Road to Grandmaster

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Will Taylor

Re: Road to Grandmaster

Post by Will Taylor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:34 pm

I wasn't asked to play last weekend, but I will be playing at the next one in February.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Will you be playing for Durham at the BUCA event for Durham in Oxford?

Will Taylor

Post by Will Taylor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Will you be playing for Durham at the BUCA event for Durham in Oxford?
Yes, all being well.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00 pm

That should be a good test for your skills - there are some tough board ones at the universites, all of which need to be overcome to put you into the GM sort of territory.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:That should be a good test for your skills - there are some tough board ones at the universites, all of which need to be overcome to put you into the GM sort of territory.
That depends on whether or not David Eggleston is going to play for them; I know he goes to Durham!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

A couple of slightly dissapointing draw this 4ncl - I hope he still has the 'will' to keep pushing for those wins.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:28 am

Joey Stewart wrote:A couple of slightly dissapointing draw this 4ncl - I hope he still has the 'will' to keep pushing for those wins.
I think he was suffering in the round 6 game, and his opponent forced the draw. In the round 5 game, you need ideas against lower rated players who can be seriously tiresome with ease in the sequence 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5. For what it's worth Rybka thinks White is better in the final position, but perhaps you should play the rating (1698) and continue.

(edit) The blog contains comments on the games, the round 5 game suffered from travel delays and consequent time shortage.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Is it worth buying multiple engines? It is difficult enough beating Fritz and the analysis it produces is good. So buying Rybka or one of the other engines as well - what are the benefits?

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am

No real benefits to a non-professional. Just one engine will suffice for all below 2400.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 am

thought so. thanks Andrew.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:Is it worth buying multiple engines? It is difficult enough beating Fritz and the analysis it produces is good. So buying Rybka or one of the other engines as well - what are the benefits?
I can see no point in buying multiple engines, or even up-to-date engines. All engines, including very old ones, are good at telling you about missed tactics. I have yet to see any engine that is consistently good at any other sort of analysis.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 am

I download lots of free engines. I may not need them, but if they're free... :wink:

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 am

Multiple engines are simply fantastic for correspondence chess and remove the need to think for oneself.

They are also fantastic when one is watching a live chess broadcast, so one can make intelligent suggestions or scathing criticisms of the commentator, thereby grossly exaggerating one's actual ability and playing strength.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I think he was suffering in the round 6 game, and his opponent forced the draw. In the round 5 game, you need ideas against lower rated players who can be seriously tiresome with ease in the sequence 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bc4 Bc5. For what it's worth Rybka thinks White is better in the final position, but perhaps you should play the rating (1698) and continue.

(edit) The blog contains comments on the games, the round 5 game suffered from travel delays and consequent time shortage.

I guess it depends on how much better doesn't it? IT's not just playing the rating though. If you're short of time and have the worse position and yet even so the other guy offers you a draw doesn't that indicate that they're scared?

I wonder if part of becoming a grandmaster (or even 'strong' player however you'd like to definie that) is learning to fight it out in these situations. Back yourself to win to the point of being prepared to risk losing in order to give yourself a chance of securing victory?

A friend of mine (200 ecf of thereabouts) was recently playing an IM in a league match. He was a pawn (or two maybe) ahead in a knight endgame, but offered a draw in a blitz finish. I'm not sure of the exact clock times but I think both flags were hanging. Anyway, the point is the IM turned him down. The game did eventually end in a draw, but the guy turned my friend down and tried to win a losing position!

That sort of thing is pretty ballsy - and not what I would probably do - but then i'm not trying to be a grandmaster.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:43 pm

andrew martin wrote:Multiple engines are simply fantastic for correspondence chess and remove the need to think for oneself.

They are also fantastic when one is watching a live chess broadcast, so one can make intelligent suggestions or scathing criticisms of the commentator, thereby grossly exaggerating one's actual ability and playing strength.
Ah yes, the Booomby tactic. We came across it a lot during Gibraltar.