New chess league for London

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
James Toon

New chess league for London

Post by James Toon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I am trying to organise a new chess league for London, starting this autumn and to be known as the Central London League. It's a competition for teams of 5 players, where all matches are played at venues in central London (within the Underground Zone 1), and all games are finished on the night - no adjournments, no adjudication.

Of course, several chess leagues already operate in and around London. So why another one? Recently I carried out a survey of over 100 leagues in Britain and Ireland. The great majority - about 80% - use quickplay as the mandatory or default method of finishing games. In the London area, however, the picture is different. It can be hard to guarantee a finish on the night unless you're strong enough to play in Division 1 of the London League, or you're able to travel out to Middlesex, Essex or Kent.

Discussions with London chess players suggest that many of them would like to finish their games on the night. But the repeated attempts to introduce a mandatory or default quickplay time control in London's existing leagues have largely failed, given the reluctance of many older players to adopt a time control where they may have to play more quickly than now. I understand this point of view. I have come to believe that only a new chess league can guarantee the finish on the night that many players want.

Other points about the Central London League:
  • • there will be no grading restrictions or eligibility requirements;
    • any existing or new teams are welcome;
    • all games will be submitted for ECF grading;
    • I've obtained the use of a large venue in Pimlico on Thursdays, for teams that don't have their own venue in central London;
    • the exact time control will be agreed with all the member clubs at the start of the season, but is likely to be a Fischer time limit where suitable clocks are available.
More details about the League are on its website at http://clcl.org.uk.

The deadline for entries to the league is 31 July. Fixtures will be published in early September and I will try to avoid fixture clashes with other leagues as far as possible - I don't see the CLL as competing with others, but running alongside and offering something different.

Sean Hewitt

Re: New chess league for London

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm

A great initiative James - good luck!

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi James,

I would like to discuss this further at Guildford Chess Club Championship. I might well be keen to play, certainly if it gave me opportunities to play against titled players, or 180 plus players.

Further details would be good to know, however I think it's a brilliant idea and wonderful to see your enthusiastic to help promote our game in London and in the United Kingdom.

Matt. :) :) :)

PS: I would personally like to help run or moderate the site or do something to help.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:58 pm

James,

Good luck with this venture. I assume that adjudications will not be permitted! :lol:

It might also be worth mentioning the City of London Rapidplay League which may be found at http://www.citychess.blogspot.com/

I hope to announce the URL for its results system very shortly.
Last edited by John Upham on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 pm

James, that's fantastic. I hope it's a great success. If you can't join them, beat them!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:14 pm

James,

What are the proposed time controls?

Regards,
Paul

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:James,

Regards,
Paul
The web site says :
7. The length of the playing session and the time control will be decided before the season starts in consultation with all the clubs who have entered the league.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Assuming the matches were played at the Church Hall in Pimlico, starting 18:30, when does the venue HAVE TO close?

Gives us an idea.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm

You should probably write in your constitution that the league shall not have adjournments. You don't want teams flooding the AGM next year and changing the time control rules. ;)

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:51 pm

John Upham wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:James,

Regards,
Paul
The web site says :
7. The length of the playing session and the time control will be decided before the season starts in consultation with all the clubs who have entered the league.
My preferred option would be a Fischer time limit of 80 10 with G 90 as a fallback. This is used in the Surrey Border League and the Guildford Club Championship, and it seems to work fine. But given the early start, it would be possible instead to use 90 10 and G 100 for a longer session (we have to be out of the venue by 11.00). My sense is that the clubs who have so far entered would generally prefer the first option. But we'll see who else enters and what they want.

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:58 pm

matt_ward wrote:Hi James,

I would like to discuss this further at Guildford Chess Club Championship. I might well be keen to play, certainly if it gave me opportunities to play against titled players, or 180 plus players.

Further details would be good to know, however I think it's a brilliant idea and wonderful to see your enthusiastic to help promote our game in London and in the United Kingdom.

PS: I would personally like to help run or moderate the site or do something to help.
It's early days and so far only three teams have entered. I estimate the strength of their players as ranging from 160 to 200. I don't think any of them are titled players.

Some individuals have told me that they're keen to play but might not be able to raise a team from their own clubs. It might be possible to form a new team from scratch. I could put players in touch with each other. But one of them would need to act as captain – that might not be easy.

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:You should probably write in your constitution that the league shall not have adjournments. You don't want teams flooding the AGM next year and changing the time control rules. ;)
That's probably worth doing, even though it's unlikely to happen in practice. In order to vote at the AGM, individuals must have played at least one game in the CLL in the past season. And the only people who will want to play in this league are those who want to finish the game on the night.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks James.

I'm not a great fan of increments, but, hey, let's give it a go.

Have you any idea what you should do, should you get that nightmare 150 move game which is still going at midnight? In the Thames Valley League, the rule is that you must adjudicate the game should you use increments and the game is still not finished come chucking out time. There are, I am sure, plenty of other possibilities.

Also, will there be an arbiter present or not?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 pm

James Toon wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:You should probably write in your constitution that the league shall not have adjournments. You don't want teams flooding the AGM next year and changing the time control rules. ;)
That's probably worth doing, even though it's unlikely to happen in practice. In order to vote at the AGM, individuals must have played at least one game in the CLL in the past season. And the only people who will want to play in this league are those who want to finish the game on the night.
The Birmingham League lets each secretary - in fact, just someone from their club will do - have 1 vote per team you enter in the League. I like that structure, because it's not susceptible to AGM flooding, whereby a team has an agenda and busses in 10 players to get their own way. I fear your voting structure may leave you vulnerable to that.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:25 pm

James Toon wrote:
matt_ward wrote:Hi James,

It's early days and so far only three teams have entered. I estimate the strength of their players as ranging from 160 to 200. I don't think any of them are titled players.

Some individuals have told me that they're keen to play but might not be able to raise a team from their own clubs. It might be possible to form a new team from scratch. I could put players in touch with each other. But one of them would need to act as captain – that might not be easy.

Well James let me know as I'm happy to0 help.