Master Game on YouTube.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Camp

The Master Game

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Link to reconstructed video of the 1981 final between Miles and Short can be accessed from:

http://andrewrcamp.blogspot.com/

Great memories.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Joey Stewart

Re: The Master Game

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:56 pm

That was very entertaining to hear their thoughts on the game - were the voices of miles and short played by actors or was it the real deal?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:That was very entertaining to hear their thoughts on the game - were the voices of miles and short played by actors or was it the real deal?
No actors were involved. It was basically a post mortem dramatised as if it were a live game.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

It is interesting to see that, even in that relatively unexciting grind, both masters were really trying hard to make some play and avoid letting the game peter out to a draw.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:42 pm

As a child, I used to wonder how on Earth we could hear what they were thinking.

I was only 16. :) :)
[email protected]

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Bill Hartston quote. Unknown man asks him, How was it possible to hear the players' thoughts on Master Game, although their lips are not moving?' Bill's response, 'Oh, we had a wire from their brain to the recorder.' 'I didn't know that was possible,' was the man's response as he moved away, apparently satisfied.
I have several episodes from 1980 and virtually all of 1981 and 1982. The only one from 1983 I have is Miles' win against Karpov, published by Ray Keene by the company Impala. He dubbed it from German into English at my suggestion. I have none of the earlier programmes.
Is not Andrew breaking BBC copyright? They have refused to be bothered with reissuing the programmes. John Macdonald told me he had the whole lot on betamax somewhere in his garage. People often ask me for whatever I have.
If anybody found a source that would be tremendous.
The other great loss is the radio game where Barden partnershipped Fischer against Penrose and Clarke. A transcript can be found in 'The Golden Treasury of the Air', but the original programme is, I fear, lost.
Stewart Reuben

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 pm

It was good to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomqcaRFCeI once again! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Bill Hartston quote. Unknown man asks him, How was it possible to hear the players' thoughts on Master Game, although their lips are not moving?' Bill's response, 'Oh, we had a wire from their brain to the recorder.' 'I didn't know that was possible,' was the man's response as he moved away, apparently satisfied.
I have several episodes from 1980 and virtually all of 1981 and 1982. The only one from 1983 I have is Miles' win against Karpov, published by Ray Keene by the company Impala. He dubbed it from German into English at my suggestion. I have none of the earlier programmes.
Is not Andrew breaking BBC copyright? They have refused to be bothered with reissuing the programmes. John Macdonald told me he had the whole lot on betamax somewhere in his garage. People often ask me for whatever I have.
If anybody found a source that would be tremendous.
The other great loss is the radio game where Barden partnershipped Fischer against Penrose and Clarke. A transcript can be found in 'The Golden Treasury of the Air', but the original programme is, I fear, lost.
Stewart Reuben
Breaking copyright?

If I find I am, I will take them down. I have merely linked my blog to the videos which are on Youtube.

In the comments on Youtube, someone mentioned that the BBC no longer owned the copyright on these.

Incidently, feel free to address me directly.
[email protected]

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Andrew Camp >In the comments on Youtube, someone mentioned that the BBC no longer owned the copyright on these.<

If that is true and it can be established, then I am sure Impala would be delighted to reissue whatever can be found. I have 31 (roughly) episodes.

Stewart Reuben

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:07 pm

How can the BBC dare to retain copyright - we fund their entire organisation and they would think to withhold such classics.
If anything, what we need is a mode modern take on the matches with a few humorous commentators to keep it light hearted - like in that film be kind rewind where they make their own versions of famous films.
The question is, who would be the suitable players to make such a video?

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: The question is, who would be the suitable players to make such a video?
I think the answer obviously is...

Joey Stewart

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:How can the BBC dare to retain copyright - we fund their entire organisation and they would think to withhold such classics.
If anything, what we need is a mode modern take on the matches with a few humorous commentators to keep it light hearted - like in that film be kind rewind where they make their own versions of famous films.
The question is, who would be the suitable players to make such a video?
Careful, they might take you up on this and have Pro-Celebrity chess presented by Gary Lineker and with Graham Norton doing commentary - cue lots of screaming and queen and cock gags.
[email protected]

Malcolm Peacock

Post by Malcolm Peacock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 pm

I think the books on the series are good as well. You get the thoughts of both players with the game annotations. I picked them up from a 2nd hand shop a couple of years ago.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Hollywood had the same problem about copyright. When the old movies were made there was no such thing as video and therefore nothing in the contracts about the actors' rights. This was all settled for a global sum for all the studios and the unions. Chess is too small for the BBC to bother with. Thus it is substantially inertia. If Andrew is right that may be in the past.
Ishi Press recently reprinted 'London 1980' by Bill Hartson and me. Sam Sloan said that it would be best to add in a new introduction to reassert copyright in US Law. So I wrote one. Do all clamour to get copies.

I am interested in somethig technical. Digital chessboards did not exist in this country until 1986 when David Levy and Kevin O'Connell when they started Intelli9gent Chess Software. Do you know how the Master Game system worked?
Stewart Reuben

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 am

Stewart,

Would you allow your archive to be transferred to a digital archive? Even if the BFI wouldn't do it I am sure there would be volunteers.

It would be good to preserve them before the tapes / film become unplayable.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D