Kasparov Talks @ Google.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter Rhodes

Kasparov Talks @ Google.

Post by Peter Rhodes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:51 am

Kasparov talks for an hour on a number of subjects : his infamous game vs IBM, Computers, Politics, Magnus Carlsen ,Psychology and Improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hf31xOhchY
Chess Amateur.

matt_ward

Re: Kasparov Talks @ Google.

Post by matt_ward » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Is he still coming up with excuses why IBM computer beat him?

Matt.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 pm

It was pretty unusual for a computer at that time to find a move like f4 in a tournament time limit, and then they took the machine to bits when it would have been so easy to prove Kasparov wrong simply by re-creating the position.
Chess Amateur.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:25 pm

the deep blue team DEFINATELY cheated. No computer was on par with that 'technology' at the time - it is impossible to think that they were at least 10 years ahead of their time with the machine they had created.
It is a scientific fact, virtually.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:the deep blue team DEFINATELY cheated. No computer was on par with that 'technology' at the time - it is impossible to think that they were at least 10 years ahead of their time with the machine they had created.
*definitely

I'm sorry for being pedantic, but if you're going to draw attention to it like that, at least spell it right. :wink:

(I wouldn't normally do this, but 99% of the time I see that word, it's spelt incorrectly.)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:47 pm

What is the plural of pedantic?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:What is the plural of pedantic?
I have noticed this error before, but forgot about it until today. When you click "quote" it sends a private message to somebody instead of making another post in the thread.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Oh, wait a minute, now it is working fine. Something strange is going on tonight.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 am

Joey Stewart wrote:Oh, wait a minute, now it is working fine. Something strange is going on tonight.
Send me some more details please if you are seeing any sort of errors since I have not seen or experienced that one before?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:11 am

Peter Rhodes wrote:It was pretty unusual for a computer at that time to find a move like f4 in a tournament time limit, and then they took the machine to bits when it would have been so easy to prove Kasparov wrong simply by re-creating the position.
I think the move in question was Be4. The logs have been published for all the games which I think pretty much puts the whole thing to rest.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 am

Joey Stewart wrote:the deep blue team DEFINATELY cheated. No computer was on par with that 'technology' at the time - it is impossible to think that they were at least 10 years ahead of their time with the machine they had created.
Bear in mind that in most of the subsequent human vs computer matches, the engines (mostly Fritz or Junior) were running on more or less standard desktop PCs, whereas Deep Blue was the fastest supercomputer IBM could make; its software wasn't as good as later engines, but its hardware was better. The Deep Blue team cheating is very far from being a 'scientific fact'; evidence for it is at best circumstantial and at worst non-existent. Kasparov didn't exactly have a reputation for being gracious in defeat (touch move violation against Polgar; rant about Radjabov's win at Linares being voted the game of the tournament solely because he lost, etc.) so his whinge against Deep Blue was most probably just another case of sour grapes.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 pm

The logs have been published for all the games which I think pretty much puts the whole thing to rest.
By logs - we are talking about the list of candidate moves and the engine evaluation of each ?

If that has been published - where can I find a copy ?
Chess Amateur.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:16 pm

History, finito.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Why is there always somebody who comes along and undermines me sweeping generalisations with 'the facts'