Letters in The Times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Littlewood

Letters in The Times

Post by Paul Littlewood » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:31 am

There has been an article about the benefits of chess to children in The Times recently and then several follow-up letters. I wrote a reply to a letter on Wednesday but I see that Stewart also did and got his letter published. What is the secret Stewart ? .....because I notice that you have had several letters published over the years whereas I have only ever had one !

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Letters in The Times

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 pm

I know someone who got a letter published in the Evening Standard, and they said they were on a list of people the editor at the time would contact if they wanted letters on a certain subject (in this case, local politics) published. I've always been a bit suspicious of letter columns ever since. The way to get a mobile phone txt message published in Metro, it seems (for instance), is to moan creatively about how you've never been published before, and hey presto! I doubt this would work for The Times though.

David Sedgwick

Re: Letters in The Times

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Paul Littlewood wrote:What is the secret Stewart ? .....because I notice that you have had several letters published over the years whereas I have only ever had one !
I think it helps if you have an official position, currently ECF Director of Marketing in Stewart's case.