Something more important - LCC 2011

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Something more important - LCC 2011

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Steering clear of the trivialities (with apologies if it's already been discussed)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7112

Matt Fletcher

Re: Something more important - LCC 2011

Post by Matt Fletcher » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

In 2001? Interesting timing...

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Matt Fletcher wrote:In 2001? Interesting timing...
It's a tournament ahead of its time.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:47 am

Richard Bates wrote:Steering clear of the trivialities (with apologies if it's already been discussed)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7112
Thanks for the tip-off Richard. Interesting that there's going to be an odd number of players. Can anybody think of the last major tournament with this format?

Good news that the tournament continues. Seems like London is experiencing a Golden Age of top-level chess just now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Can anybody think of the last major tournament with this format (odd number of players)?
Linares in its later years tried it.

As previously observed, the stage at Olympia is only large enough for four boards.

The timing format is now Sat,Sun, Mon-Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon.

Assuming there will be an International Open alongside, we await the announcement of its format.

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

This tournament set a standard for how world class events should be run. Can't wait for the next instalment.

I wonder if the tournament will stick with the regular field of players + 1 other (Aronian??)?

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 pm

I noticed in an interview with the President Russian Chess Federation at the excellent site "Chess in Translation" that a best-ever line up has been announced for the Tal Memorial in Moscow including Anand, Carlsen and Aronian. However I noted that it ends only several days before the announced start date for LCC 2011. The interview also mentions a Mind Sports event in China that directly clashes with the LCC in which it is implied that many of the world's top players will be featured.

I wonder in the face of the above whether the LCC will struggle to attract the top names this year? In view of the number of top events that have been cancelled it would be a great pity if this happened due to a simple clash of dates. Fingers crossed

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Jonathan Bryant > Interesting that there's going to be an odd number of players. Can anybody think of the last major tournament with this format?<
This format was last used in London in 1975 at the Evening Standard London Chess Fortnight. There were 11 players. I wanted the odd one to be available for such as simuls, commentary, etc. Tony Miles won and got his first GM norm there. Timman and Adorjan played. 41 wins out of 55 games. Of course Linares was much stronger. I have no idea why that format was chosen there. there have been a few double round 7 player events recently in the Ukraine. I have no idea why.

Stewart Reuben
Stewart Reuben

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:01 pm

The plan is to have A and B weekend tournaments at either end of the event, with British Championship Qualifying places at each of those events and a one-game-a-day 9 round FIDE Open, with no rest day so it finishes on the last Sunday. There will be Rapidplays on each Sunday, and blitz tournaments every evening, a FIDE Arbiter seminar, and many other events including a Women's Invitational and Grandmaster simuls.

I think it will be a busy 10 days!

I don't know who the extra player will be, but I put my (optimistic) vote in for Steward Hamlet.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:28 pm

It sounds like a good format all round.

At the risk of getting shot down, I think it would be interesting to see some new faces in the top event.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Matthew Peat wrote:I noticed in an interview with the President Russian Chess Federation at the excellent site "Chess in Translation" that a best-ever line up has been announced for the Tal Memorial in Moscow including Anand, Carlsen and Aronian. However I noted that it ends only several days before the announced start date for LCC 2011. The interview also mentions a Mind Sports event in China that directly clashes with the LCC in which it is implied that many of the world's top players will be featured.

I wonder in the face of the above whether the LCC will struggle to attract the top names this year? In view of the number of top events that have been cancelled it would be a great pity if this happened due to a simple clash of dates. Fingers crossed
I alerted Malcolm Pein to the clash with the Mind Sports event as long ago as 3rd April. He sent me a polite acknowledgment indicating that he knew anyway.

I'm optimistic that your fears will prove to be unfounded.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:The plan is to have A and B weekend tournaments at either end of the event, with British Championship Qualifying places at each of those events and a one-game-a-day 9 round FIDE Open, with no rest day so it finishes on the last Sunday. There will be Rapidplays on each Sunday, and blitz tournaments every evening, a FIDE Arbiter seminar, and many other events including a Women's Invitational and Grandmaster simuls.
Does the fact that the Weekenders will have British Qualifying Places mean that the intention is for them to be FIDE rated?

It sounds like the event will be excellent once again!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 am

Eoin Devane wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:The plan is to have A and B weekend tournaments at either end of the event, with British Championship Qualifying places at each of those events and a one-game-a-day 9 round FIDE Open, with no rest day so it finishes on the last Sunday. There will be Rapidplays on each Sunday, and blitz tournaments every evening, a FIDE Arbiter seminar, and many other events including a Women's Invitational and Grandmaster simuls.
Does the fact that the Weekenders will have British Qualifying Places mean that the intention is for them to be FIDE rated?

It sounds like the event will be excellent once again!
Not this time around - the schedule might be a little tight, although format suggestions are welcome ;-) We have BCQs awarded by the SCCU and ECF for the weekenders, and for the FIDE Open.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 am

Adam Raoof wrote:We have BCQs awarded by the SCCU and ECF for the weekenders, and for the FIDE Open.
I'm confused.

I can understand that the SCCU can award one its x places to the London Classic as a qualifier.

Does the other weekender get a qualifying spot because London is one of the six biggest congresses?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:We have BCQs awarded by the SCCU and ECF for the weekenders, and for the FIDE Open.
I'm confused.

I can understand that the SCCU can award one its x places to the London Classic as a qualifier.

Does the other weekender get a qualifying spot because London is one of the six biggest congresses?
Yes.

The Open receives a Qualifying Place by virtue of being FIDE Rated.

The Classic also receives a Qualifying Place because it is one of the six largest Congresses. That place will be allocated to one of the Weekend Opens.

Adam is slightly premature regarding the SCCU as the award of a place has not yet been confirmed. However, the SCCU Executive Committee is likely to do this shortly. That place will be awarded to the other Weekend Open.

An SCCU place has become vacant as Hastings are unable to use the place originally awarded to them. (See http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/sccu.htm, Item 4 of the Meeting held on 8th April 2011.)