Road to Grandmaster

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Bielby

Re: Road to Grandmaster

Post by Paul Bielby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:28 am

Congratulations to the Hawk!!

Jonathan is one of the two Northumbria JCA youngsters to have gone on to win FIDE titles in the last eighteen months (The other being Kanwal Bhatia WFM). Unlike Kanwal he remains firmly based in the North-East and continues to play in the local Northumberland League for the all conquering team from Leam Lane Working Men's Club and also for home town Consett in the Durham League. As a junior he was always in the shadow of Martyn Jones (also from Consett), but unlike Martyn who retired from chess at about 15 to concentrate on getting to Cambridge, he continued to work at the game.
He is undoubtedly the top player in NE Chess at the present time (sorry, Charlie) but note that he has attained his FM and IM titles without playing outside England. I doubt he even has a passport. If he is to obtain the GM title that his chess surely deserves, he must surely be prepared to spread his wings a bit and play some chess abroad.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 am

Paul Bielby wrote: If he is to obtain the GM title that his chess surely deserves, he must surely be prepared to spread his wings a bit and play some chess abroad.
It can be done. GM norms are possible at Hastings, London Chess Classic Open, 4NCL and British Championships.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Joey Stewart wrote:That is a fine effort, Hawkins is one of those players who has never really been on the rader but has consistently improved a little bit at a time year by year.
I don't know about this - i would say that Jonathan is more of an example of a text book meteoric rise from nowhere!
He was rated 2232 in July 2008 and jumped to 2410 in March 2010 :shock: His rating is still going up but he hasn't play any rated tournaments since the summer of last year.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paul Bielby wrote: If he is to obtain the GM title that his chess surely deserves, he must surely be prepared to spread his wings a bit and play some chess abroad.
It can be done. GM norms are possible at Hastings, London Chess Classic Open, 4NCL and British Championships.
As well as the various e2e4 international events, Coulsdon, Big Slick etc

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 am

LozCooper wrote: As well as the various e2e4 international events, Coulsdon, Big Slick etc
IM norms yes, I'm not sure there's quite the field strength in these to make GM possible. Yang-Fan's 9/9 was only IM.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
LozCooper wrote: As well as the various e2e4 international events, Coulsdon, Big Slick etc
IM norms yes, I'm not sure there's quite the field strength in these to make GM possible. Yang-Fan's 9/9 was only IM.
GM norms have certainly been available at some of the CCF events.

The Big Slick International 2009 was also a GM norm event. Alexei Slavin needed to win his last two games to obtain a GM norm, but lost in Round 8. He then drew in Round 9 for an IM norm.

The e2e4 events continue to expand.

I think it's a question of "watch this space".

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Are there ever GM norm events where you dont have to get rediculously high scores to get a title? If you played a field of all masters, for exampe, and scored something like 5/9 would that do the job? It seems that they are nearly impossible to achieve - I dont think I remember anyone getting a GM norm in an english event any time in recent years.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Are there ever GM norm events where you dont have to get rediculously high scores to get a title? If you played a field of all masters, for exampe, and scored something like 5/9 would that do the job? It seems that they are nearly impossible to achieve - I dont think I remember anyone getting a GM norm in an english event any time in recent years.
There have been a number of GM Norms in the 4NCL, British and Hastings in the past few years

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 pm

None that i have ever heard of - most probably foreign grand masters coming over here and taking our rating points and our women.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 pm

I remember 5 years ago, in the 3Cs team both Stewart Haslinger and Stephen Gordon both got GM norms, and more recently both Richard Pert and Adam Hunt have both had norms, also last season Andrew Greet got a GM norm, a little research may be required before making comments (these were in the 4NCL alone)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Oh yeah actually I do remember adam hunt playing a great british championship this year. And I remember the year stewart haslinger got his norm - he was on really good form them, if I remember rightly he took a year out just to play chess professionally and it paid dividends.

Dont rememember any of the other norms though - I thuoght stephen gordon had been a grand for years and got hsi title somewhere abroad.

I prefer not to research - it would have slowed up my story if I had to take time out from writing it, and then the topic might have moved on completely. Sometimes it is just best to go with your heart on such matters, and make sweeping statements, even if there is a small chance that they might be refuted.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Stephen Gordon, got his GM norms at the EU Champs in Liverpool in 2006, then in the following year in the 4NCL for 3Cs, his final norm was in 2009 also in the 4NCL playing for Hilsmark, so all his norms were achieved in the U.K.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Are there ever GM norm events where you dont have to get rediculously high scores to get a title? If you played a field of all masters, for exampe, and scored something like 5/9 would that do the job? It seems that they are nearly impossible to achieve - I dont think I remember anyone getting a GM norm in an english event any time in recent years.
A 5/9 GM norm is possible; it requires the field faced to average at least 2557 (with your being allowed to raise one opponent to 2200).

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 am

It is possible to get a GM norm with 3.5/9. Your opponents would have to average 2680! The regulations are available on the FIDE webite. We do not currently have a large number of English title aspirants. If your opponents average 2380, then you need 7/9. You also have to play against 3 GMs, 5 title holders and a number of foreigners for some of the events.
Sean Hewitt and Scott Freeman arrange a number of round robin tournaments where the opportunities are there. You can play in the 1st Saturday tournments in Budapest where the events are arranged for the purpose of proviing such opportunities.

Stewart Reuben

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: You can play in the 1st Saturday tournments in Budapest where the events are arranged for the purpose of proviing such opportunities.
Carefully expressed, although those who play there think the chess is totally above board, which is more than they would be prepared to say about the "social" activities.