The master game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
benedgell

Re: The master game

Post by benedgell » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 pm

I've got the Master Game Books, and there's no mention of 41...Nxd4

To quote after 41.g5

" Miles: 'If I get a position where he plays g6, the endings are awful; he's always threatening to sacrifice something on the K-side. Let's analyse hxg5, rook runs back on the f-file, Nb4+; Ke2, Rc2; Kd1 maybe that's not so terrible. It would depend on where's his rook. If he plays Rf1, I have Rxb2. I'm still kicking because I'm winning his Q-side. If he puts his rook on f2, though, that's a problem. hxg5, Rf2, Nb4+,Ke2, Rc2, Kd1, end. It's horrible. What can I do? If he plays g6 I'm as good as dead, and if I lose the h-pawn I'm as good as dead. I've got to hope he doesn't put his rook on f2."

41... hxg5

Nigel chose the wrong square, and Tony Miles breathed again"

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

It seems to me that Nxd4, whilst a good tactical idea, fails to Nd6-which attacks the rook and guards the c4 square. White can then take the Knight next move.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Chris J Greatorix wrote:It seems to me that Nxd4, whilst a good tactical idea, fails to Nd6-which attacks the rook and guards the c4 square. White can then take the Knight next move.
You would be wrong though... Look a bit deeper.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:39 pm

yeah there seems to be a check on e5 followed by taking on d6. Maybe both sides missed that the intermezo of Nd6 wasn't as storng as it initially looks. So Nigel should just accept he's lost a pawn, but the minor piece ending looks drawn because of the Biship's pressure on h6.