Grading Prize given to ineligible player

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Grading Prize given to ineligible player

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 am

John Ariss wrote:Chris
Although the situation at the said congress didn't actually occur, the possibility was certainly there, as Rob Thompson inadvertantly pointed out.
Thankfully in the circumstances, had they occured as was first reported, the organiser of this particular event would have seen it as a genuine error, but also credited the 'real' grading prize winner by re-imbursing him with a grading prize as well . The cost being absorbed by the congress, which would no doubt be approved by his commitee as the reputation of the event is worth far more than the monetary value.
However the said 'culprit'would have been in for merciless comments for the foreseeable future :wink: Which I guarantee would far outway the monetary gain :D
That is the best approach, I think.

In twenty-five years as an arbiter, I've awarded a prize wrongly twice. In neither instance was any of the players involved at fault in any way. On both occasions the original recipients were allowed to keep the money, but the same amounts were subsequently given to the players who should have received them.