a media success judging by its absence in the online editions of the main papers, though perhaps there will be some coverage tomorrow.
Maybe the journalists were all too hungover? :D

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Oh, that's happened already then? It doesn't appear to have been a media success judging by its absence in the online editions of the main papers, though perhaps there will be some coverage tomorrow.
It is mentioned by Malcolm in his chess column in today's Telegraph. The article includes a fairly strong attack upon Ilyumzhinov. Ilyumzhinov may de jure be deprived of power in Kalmykia, but will this be de facto too?

“Пусть черт, только б иной!” (i.e. the antithesis of "Better the devil we know ...") can lead to wishful thinking.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

I am guessing that the organisers hoped for a little more publicity than Malcolm's chess column. Karpov, Kasparov, Short, the mystery guests that CJ has mentioned on this forum, Carol Vordermann etc were meant to attract mainstream attention.

Perhaps indeed the journalists have not had time to file their reports yet. But there is an unearthly silence, isn't there? Why no reports or gossip about the event even on this forum? Somehow one wonders whether the only report with photos will appear on chessbase ......

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Twic has a game.

Short, Nigel:Vujatovic, Rajko (2690:2222) - Kasparov, Garry:Crumiller, Jon (2812:0)
Staunton Mem Consultation game London ENG (1), 2010.09.08
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.Bd3 Bc5 6.Nb3 Be7 7.Qg4 g6 8.Qe2 d6 9.O-O Nd7 10.a4 b6 11.Na3 Qc7 12.Nc4 Bb7 13.a5 b5 14.Nb6 Nxb6 15.axb6 Qxb6 16.Na5 Bc8 17.Be3 Qc7 18.c4 b4 19.e5 Rb8 20.Bd4 f6 21.exf6 Nxf6 22.c5 O-O 23.cxd6 Bxd6 24.Rfc1 Bxh2+ 25.Kh1 Qf4 26.Rxc8 Qxd4 27.Rc4 Qd6 28.Rd1 Kh8 29.g3 Qd5+ 30.Kxh2 Qxa5 31.Qxe6 Qh5+ 32.Rh4 Qxd1 33.Bxg6 Ng4+ 0-1

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I can tell you that we are all recovering. It was a brilliant night, probably spawned a few new and sizeable sponsorship deals and we did a lot of networking. Everyone entered into the spirit of the evening, and if you missed it, you missed a lot of fun - judging from the number of cameras and mobile phones taking footage you might want to check Facebook and YouTube. Darwin Strategic are to be commended for supporting this event, and I am sure they would like as much publicity as possible, but that wasn't the main idea of the event. I am sure we raised a lot of money!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm

Adam Raoof wrote
I can tell you that we are all recovering. It was a brilliant night, probably spawned a few new and sizeable sponsorship deals and we did a lot of networking. Everyone entered into the spirit of the evening, and if you missed it, you missed a lot of fun - judging from the number of cameras and mobile phones taking footage you might want to check Facebook and YouTube. Darwin Strategic are to be commended for supporting this event, and I am sure they would like as much publicity as possible, but that wasn't the main idea of the event. I am sure we raised a lot of money!
Seconded

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Maybe the journalists were all too hungover? :D
Isn't that how newspaper journos work?

BTW, I know it's been said before but I'd like to say it too: I think your signature takes up too much screen estate.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 am

Angus French wrote: BTW, I know it's been said before but I'd like to say it too: I think your signature takes up too much screen estate.
Oh no. Do you? Do you really? :roll:

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 am

I agree that your signature is too long.
The first three posts on this topic take up one screen - so one can follow the flow of conversation easily.
The fourth post by you is shorter than the others but it takes up a whole screen on its own and the flow is broken.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:03 am

Could you put the image to the left of the text in the signature?

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 am

If you use Firefox then try installing the AdBlock plug-in. It allows you to avoid seeing single images , all the images from a site, images from a subdriectory on a site, images with names which match a patterm etc. It's particularly useful for blocking animated gifs, which drive me mad.

I'm afraid Sean's signature image was blocked weeks ago on my computer!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I'm afraid Sean's signature image was blocked weeks ago on my computer!
Same here. :D