Chess and Alzheimer's

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Chess and Alzheimer's

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Richard James wrote: And how would your club cope with an influx of 75-year-old beginners?
There'd probably raise the playing level.

Anyhoo, *we* of course mean club chess when we talk about playing chess. I suspect for most of population, however, 'playing chess' is something quite different.

No response to my email as yet, btw (not particularly to my surprise).

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Richard James wrote: And how would your club cope with an influx of 75-year-old beginners?
They'd probably raise the playing level
...and lower the average age

Anyhow, gardening likely offers greater protection. If you can remember the names of all your shrubs, when they need pruning, whether cuttings are from hard wood or soft, and so forth, then you're probably better-equipped than someone who can rattle off 20 moves in the mainline Naj. You'll get more fresh air too.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Richard James wrote: One of the problems with junior chess is that parents have read somewhere that 'chess is good for you' and sign their kids up for the school chess club because they perceive they will receive some extrinsic benefit while having no interest at all in their becoming serious players.
I totally agree with this. School chess clubs can be perceived by parents as a means of helping children with behavioral issues. They hope that chess will calm their child down even though that child does not have any interest in chess. I try my best to engage and integrate them into the club fully but it can be challenging to avoid disruption to the whole group. I continue to try but I suspect it is a lost cause. :(
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

ECF Strategy:

5. Amateur chess:
f. Chess recognised as a health benefit for older people

I don't know which ECF director is responsible for the amateur chess goals, but imagine they have leapt into dynamic action if there is scientific evidence available.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:56 pm

John Upham wrote:
Richard James wrote: One of the problems with junior chess is that parents have read somewhere that 'chess is good for you' and sign their kids up for the school chess club because they perceive they will receive some extrinsic benefit while having no interest at all in their becoming serious players.
I totally agree with this. School chess clubs can be perceived by parents as a means of helping children with behavioral issues. They hope that chess will calm their child down even though that child does not have any interest in chess. I try my best to engage and integrate them into the club fully but it can be challenging to avoid disruption to the whole group. I continue to try but I suspect it is a lost cause. :(
I suspect you're right that it's a lost cause. Perhaps also parents read that chess makes you better at maths so if their children are no good at maths they sign them up for chess.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I can cite numerous examples of youngsters who did find chess a calming influence. The brother of one such player appreciated the reduction in beatings he took from his older sibling (there were apparently still some when he had a poor tournament).

The innumerable cases I can mention where there was no difference do back up your opinions however.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Do we know of any well-known players who developed Alzheimer's?? I admit I'm struggling.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

The usual sources quoted by the charity commission for a link between mental games and delaying Alzheimers are:-

Diamond Study (Dr Marion Diamond), The Franklin Institute, Case Western Reserve University Medical School, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota, Dr Geda from the Mayo Clinic Study of Aging (MCSA), University of California and Seattle Longitudinal Study.

Perhaps the journalist read these or reports by the charity commission.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Do we know of any well-known players who developed Alzheimer's?? I admit I'm struggling.......
I once saw a very well known player at a county match when he was in his 80s (this was ~1990). He was graded about 185 at the time and drew his game fairly quickly (I was playing on the board below his and lost horribly). He went to leave the room but accidentally opened the door to a cupboard instead. He entered the cupboard and came out again a few seconds later looking completely flustered and confused. Someone nearby took his arm and gently led him out of the room. I remember thinking at the time that this guy was in his 80s, obviously starting to lose his marbles a bit but could still play chess better than me.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Thinking about this, I vaguely remember hearing about Harry Golombek getting it (he certainly pretty much vanished for the final few years of his life)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)