French Chess Federation investigates cheating players

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gareth Harley-Yeo

Re: French Chess Federation investigates cheating players

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Mick Norris wrote: So, how do other congress organisers find out about this? It is no good blaming people for not doing something when they don't know anything about it - name and shame
Should the ECF have a blacklist available to congress organisers/everyone?

Would something not need to be proved before a name goes on it?

Once on it, would it be there for life even if Mr C.Heater cleaned up his act? (just a thought)

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I did bring the player to the attention off the NCCU
I am Clevelands rep and a few other reps are congress organisers i thaught this was the best way to deal with the player
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Re what was removed by Señor Rudd from my earlier post, permit me to clarify:

if, in 1991, Eley was awoken at his Yorkshire home by Police Officers who interrogated him based upon 43 sworn affadavits attesting to his being a paedophile and then charged him I find it remarkable that within 48 hours he was able to sell his vehicles and property and flee the country.

Which of us might manage that, even were we not facing prosecution for very serious crimes?

I think we would need help.

As I understand it his business was his only known means of support.

Police presumably know who bought Eley´s vehicles and his house and also, if he did sell it, his business.
I should like to know those names.

Mayhap they are one and the same name?¿! :shock:
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some content removed for legal reasons

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm not going to name names because I can't actually prove this, but some time ago I played someone in the major section of a rapidplay whose standard grade would have made him one of the top players in the open section. I know some people are better at one time control than another, but a difference of 40ish between the two grades struck me as unusually high, and it seemed a remarkable coincidence that his rapid grade was precisely low enough for the major - just one point more and he'd have had to play in the open. I didn't bother saying anything to the organisers, since a) I couldn't prove it and b) I won the game anyway. My opponent's behaviour during and after the game was also somewhat less than gracious, although of course that in itself is not necessarily evidence that there was anything underhand going on.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It looks like "Bureau Fédéral" is part of the structure of the FFE. i.e. it is still internal. Though goodness knows why French organisations are split between a committee and a bureau. I suppose there are English equivalents. Maybe the Board and the Council for the ECF? (Maybe even in that order).

It all hinges on what "porter cette affaire devant les juridictions pénales" means.
I don't know about the FFE specifically, but from my experience of France in general I can safely say that they wouldn't need a reason to introduce an extra layer of bureaucracy - I'd be more surprised to find any organisation in France which managed to operate with the absolute minimum number of people and committees.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Disagree. It is 100% acceptable.
I am not even certain that he got the business from Eley.
(Do you know if he did?)

And I posted nothing to that effect.

Are you saying I am innacurate in posting that Mr Butterworth was an associate of Eley´s?

SOMEBODY must have helped Eley to sell his property and vehicles. Maybe more than one person. I never suggested it was Butterworth.
But whoever did buy those helped Eley, not necessarily in an illegal nor even an immoral way. But by expediting the necessary sale of those things so quickly they helped him to flee, although that might not have been their intent.

I should like to know the name(s) of whosoever bought his property and vehicles off him like that. If somebody offered you such a deal you would be suspicious would you not, Mr Lazenby?
And if somebody bought his business then I should like to know who that was too.

No: there was nothing libellous nor even contentious in what I posted.
I stand by it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 pm

If by property, you mean house, then assuming you knew the address, the Land Registry will give you the answer
Any postings on here represent my personal views

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Afraid I don´t.
But the Police must have the gen.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Happy to acknowledge that a Yorks copper knows more about how Eley was apprehended than I. I think Gary Kenworthy told me they´d knocked on his door very early one morning and that 43 affadavits had been sworn against him.
Another investigating Yorks Police officer told me that he had sold his house and vehicles in 48 hours and done a bunk.
Was he wrong too?
It is very contentious for you to bring Andrew Butterworth into your posts regarding Brian Eley. You worded your post in a way that questions Andrews knowledge of what Eley was up to when he sold up , thats even assuming Andrew bought the business and house which is actually nothing to do with anyone except the Police and Brian Eley.

At no time in the last 19 years has Andrew Butterworths name ever been mentioned in connection with Eley and his alleged offences. Its really not for you to to make any reference to him.
Why not? Yorkshire chess suppliers are thin on the ground, pal. It´s a very small world. I never said Butterworth had done anything wrong.
The way YOU´ve worded your (curiously) strident reply suggests that you know more about how and to whom the vehicles, house and business were sold ( if the latter were sold ) than you choose to divulge on this forum.
That, of course, being your prerogative.
But the manner of these rapid sales could quite possibly throw light upon how Eley fled. I therefore cannot concur that it´s only for him and the Police to know.
Brian Eley deserves to be put before a court to be tried and either acquited or convicted and in that respect I have done my bit by passing on snippets of information to Interpol via crime stoppers... there wil be those in the country who dont want him found because of the massive adverse publicity a subsequent court case will attract follwoing on from some others.
I salute your efforts to bring him to justice.
The last words of that paragraph are an eye-opener. And they shock me.
Its very regretable that Andrew Butterworth of Chess Direct Limited has been brought into the ongoing story.
Well, I say again; anyone who can throw light on any aspect of the sales, is, to my mind, someone who ought to be questioned as it might supply clues about Eley´s intent.

And you still have not said if Butterworth bought Eley´s business.
Last edited by James Plaskett on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Can SOMEBODY, purely in the interests of accuracy and to enlighten Messrs Plaskett and Lazenby, say whether Butterworth´s chess supply business he bought from Eley?

And should someone also be able to say to whom Eley´s house and vehicles were sold we should also all be appreciative.

Muchas gracias.

PS: http://www.innocent.org.uk/cases/brianely/index.html is an odd coincidence thrown up by an internet search I made some years back.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm

What was Brian Eley's business called? There's no reason we should have to leave our keyboard to learn the true truth about this matter.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am

I am too tired to deal with this thread at the moment, and I'm travelling back all day tomorrow. Carl, this one is your call.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:07 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I am too tired to deal with this thread at the moment, and I'm travelling back all day tomorrow. Carl, this one is your call.
At the very least the off-topic parts should be split into a new thread, no matter how difficult that is. It would make subsequent dealing with it much easier. Of all the reasons to delete stuff from this thread (and stuff has already been binned), I thought it would be about the actual topic, not something else...

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 am

The common theme is indifference by the chess community to what goes on in their world. I mentioned two other improprieties.
You say Butterworth´s business began in 1991. Seems then merely a question of putting 2 and 2 together.
If a man suddenly sells his "life" then that should arouse suspicion in any potential buyer, Ernie.
And that´s a fair comment.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am

James Plaskett wrote:If a man suddenly sells his "life" then that should arouse suspicion in any potential buyer, Ernie.
And that´s a fair comment.
The problem with that comment is that the seller in question was (if we accept the unproven alegations against him to be true, which most of us seem to) an intelligent, manipulative, imaginative, and convincing liar.

The problem with the way you've brought up this question is that you've implied a chain of events A->B rather than A->?->?->-B in which B is entirely innocent in the latter sequence and thus need not have been mentioned.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am

It has not been covered in depth and I for one would like to know what happened.