Does playing to much online chess effect your game?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Doess playing to much online chess effect your game?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Gavin, IIRC Edward Winter once espoused something like "it is not wrong to be a pedant, but it is to be a sloppy pedant".......

Soz, mate :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

darren webb

Post by darren webb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm

i think this pedantry is over the top. everyone understands the thread title and the opening post. spelling ability is in no way connected to enthusiasm for chess. pedantry is a way of putting off people who may have something interesting or useful to say but aren't good at spelling or are dyslexic from posting.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:20 pm

This is the last time I EVER write on this forum. People pre- judging on no evidence at all, I therefore will not be posting anymore views or anything on this forum.

God Bless. :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Matt.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm

If only chess-players were so pedantic when they record their moves. :wink:

darren webb

Post by darren webb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 pm

matt_ward wrote:This is the last time I EVER write on this forum. People pre- judging on no evidence at all, I therefore will not be posting anymore views or anything on this forum.

Matt.
don't let people put you off. this is a good question and has the potential to be a good thread. personally, i find playing online has helped me learn openings better.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

matt_ward wrote:This is the last time I EVER write on this forum. People pre- judging on no evidence at all, I therefore will not be posting anymore views or anything on this forum.

Matt.
I think that "NO" evidence is pushing it a bit...

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:15 pm

darren webb wrote:i think this pedantry is over the top. everyone understands the thread title and the opening post. spelling ability is in no way connected to enthusiasm for chess. pedantry is a way of putting off people who may have something interesting or useful to say but aren't good at spelling or are dyslexic from posting.
Agreed. It may be slightly more difficult to read, but if that's a massive problem then don't read it?!

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 am

Typing from a mobile... that's my excuse for the English (and always will be until I get it right!).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 am

Justin Hadi wrote:
darren webb wrote:i think this pedantry is over the top. everyone understands the thread title and the opening post. spelling ability is in no way connected to enthusiasm for chess. pedantry is a way of putting off people who may have something interesting or useful to say but aren't good at spelling or are dyslexic from posting.
Agreed. It may be slightly more difficult to read, but if that's a massive problem then don't read it?!
There's a difference between people who are dyslexic or have other genuine difficulties and people who are perfectly capable of writing clearly and accurately but are not prepared to make the effort.

For my part, I'm prepared to make the effort to try and understand those in the first group. I make no apologies for scrolling past when I encounter those in the second.

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

omg guyz, lyk, srsly, chill yo?

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote: Also there is a lot of ideas you which you could not possibly ...
Matt, you should be counterattacking not retreating mate!

Re the original question: Provided that you only play on-line chess when you are able to give it your full focus,quitting when you are tired or distracted,then I think it can a very good thing. It can sharpen you up, improve your pattern recognition, and help with your openings. As much fun as it can be, I'm not sure that there is any benefit to playing 'bullet' chess though.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:34 pm

The fact I do have some difficulties with the English Language I am not a coward to say that, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I don't make the effort.

Thanks for the confidence though and for the view on what I originally posted. It amazes me how people always side track onto a few inaccurate grammatical mistakes.

Regarding your view on bullet chess I am with you that bullet chess is totally pointless. It can not really be defined as chess.

Matt.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

I play bullet games online, you don't have to put any effort in and they are over very quickly.

I don't think they do much for my chess but they can be amusing.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2011.02.28"]
[White "rome_otillo"]
[Black "DC-poc"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "971"]
[BlackElo "1506"]
[TimeControl "1|10"]
[Termination "rome_otillo won by checkmate"]

1.e4 f6 2.Bc4 h5 3.Qf3 d6 4.d3 Bg4 5.Qg3 g5 6.f3 Bd7 7.Bxg5 fxg5 8.Qxg5 e5 9.Qg6+ Ke7 10.Qf7#
1-0

I've just noticed this isn't bullet, meh...blitz sucks too.

BTW, I'm the higher rated player being mated. :P
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

I shall be cutting back on my online chess, I think playing online Blitz has put me into bad habits - in the recent Doncaster Congress (in which I did terribly) I found myself only having only used 3 quarters of an hour in 4 of my games - I am a naturally fast player, but not that fast.

I always tell myself “Okay, keep playing online but do 20 minute games” but then I still go through them like I’ve only got 5. So I think I shall quit live chess online for the moment.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Jon Mahony

Re: Does playing to much online chess effect your game?

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Jon
As long as you do what your signature says, you shouldn't go wrong.
Indeed! :roll: :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker