Chess families

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Chess families

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:24 pm

... and another motor racing one. Antonio and his son, Alberto Ascari. Alberto was World Champion in 1952 and 1953. Antonio couldn't be World Champion; the title only existed starting from 1950, but he was a good driver. Antonio was killed aged 36 at the 1925 French Grand Prix at Reims. Alberto had to be rescued from the harbour when he crashed at the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix, and was killed four days later testing a sportscar at Monza. He too, was 36. The corner at Monza where he was killed is now called Ascari, although in those days it was a fast left-hander, and it's now a fast left-right-left chicane.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:40 pm

I shouldn't have mentioned other sports, should I? (You missed out the Broads in cricket). Anyone know of families in other mind games? Shogi, Go, Chinese chess, er, does poker count? Backgammon? Draughts?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I shouldn't have mentioned other sports, should I? (You missed out the Broads in cricket). Anyone know of families in other mind games? Shogi, Go, Chinese chess, er, does poker count? Backgammon? Draughts?
Sorry about that. I know an awful lot of trivia about sporting history for some sports, for no apparent reason. :(

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I shouldn't have mentioned other sports, should I? (You missed out the Broads in cricket). Anyone know of families in other mind games? Shogi, Go, Chinese chess, er, does poker count? Backgammon? Draughts?
Sorry about that. I know an awful lot of trivia about sporting history for some sports, for no apparent reason. :(
Just the wrong sports... (golf and tennis, I'd be interested in, and I'm sure others here love motor racing) :-)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 am

Speedway was mentioned bringing back some glorious memories.
There are loads of father, sons and brothers connections, far too many to mention.

There were actually 5 Collins brothers who were speedway riders.
Peter, Les, Phil, Neil and Stephen. (I think I have it in the correct age order).

Les Collins finished 2nd in the 1982 World Champioship.
He rode for the Glasgow Tigers with his son Aiden in the same
team as Sean Courtney also riding with his son Scott.

In the 70's the Templton brothers rode with the McMillian brothers,
again for the Tigers. The McMillians were the Nephews of the Templetons.

Carl, Mark and Paul Blackbird all rode together at Long Eaton.

NeilJerzynek

Post by NeilJerzynek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 am

the spelling may be different but to anybody in the northwest when I read this thread this song came into my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSseI1hao8

lol

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:07 am

poker you have the brunsons both Father and Son are poker pros i am pretty sure Doyles daughter is also a profesional poker player.
There is also brother and sister Annie Duke sigh can not remember her brothers name he is 1 of the fulltilt founders.
More motor racing the father and son Andretties i know i have spelt that wrong lol
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 am

Don't mention Full-tilt....

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 am

Opps i forgot they have still not paid players out yet unlike pokerstars whom have paid everbody out that requested it.
Howard lederer is Annie Dukes brother

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 am

If you really want to widen it to other sports....

Cricket - Alex is too young to remember Sir Leonard Hutton, his son Richard (both played for England) and grandson Ben Hutton played county cricket. David and Johnny Bairstow are quite recent, although the latter hasn't played international cricket yet (but give it a couple of years).

The Chappell's grandfather was Vic Richardson who also captained Australia.

How about Gary and Phil Neville, who played Association Football for England and their sister Tracey played Netball for England.

Ian Botham's son Liam played an under 21 rugby international.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

Baruch H Wood and his children, all played chess. His daughter Margaret, married the International Master, P.H. Clarke.

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 am

After the Polgars, the Mamedyarovs are probably the next strongest family with 3 or more siblings, having a GM and 2 WGMs, with peak ratings of 2772, 2384 and 2322.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 am

I am suprised that nobody has even mentioned the two brothers who actually helped win a World Championship for England ... Bobby and Jackie Charlton. Of course, it was so long ago that many people of the current generation might think it was just a myth.

As well as the above, George Cohen was also a member of the 1966 World Cup winning football team whilst his nephew, Ben, was in the England team which won the rugby union World Cup in 2003.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am

Arnt there two womens grand masters that are sisters also

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 am

William Metcalfe wrote:Arnt there two womens grand masters that are sisters also
Anita & Ticia Gara are both IMs.