Should Grading limits be changed in leagues

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Should Grading limits be changed in leagues

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 am

Richard Thursby wrote:I vaguely remember reading at least one set of league rules that included such provisions,
For reading, read Reading.

It's established practice in the Berks League to swop designations. So Reading A are in the bottom two of division 1 and Reading B are in in the top two of division 2 (or Reading B and Reading C for that matter). The league structure for the new season is approved by the AGM so proposals that say that Reading B aren't relegated and Reading C aren't promoted are not uncommon. Unlike the London League and the 4NCL, there are no actual prohibitions on having three teams in the same division. I would accept that it isn't desirable so proposals to avoid it are put to the AGM.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 am

Richard Thursby wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: What happens if DK3 get promoted and both DK1 and DK2 go down? :lol:
One would hope that in any situation where, due to promotion and relegation a nominally higher team is in a lower division than a nominally lower team than sense would prevail and the higher team wouldn't go down and the lower team wouldn't go up. In the case of DK3 finishing in the top 2 of division 2 and DK1 and DK2 bringing up the rear in division 1, then the net effect should be that DK2 gets relegated, DK1 remain in division 1 and DK3 remain in division 2.
I agree with what you say here, but it wasn't quite what I was referring to. The hypothetical situation I was referring to is one where a league of several divisions could potentially have three teams in it, and there are provisions preventing three teams from the same club being in a single division - logically you would except the lower team to be excluded from promotion, but as the London League is a two up and two down system of four divisions, there are several ways this scenario could arise, and the way it gets dealt with might be different in each case. I think there are cases where relegation could be problematic and this could cause real difficulty.

*(A) All three teams join together in the highest division that the highest team(s) are in (for argument's sake, the example used here is the top division). Either because two are there already and a third is about to be promoted to join them, or because one is there already and two are about to be promoted. In this case, the lowest team is probably told they have to stay in the lower division.

*(B) All three teams join together in the lowest division that the lowest team(s) are in (for argument's sake, the example used here is the bottom division). Either because two are there already and a third is about to be relegated to join them, or because one is there already and two are about to be relegated. In this case, do you tell the higher team that they aren't relegated (not usually possible), or do you tell the club that they have to disband one of the teams (if they have all ended up in the lowest division), or do you tell one of the teams in the lower division that avoided relegation that because (an)other team(s) from the same club got relegated into their division, they will have to drop down another division?

*(C) All three teams join together in an intermediate division (for argument's sake, call this division B). Either one is there already and one gets promoted from division C to join them and another gets relegated from division A to join them (the most likely scenario), or two get promoted from division C and one gets relegated from division A, or one gets promoted from division C and two get relegated from division A. In the case where two get promoted, you can tell the lower of the two promoted teams that they aren't getting promoted. But in the other cases, you could get examples where a team winning a division don't get promoted because one or other of their higher teams were inconsiderate enough to be relegated into the division the lower team thought they were being promoted into, but the teams coming second and third may then get promoted instead!

All the above would be even more likely if a club fielded N or N+ teams over N divisions.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am

Since the Haslemere Trophy has been mentioned in this thread I thought I would share the following result with you :

http://www.borderleague.org.uk/match_ca ... tureid=283

Enjoy! :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D