Central London League: a progress report

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
James Toon

Central London League: a progress report

Post by James Toon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm

In a previous thread I set out my intention to start a new chess league in central London where all the games would finish on the night. I'm pleased to say that enough teams have entered to make the League viable and it will be starting this autumn. There will be one division, with seven clubs fielding eight teams. These are:
• Battersea
• European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
• Honorary Members Club (HMC)
• Imperial College
• Metropolitan Police
• Pimlico Guardians
• Pimlico Wanderers
• Railsport Chess.

The deadline for team entries is past, but individuals who want to play in the League and don't have a team are welcome to PM me. We have some already and they will be playing for Pimlico Wanderers.

Some matters have been left for discussion among the clubs, such as whether they play each other once or twice, what time matches start, and what the time control should be. This has prompted a lively debate. I'm sure that we will resolve all the issues in the end, but there may have to be some compromises. It's more difficult than operating by central diktat, but I do want decision-making to be as democratic as possible. This process should take a couple of weeks and then I will post the outcome.

John Cox

Re: Central London League: a progress report

Post by John Cox » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:58 am

Rock ON! HIgh time someone did this and shocked the London League into, say, about 1990 or so on the question of adjournments.

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Some decisions:
•   The League will use a Fischer time control (80 10) with a standard quickplay finish as backup (30/75 + All/15).
•   The standard starting time is 6.30pm, although matches involving Imperial College will start at 6.45pm.
• Teams will play each other once only in the first season, making for a manageable seven matches each in total.

The fixtures for 2011/12 have been produced and are available on the League website - http://clcl.org.uk.

This promises to be an exciting first season as we bring together clubs from a number of different leagues. We want to show that a league where all matches finish on the night is as viable in London as it seems to be everywhere else.

We could still do with more individual players, preferably graded 150+. If you want to play more chess in central London, in an environment free of adjudications and adjournments, this is the league to join. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 pm

James,
Could you please provide a note for the ECF website. It can be sent to me at [email protected]. We are always interested in new initiatives.
I am very pleased you are using a sensible cumulative time control, although delay mode might have suited the event even better.
I am amused by the HMC. I qualify in three ways.
Stewart Reuben

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:44 pm

I should have mentioned that Pimlico Wanderers is the team I have set up for individuals who want to play in the League but don't have a team of their own. Their fixtures, which are mostly on Thursdays, are on the League website at http://clcl.org.uk/fixtures.html (look under Pimlico). I will be the team manager and non-playing captain.