French Chess Federation investigates cheating players

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Louchart

Re: French Chess Federation investigates cheating players

Post by Simon Louchart » Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The debate, if there is one, seems to involve the finer points of the French approach to revenue and expense recognition when applied to a sports body with both membership and sponsorship income.

Perhaps if he is banned, Feller is looking forward to a fresh career as a chartered accountant.
Indeed, I am not an accountant myself, but the website Europe-echecs asked an expert to assess Sebastien Feller's accusations, and the conclusion is (approximately):
"According to documents submitted to our accounting expert, it thus appears that the accusations of Sebastien Feller are false . His accusations of financial delicts in the management of the FFE are based on a complete misunderstanding of basic concepts of accounting."

which is pretty much closing the case (at least for me)
Designer of Chess trainer
My blog (still under construction)
My Twitter
Chess Trainer facebook page

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Simon Louchart wrote:Indeed, I am not an accountant myself, but the website Europe-echecs asked an expert to assess Sebastien Feller's accusations, and the conclusion is ...

which is pretty much closing the case (at least for me)

And I am not a lawyer, but surely replying "well you committed fraud" is not actually a defence to an accusation of cheating at chess by illicit use of computers and it still isn't even if the accuser did actually commit fraud.

Or am I missing something?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 11, 2011 12:52 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:And I am not a lawyer, but surely replying "well you committed fraud" is not actually a defence to an accusation of cheating at chess by illicit use of computers and it still isn't even if the accuser did actually commit fraud.

The suggestion, surely, is that Feller was framed because he was a whistleblower.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 am

David Sedgwick wrote: The suggestion, surely, is that Feller was framed because he was a whistleblower.
The problem with that theory is that the two principal framers would have been the alleged co-conspirators. It doesn't seem to have been Feller's defence that he always handed his phone to the match captain whilst in play. Therefore he wouldn't have any knowledge of what text messages may have been sent and was concentrating on his own games far too much to be aware of any spectating patterns by his match captain.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:And I am not a lawyer, but surely replying "well you committed fraud" is not actually a defence to an accusation of cheating at chess by illicit use of computers and it still isn't even if the accuser did actually commit fraud.

The suggestion, surely, is that Feller was framed because he was a whistleblower.

Well that would make sense David, but wouldn't it have come up before now? If memory serves, wasn't the original defence that he was being victimised because he was pro Kirsan when the French authorities were Anti? Or was that one of the others?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

Well that would make sense David, but wouldn't it have come up before now? If memory serves, wasn't the original defence that he was being victimised because he was pro Kirsan when the French authorities were Anti? Or was that one of the others?
No, the Kirsan point was Feller as well.

The financial issue did come up some time ago. It just took longer than usual to reach this Forum.

Prior to or shortly after the whole matter becoming public, Feller and/or his supporters contended that he was being victimised for some or all of the following three reasons (and possibly others that I haven't picked up):

1. That he was pro Ilyumzhinov whereas the FFE (French Chess Federation) was supporting Karpov.
2. That he had exposed alleged financial irregularities within the FFE.
3. That one of his principle accusers, FFE Vice-President Joanna Pomian, harboured a grudge against him because a few years ago he had been selected to represent France at a number of Junior events in preference to her son.

As you've pointed out, he would still have a case to answer even if all three of these allegations were true.

John Wright

Post by John Wright » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 am

Now even the Computers are cheating;

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/rybka ... pionships/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:17 am

John Wright wrote:Now even the Computers are cheating;
Humans are helping them by allegedly copying code from one engine to another.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:21 pm

From Susan Polgar's blog.....

There is a continuation of “Feller’s case”. Yesterday Versailles trial court suspended the decision of the French Chess Federation (FCF) about disqualification of Sebastien Feller and Arnaud Hauchard due to procedural infractions on the side of the federation.

These two chess-players are allowed to play again till the final verdict is delivered. Interestingly enough, this decision doesn’t apply to Cyril Marzolo, the third person involved in the case, since he didn’t file an appeal.

Feller and Hauchard are expected to play in the French Championship which is to be held in August in Caen.

According to the comments by the French chess website Europe-Echecs, in the nearest future there is a possibility of absolutely unexpected course of events, notably, parties can reach the out-of-court settlement.

It will be recalled that in March this year the FCF Disciplinary Committee found Sebastien Feller, Arnaud Hauchard, and Cyril Marzolo guilty of violation of ethical norms at the last Olimpics in Khanty-Mansiysk.

Source: whychess.org

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm