Royal Wedding and chess tournaments

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Royal Wedding and chess tournaments

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Sean, if the March e2e4 tournament at Uxbridge clashes with the royal wedding, will you hold a party? :)

Paul Buswell

Re: Royal Wedding and chess tournaments

Post by Paul Buswell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Perhaps more importantly, has anyone yet started looking at events to run over the Double-Bank-Holiday Jubilee weekend of Sat 2 to Tues 5 June 2012, which replaces the Bank Holiday weekend of Sat 26 to Mon 28 May 2012.

PB

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:Perhaps more importantly, has anyone yet started looking at events to run over the Double-Bank-Holiday Jubilee weekend of Sat 2 to Tues 5 June 2012, which replaces the Bank Holiday weekend of Sat 26 to Mon 28 May 2012.
Replaces?? Couldn't they have left the others ones in place and put in a special one, rather than combine them?

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:Perhaps more importantly, has anyone yet started looking at events to run over the Double-Bank-Holiday Jubilee weekend of Sat 2 to Tues 5 June 2012, which replaces the Bank Holiday weekend of Sat 26 to Mon 28 May 2012.

PB
Paul,
I thought the extra bank holiday was merely an idea that has been floated. What's your source for saying it will replace the end of May bank holiday?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:20 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:

PB
Paul,
I thought the extra bank holiday was merely an idea that has been floated. What's your source for saying it will replace the end of May bank holiday?
There will be an extra Bank Holiday for HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012. There may or may not be an extra Bank Holiday for HRH Prince William's wedding in 2011.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote: Paul,
It was announced months ago. And confirmed by any quick google.

e.g.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/ho ... bilee.aspx

PB

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 am

The idea of being in a remote hotel away from all the crap about the wedding sounds like bliss.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 am

For 2012 we will be running Sunningdale as a 9 round FIDE rated tournament with two sections. The top section will qualify for GM/IM/WGM/WIM norms and be open to all whilst the second section will be rating limited to something between 1900 and 2000 (to be decided).

If they throw in a bank holiday in 2011 for the Royal Wedding we'll see what we can do!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:The idea of being in a remote hotel away from all the crap about the wedding sounds like bliss.
These are anti-Royalist sentiments and I shall report you to the Thought Police. My own sentiments on the affair coincide with this essay:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... dding.html

Now to scurry away before the Thought Police nab me and throw me in the nick.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:The idea of being in a remote hotel away from all the crap about the wedding sounds like bliss.
These are anti-Royalist sentiments and I shall report you to the Thought Police. My own sentiments on the affair coincide with this essay:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... dding.html

Now to scurry away before the Thought Police nab me and throw me in the nick.
I have the opposite opinion. However, I think there is a bit too much fuss being made about the wedding of the person who is only second in line to the throne, and probably won't come to the throne in most people's lifetimes.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:However, I think there is a bit too much fuss being made about the wedding of the person who is only second in line to the throne, and probably won't come to the throne in most people's lifetimes.
Gosh! Do you know something we don't? :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:However, I think there is a bit too much fuss being made about the wedding of the person who is only second in line to the throne, and probably won't come to the throne in most people's lifetimes.
Gosh! Do you know something we don't? :D
I'm saying that given Queen Elizabeth II is still going strong, aged 80something (and her mother lived to 100), she's probably still got some way to go before her death. She'll be succeeded by Charles as George VII, who is about 25 years younger. So it'll be 30-40 years before William comes to the throne. So that's quite a long time...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I'm saying that given Queen Elizabeth II is still going strong, aged 80something (and her mother lived to 100), she's probably still got some way to go before her death. She'll be succeeded by Charles as George VII, who is about 25 years younger. So it'll be 30-40 years before William comes to the throne. So that's quite a long time...
The bit about George VII is a bit of a myth, apparently:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/dec/2 ... chaelwhite

To be more precise on the ages, Queen Elizabeth II is 84 (her father, George VI, was 30 when she was born, but she succeeded at the age of 25 of when he died in 1952 at the age of 56), Charles is 62 (22 years younger than his mother), and William is 28 (34 years younger than his father). One newspaper article I saw included the suggestion that Charles should step down early, thus starting a trend of "retirement" like that done by the Dutch royal family.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I'm saying that given Queen Elizabeth II is still going strong, aged 80something (and her mother lived to 100), she's probably still got some way to go before her death. She'll be succeeded by Charles as George VII, who is about 25 years younger. So it'll be 30-40 years before William comes to the throne. So that's quite a long time...
I've heard they may skip a generation. And I've heard that Charles is ambivalent about the throne, considering it a bit of an anachronism, an antiquated relic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
The bit about George VII is a bit of a myth, apparently:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/dec/2 ... chaelwhite

To be more precise on the ages, Queen Elizabeth II is 84 (her father, George VI, was 30 when she was born, but she succeeded at the age of 25 of when he died in 1952 at the age of 56), Charles is 62 (22 years younger than his mother), and William is 28 (34 years younger than his father). One newspaper article I saw included the suggestion that Charles should step down early, thus starting a trend of "retirement" like that done by the Dutch royal family.
Good, I'd much rather he came to the throne as Charles III! Personally, I hope they don't abdicate (rather than retire).
Arshad Ali wrote:
I've heard they may skip a generation. And I've heard that Charles is ambivalent about the throne, considering it a bit of an anachronism, an antiquated relic.
I've heard lots of things too. :wink:

If anything, an ambivalent monarch is a good thing. If Charles starts using it politically, then things could turn nasty...