Copying and re-selling chess DVDs

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Re: Copying and re-selling chess DVDs

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:53 am

Gavin Strachan wrote:If there is copyright on DVD, film, etc then it is a civil issue for infringing copyright protection. Copyright does have a time limit, so for music it is 50yrs and maybe the same for film. Interesting cases of this are where Cliff Richards early stuff is now out of copyright and so I believe he would not get royalties anymore, but certainly could be sampled (eek) without permission.

We are talking about brand new DVDs being manufactured by Chessbase, Foxy, Roman, Polgar being sold from well known retail outlets rather than 1970s Audio Chess cassette tapes from Michael Basman.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

John Upham wrote:Should I report this to the local Trading Standards Department for the supplier?
Yes.
John Upham wrote:Should the League continue to maintain the web page for these DVDs?
No.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Didn't the purchaser look at the DVDs and think "they look dodgy" better go buy from Chessbase, or did he think, cor, they're cheap, let's buy three!!
Crime wouldn't pay if people didn't buy things from the pub.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Didn't the purchaser look at the DVDs and think "they look dodgy" better go buy from Chessbase, or did he think, cor, they're cheap, let's buy three!!
Crime wouldn't pay if people didn't buy things from the pub.

The purchaser is a student of mine (who is also a beginner to chess keen to improve) and fellow member of Camberley Chess Club, who bought them (in good faith) on line from the web site. http://www.chessit.co.uk/Simul%20Adams/ ... 20List.htm

It does also say
Please note some of these dvd's are used but are in "as new" condition
which is very much open to interpretation.

We are not talking about purchasing from a car boot sale, pub, bookstall at a East European tournament or some other obviously dodgy source.
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm

John Upham wrote:The purchaser is a student of mine (who is also a beginner to chess keen to improve) and fellow member of Camberley Chess Club, who bought them (in good faith) on line from the Bristol & District League web site. http://www.chessit.co.uk/Simul%20Adams/ ... 20List.htm

The chessit website carries an advert from chessbase too. Wires seem to have been crossed somewhere along the line.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm

The page at the Bristol and District website appears to have been removed.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm

I couldn't find it either.

petersaunders

Post by petersaunders » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:45 pm

John and all.
Firstly let me say the link to the page you refer to was put up on the server 4 years ago.
It was taken off when the website moved to a different server a long time ago.
The page unfortunately was not itself deleted. And could still be accessed.
The page has now been deleted. Can I add the Bristol League had no involvement in the sale of the DVDs just as it hasn't any in the sale from the other adverts on its pages.
As I haven't sold any DVDs for a long time and haven't bought any for over a year the list was so far out of date as to be worthless.

I have a few questions John.
When were these DVDs sold? To whom were they sold? Just a surname should suffice.
And if the DVDs are so obviously copied why wasn't it picked up immediately the cases were opened?
(Some many months if not years ago.)
As I said in an earlier post unless 2nd hand, the DVDs would have been sealed. I would have no reason to open them. Many DVDS were bought and sold to order.
Obviously something has gone wrong here and I would like to get to the bottom of it.
Please let me have the info I request and I will check out the dates.
All my sales were guartenteed and I will gladly refund any monies, if this is my fault.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

andrew martin wrote:The page at the Bristol and District website appears to have been removed.
Yes, I managed to find a cached version :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk
Chess Amateur.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Do people not get a bit concerned that, even with buying from a legitimate source, you are still handing your bank account details over to a potentially nefarious source. Thats one of the reasons I am not a big fan of buying software online at all (although I did enjoy watching some of the training videos that came with firtz 12). Even the 'so called' professional sites can screw you if they decide to - like when I tried to claim my free subscription on playchess.com and never had access to any of the features and was told by one of their friendly salesmen that he would be quite willing to help my out by selling me a new membership to compensate me for the one lost!!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 am

I've been buying online for twelve years now and have never yet been subject to any sort of fraud. Nowadays it is safer than ever, if you pay using Paypal you are not handing your bank account details to anyone. And paying for anything online by credit card it incredibly buyer-friendly.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Do people not get a bit concerned that, even with buying from a legitimate source, you are still handing your bank account details over to a potentially nefarious source. Thats one of the reasons I am not a big fan of buying software online at all (although I did enjoy watching some of the training videos that came with firtz 12). Even the 'so called' professional sites can screw you if they decide to - like when I tried to claim my free subscription on playchess.com and never had access to any of the features and was told by one of their friendly salesmen that he would be quite willing to help my out by selling me a new membership to compensate me for the one lost!!
I agree totally, just Amazon for me. One place shopping.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:13 pm

I have forwarded the two PayPal transaction receipts for the three DVDs purchased in May 2010 to Peter.

Nick Murphy

Post by Nick Murphy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I've been buying online for twelve years now and have never yet been subject to any sort of fraud. Nowadays it is safer than ever, if you pay using Paypal you are not handing your bank account details to anyone. And paying for anything online by credit card it incredibly buyer-friendly.
I rather buy online than hand my credit card over to someone behind a bar or a cash desk. Online is SO much safer!
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

I tend to disagree with this actually if you look at the statistics you'd probably find it is the opposite.

The fact is people will buy and re- sell DVD's if they can get away with it and the reality is on this matter unless people that were caught if they where high offenders of this then perhaps they should be prosecuted otherwise it's going to be a continuous problem in the society.

Matt.