Does money buy success?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Re: Does money buy success?

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:17 pm

kishanpattni wrote: I also agree in discussing any problems you have with your team before coming on here.
Kishan
I believe, but could be wrong, Matt has since left the club in question. :(
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JamesMurphy

Post by JamesMurphy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 pm

John Upham wrote: Are you confining your thoughts to players only or do your comments extend to include the entire chess industry and associated services?

I know a large number of persons who make a living from chess. Some of them are players and some are players with other chess activities in their portfolio.
John,

Mainly professional chess players. You possibly could make part of your living writing articles for local/national newspapers (although again you're probably more likely to make money doing something else).

Clearly chess.com and ICC make a living from chess players so those sorts of services I can definitely see a place for because they provide a constant service and more reliable income.

So in answer yes players only...
http://www.jmblogger.com - My blog, chess, film and life
http://www.chorltonchess.com - the Home of Chorlton Chess Club

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I am aware that some clubs have restrictions to the number of players they are willing to pay a fee for.

Similar to in football, there is the ongoing debate on weather or not to restrict the number of non-british players in a squad, the possibility of restricting the number of titled players maybe worth considering (example no more than 4 out of 8 players, in a match maybe titled players). I'm not saying it is a brilliant idea as I have no in depth knowledge on the pros and cons but one way of looking at it is it may reduce the possibility of the wealthier club winning a match.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:34 pm

My thaughts are this if the profesionals that get paid become commited to said club and help weaker players analise there games ect what is the problem.If the said profesionals just turn up play there game and disapear then i would have a problem with that.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Following on from winning a table tennis match in the Guildford League I attended the Rose and Crown Public House in Godalming (home of the Drunken Knights, Surrey Border League branch) and found a pub full of GMs and WFMs playing a mixture of darts and Texas Hold 'em (not at the same time) plus a feast of sandwiches, sausage rolls and other comestibles. :lol:

See http://www.borderleague.org.uk/club.php ... n=20112012

This is a superb little genuine pub selling great beer providing a home to a very friendly bunch of players including Simon Williams, Keith Arkell, Mark Hebden, Luis Gallego and Ally Wilson. :D

Unfortunately, the opposition Captain had forfeited the match the day before but sportingly Nick Pert turned up anyway. I believe that all of the players (from both teams) were keen to play the match.

So, the match, which was billed to be the strongest five board league match in English Chess,(bottom board was Arkell vs B. Lalic!) never happened, which, was very disappointing for the players, spectators, groupies, hangers-on and media hacks. :(

I would also note that this pub is much easier to fall out of than The Thatched Cottage in Cove which, I have fallen out of on at least two occasions. A colleague fell out so badly that she had to attend A&E at Frimley Park Hospital for a twisted ankle.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Having strong titled players boosts a club and must be a good attraction but it doesn't necessarily bring success.

You can make money out of chess, but like football you have to be very good and in the premier league of players. These players tend to be around the 2800 mark mind as opposed to the 2700 or less who make the big bucks (sorry about the pun).

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Actually adding onto this, other players not in that top bracket have made money from other chess means (DVD's, books, etc) but not sure how that financially compares with what the top end players in. One good book that sells loads can bring in millions. Andrew Martin makes a living from other chess related activities to name but one and he isn't a top GM.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 am

Following on from winning a table tennis match in the Guildford League I attended the Rose and Crown Public House in Godalming (home of the Drunken Knights, Surrey Border League branch) and found a pub full of GMs and WFMs playing a mixture of darts and Texas Hold 'em (not at the same time) plus a feast of sandwiches, sausage rolls and other comestibles. :lol:
That sounds a whole lot of fun
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:51 am

Sandhurst A seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 am

Mike Truran wrote:Sandhurst A seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
Sandhurst A and C have withdrawn from the Surrey Border League although, curiously the B team has been retained. The B team was created to allow Simon McCullough to play board one.

Sandhurst A have withdrawn from the Berkshire League along with their Premier Precision Cup Team.

I spoke with a long term member of Sandhurst yesterday and he had heard nothing about the withdrawals.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:09 pm

One would have thought that the previous quote...
Unfortunately, the opposition Captain had forfeited the match the day before but sportingly Nick Pert turned up anyway. I believe that all of the players (from both teams) were keen to play the match.
... might have given some hint of a problem!

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:25 pm

I play for Guildford B in Division 1 of the Surrey Border League. Our next fixture would have been against Sandhurst A, so I would probably have faced Nick Pert on board 1. But first they defaulted on their next match against Drunken Knights, then they withdrew from the League. I haven't seen any explanation, official or unofficial. Does anyone know what happened?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 am

James Toon wrote: I haven't seen any explanation, official or unofficial. Does anyone know what happened?
I believe that the SBL League Secretary, H. Trevor Jones has circulated a memo stating that Sandhurst have withdrawn their A and C (but not B) teams to all club secretaries.

I suspect that an official explanation may take a some time to appear.

The real mystery was why withdraw the C team when the club has substantially more players than any other club in the SBL : http://www.borderleague.org.uk/players. ... ction=past

Perhaps we will never know...
Last edited by John Upham on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 am

John Upham wrote:... the club has substantially more players than any other club in the SBL : http://www.borderleague.org.uk/players. ... ction=past
I'm not sure that's true. If you look at the number of people who played for the club its about 30-35 each year (apart from 2007-08 when it was 54). When 79 players have represented the club over the last few years that suggests to me that the club is quite good at recruiting new players, but not so good at keeping them.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 am

Isn't the subscription for Sandhurst ridiculously expensive? Could be a reason.