Page 1 of 3

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am
by Richard Thursby
The first answer that comes to mind is Bobby Fischer (Rob, another diminutive of Robert is steal, and the man with the rod and the reel is a fisher(man). I don't see how the hurt bit fits in.). I wouldn't be surprised if, had this been a question on QI, I would have scored at most -10 points for such an answer.

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 am
by John Saunders
Rob 'urt

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 pm
by John Saunders
Topalov? (top a loaf?)

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm
by IanDavis
Topshop?

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm
by John Saunders
Victoria Cmilyte (I've a feeling it must be 'Victor' somebody)

n.b. if it's the above, it rather depends on how you think the surname should be pronounced. The way Victoria says it, it sounds roughly like 'Chimmel eater'.

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:37 pm
by Gavin Strachan
I was trying to think of one for the Pert brothers but it would have got me banned from the forum. Esp Richard Pert.

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 pm
by Daniel Young
Weigh up the heat... Summerscale?

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm
by Alexander Hardwick
Warren Kingston wrote:Another one: -

Weigh up the heat with with this woolly jumper.

Grandmaster
Daniel Young wrote:Weigh up the heat... Summerscale?
You'll have to explain where the woolly jumper comes into this one... :oops:

How about compiling these into a chess-themed cryptic crossword?

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:49 pm
by Matthew Turner
David Gnawwood - got one!

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 pm
by Matthew Turner
How far away are the Giants?

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 pm
by Carol Williams
You guys need to get out more

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:10 pm
by Matthew Turner
"Does not emit any friction"

It's a trick - not a player, but an opening. The accelerated Dragon?

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:23 pm
by Carol Williams
Warren - Excellent decision - although I am a white wine person myself :D

Re: A little cryptic

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:31 pm
by Carol Williams
I like your wife :)