Did you know that you can claim extra time when...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter Lalic

Did you know that you can claim extra time when...

Post by Peter Lalic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm

...your opponent offers a draw and your clock is running?
...if (in a time scramble) your opponent only pushes forward a pawn to the 8th rank and presses his clock?
It sounds like an easy way to gain 2 minutes for doing nothing, which is often decisive when players are down to a minute or so each. I hope to earn a lot of points!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DraganLalic
for free, high-quality videos about chess, for your own improvement. Fun lectures: tactics and endgame courses, my tournament games, others' great games, openings, and blindfold chess!

Alex McFarlane

Re: Did you know that you can claim extra time when...

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm

The second counts as an illegal move - at any time - and has the penalty stated. Three such illegal promotions would lose the game :cry: .

Any penalty for the incorrect offer of a draw is up to the arbiter and would not be an automatic 2 minutes.

Andy Price

Post by Andy Price » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm

Is it ok to use the traditional upturned Rook to represent a Queen when promoting? What happens if both Rooks and Queen are already in play and there is no spare Queen to hand? Can you stop the clock to hunt for a piece to promote to?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Andy Price wrote:Is it ok to use the traditional upturned Rook to represent a Queen when promoting?
No.
What happens if both Rooks and Queen are already in play and there is no spare Queen to hand? Can you stop the clock to hunt for a piece to promote to?
Yes.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Is it ok to use the traditional upturned Rook to represent a Queen when promoting? What happens if both Rooks and Queen are already in play and there is no spare Queen to hand? Can you stop the clock to hunt for a piece to promote to?

Would it be ok if both players agreed to use an upturned rook?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:00 pm

When very short of time I assume that one can deliberately play an illegal move in order to allow your opponent to claim a two minute addition thus allowing one more time?
Am I being silly or do some players use this tactic?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 pm

David Shepherd wrote:Is it ok to use the traditional upturned Rook to represent a Queen when promoting? What happens if both Rooks and Queen are already in play and there is no spare Queen to hand? Can you stop the clock to hunt for a piece to promote to?

A hard arbiter might insist that the promoted piece was a rook - and the opponent might just agree with the arbiter. Jack's answer is not quite accurate. You can stop the clock TO ASK THE ARBITER TO GET THE PIECE. You shouldn't wander off yourself to find one.
John Upham wrote:When very short of time I assume that one can deliberately play an illegal move in order to allow your opponent to claim a two minute addition thus allowing one more time?
The Laws don't say when the two minutes should be added on. In the situation described I would add it on after the time scramble if that was to the advantage of the opponent. I have added it on when the opponent requested it. I have on two occasions not added the time as I felt it would benefit the offender more than the offended. On neither occasion did the game reach the time control.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:11 pm

John Upham wrote:When very short of time I assume that one can deliberately play an illegal move in order to allow your opponent to claim a two minute addition thus allowing one more time?
An arbiter may quote the preface at you, and use a more severe punishment than the one stated.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:The Laws don't say when the two minutes should be added on. In the situation described I would add it on after the time scramble if that was to the advantage of the opponent. I have added it on when the opponent requested it. I have on two occasions not added the time as I felt it would benefit the offender more than the offended. On neither occasion did the game reach the time control.
It was alleged that back in the early days of digital clocks, that a ploy of less scrupulous grand masters was to deliberately play an illegal move when short of time. The idea being that the delay caused whilst the arbiter tried to remember how to add time would be to their advantage. It rather neatly turns the tables for the arbiter to wave play on and wait for flag fall or completion of the time control before adding time. That's one that might be worth adding as a tip for matches where no arbiter is present.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
David Shepherd wrote:Is it ok to use the traditional upturned Rook to represent a Queen when promoting? What happens if both Rooks and Queen are already in play and there is no spare Queen to hand? Can you stop the clock to hunt for a piece to promote to?

A hard arbiter might insist that the promoted piece was a rook - and the opponent might just agree with the arbiter.
I don't disagree with this, but when it's clear that both players have agreed to use an upturned rook, my practice has been to replace it with a queen and leave it at that. The use of the upturned rook is indeed traditional, but nevertheless incorrect. Putting things right but not imposing a penalty seems to me to strike the right balance.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 am

David Sedgwick wrote: I don't disagree with this, but when it's clear that both players have agreed to use an upturned rook, my practice has been to replace it with a queen and leave it at that. The use of the upturned rook is indeed traditional, but nevertheless incorrect. Putting things right but not imposing a penalty seems to me to strike the right balance.
I agree with that. Although once I had a player promote a pawn and put a rook on the board the right way round. The next move he tried to move it as a queen! I told him it was a rook.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 am

At the last event at which I was arbiter, a white upturned rook was used as a black queen, which confused me when I was summoned to confirm checkmate. The loser was quite happy with the arrangement...

If someone tried to claim the 2 extra minutes for the non-promotion in a league match (without arbiter present) there would probably be a huge argument... Better than not claiming the time of course!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: The use of the upturned rook is indeed traditional, but nevertheless incorrect.
Traditional sets only had one queen, so if you were playing at home with just the one set, there was little choice. DGT sensory sets seem to have started a practice of supplying two queens - I think I've sighted spare queens even with non-sensory sets.

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 pm

So if my opponent is about to queen in the time scramble. I should remove any spare queens from his reach. In the recent british rapid play an opponent ensured all major pieces were out of my reach when one of my pawns reached the seventh rank. So I continued to move a pawn as a queen and mated him.
So my moves were illegal ! oh dear.
Last edited by Paul Robson on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Paul Robson wrote:So if my opponent is about to queen in the time scramble. I should remove any spare queens from his reach.
Then just stop the clock and ask the arbiter for a queen.