Page 1 of 2

Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 am
by Gavin Strachan
My lucky pen ran out of luck and my unbeaten run came to an end last night :(

Any suggestions?

Lucky horseshoe?

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
by Joey Stewart
You could break in a new lucky pen by using it against an easy opponent - then you will have captured some of the winning magic without too much trouble.
I forget which of my pens are lucky quite often, but I have a couple of lucky shirts which get pulled from the depths of my wardrobe when I am in need of something special - I have an occasion next tuesday when one will be required, even if it is going to be cold.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Gavin Strachan wrote:My lucky pen ran out of luck and my unbeaten run came to an end last night :(

Any suggestions?

Lucky horseshoe?

I don't so much have a lucky pen as a pen I always use. When I lost the last one I went out and bought one as close to it as possible.

I do have lucky books (booklets really) that I rest my scoresheet on. My usual lucky book is Houdini's Miracle Mongers. I usually switch to something else for the next game after a loss, though.

Solution: have a couple of backup lucky pens.

It's like a crop rotation system.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
In my youth, when I strongly believed in the power of lucky pens, I used to introduce a new pen by using any old pen for the start of a game and then swap over to the candidate new Lucky Pen when my victory was almost certain. If I wasn't winning then the pen would stay in my pocket until the next game. I suppose you could do the opposite as well - if it looks like your position is going down the toilet, switch to a Losing Pen so your Lucky Pen doesn't get tainted by the loss.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm
by Richard Thursby
For some reason this thread brings to mind shooting an arrow at a fence and painting a bullseye round it. :D

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:41 pm
by ThomasThorpe
I have a lucky hat that I sit on.
Long story short, I took my hat off 1 time, accidentally sat on it, and swindled a totally lost game. Only lost 1 game since, and the hat fell off of my seat in that game!

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 pm
by Gavin Strachan
well next day tried to break in a new pen and managed to scrape a draw against someone I usually beat. I'm blaming night shifts as opposed to dodge pen as I should have lost the game and managed to salvage a draw.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:42 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Gavin Strachan wrote:... I should have lost the game and managed to salvage a draw.

The lucky pen works its magic!

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm
by Jon Mahony
I gave up on the concept of a lucky pen a while ago - mine was a fountain pen which I always thought looked rather posh, unfortunately it leaked in my inside pocket at last year’s Halifax Congress and ruined my favourite jacket :roll: - it's cheap biro's nicked on the way out of work now!

The lucky aspect didn’t work so well anyway - after finishing the Saturday on 2.5/3 and looking like one of the favourites in my section I proceeded to get crushed both games on the Sunday and leave with sweet FA.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:47 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Jon Mahony wrote:The lucky aspect didn’t work so well anyway - after finishing the Saturday on 2.5/3 and looking like one of the favourites in my section I proceeded to get crushed both games on the Sunday and leave with sweet FA.
It could have been worse. You could have started with 3/3 and then finished with 0.5/2. :(

I blame this on the fact that on the Sunday I noticed that I'd written the date down wrong on Saturday's scoresheets and I then started writing the correct date on the scoresheets on the Sunday. Clearly the luck needs some date confusion to work properly...

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:54 pm
by Joey Stewart
Maybe your opponents on the sunday had even luckier pens then you.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 pm
by Gavin Strachan
Well I won the U170 rapid at the London Classic and didn't use a pen, though I noted that most of my opponents except in the last round wrote their moves down.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 pm
by Paul Robson
I start every congress with a new lucky pen, (often just a borrowed one) , trouble is the luck runs out faster than the ink!

My lucky chess underpants work wonders mind but that’s another story completely!!(corrected nice one Simon)

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:57 pm
by Simon Spivack
Paul Robson wrote:My lucky chess underpants work wonders mind but that’s another storey completely!!
I bet that raises the house.

Re: Lucky Pen

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
I'm going to try the Lucky Cap Gambit tonight for the first time. I shall report back.