Forum usage

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Martin Crichton

Re: Forum usage

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:57 pm

what have I missed? I read this tread and found nothing contencious in anything posted here
some was quite funny though.....some references suggesting a grown man was reduced to tears? very questionable IMO...I'd need to see evidence (I am a cynic by nature...as my dad used to tell me....believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see!
Legal action threatened against one of the forums characters...Justin Horton? like saying John Mac Enroe should be banned from tennis because of his outbursts and one thing I absolutely agree on...this is not a childrens forum....quite dull and boring at times...needs a bit of spicing up:) keep up the banter lads...much appreciated.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi everyone.

I think we all know that some of SR's behaviour was not correct, he threatened after all to deluge the forum in re-opened but irrelevant discontinued threads, if we didn't stop talking about topics that he disapproved of, by people that he disapproved of, and he also made (unconvincing) legal threats.

Nevertheless, Carl has dealt with the matter, and I think it would be best if we all now dropped the matter.

SR is clearly in a fragile mental state, and we really ought not to want any consequences of that on our consciences.

I hope, Simon, that you seek any help that you might need at this moment, and that your recovery is strong and complete.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:22 pm

I FIRST CAME UPON THIS THREAD TODAY AND, AS IS MY PRACTICE, STARTED AT THE END.

You all should note that, referring to people just by their initials or first name, is likely to lead to misunderstandings.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I don't think Paul M meant to tread on Stewart R's toe.

And...

" ... believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see!"

Great advice from Martin (the) C(ynic) there.

The thing what we've been trying to work out here, while he and the illustrious Prof. (David R) been away, contemplating their navels, is -

Which half of what we see is to be believed?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:22 pm
You all should note that, referring to people just by their initials or first name, is likely to lead to misunderstandings.
Initials are indeed dangerous. First names are normally okay in context, particularly if followed by an initial, eg David S.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:10 pm
Hi everyone.

I think we all know that some of SR's behaviour was not correct, he threatened after all to deluge the forum in re-opened but irrelevant discontinued threads, if we didn't stop talking about topics that he disapproved of, by people that he disapproved of, and he also made (unconvincing) legal threats.

Nevertheless, Carl has dealt with the matter, and I think it would be best if we all now dropped the matter.

SR is clearly in a fragile mental state, and we really ought not to want any consequences of that on our consciences.

I hope, Simon, that you seek any help that you might need at this moment, and that your recovery is strong and complete.
I agree. It was not my intention to bully Simon. I apologise to him and will take a break from the forum.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm
I agree. It was not my intention to bully Simon. I apologise to him and will take a break from the forum.
Paul, you were firm and patient, nothing about what you wrote or how you wrote it could be construed as bullying.

However, I think all has been said on the matter that needs said, and keeping some of these threads live for long might well be seen as schadenfreude, taking pleasure in another's pain.

I think we should all just drop it, and I would implore Simon to seek help if he is feeling put upon, depressed or worse.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:51 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:22 pm
I FIRST CAME UPON THIS THREAD TODAY AND, AS IS MY PRACTICE, STARTED AT THE END.

Sorry, Stewart, no confusion intended!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Well done Paul Mac. Perhaps we can move on from here.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 pm

I'd like to second what John Moore posted above.

(And to note that I don't see so many on the forum today so perhaps some people have literally been able to "move on" - back to work in particular and a more active life in general.)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:23 am

I would like to apologise for my outburst back in mid June on the forum. I have sent a large number of PMs to forum members. I sincerely hope we can move on and hope to be forgiven one day.
I would also like to apologise for the number of Deaths and Obituaries that I will have to report over the next few days. Some are going back a couple of months.
Sorry for the belated apologies as I don't have a laptop and just rely on a smart phone which has battery problems and limited data usage.