CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Richard Bates

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am

matt_ward wrote:What I find interesting is would CJ have wore that T-shirt on the Eggheads I assume there is a dress- code there which means he is not allowed.

At the end of the day there is NO dress- code in chess and therefore anyone should be allowed to wear anything they want unless it is classified offensive.

Matt. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
It is perhaps ironic though, that for many the introduction of a dress code is a desirable step which could help improve the image of chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: CJ was wrong to pass comment as "she" but should have just said "the arbiters" as clearly there was some general discussion
There were about 10 arbiters present and active as arbiters during the Congress. Two of these are officials of the ECF as joint Managers of the Congress. One of the other arbiters is also an ECF director. Whilst most of the rest of ECF board had been present during the Congress as players or spectators, only two (+CJ himself) had actually been present before the prize-giving. Under normal circumstances, you would expect the Managers to take decisions on day to day matters, particularly since they report to the Director of Home Chess who was not in fact present.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:00 am

Closing in on more posts then the British Championships 2011 thread...

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:04 am

I think I have good credentials for new ECF Presidency;

1. I care about Chess.
2. I'l shake up any parasites in there.
3. Activate a Junior Bandana Chess Promotion
4. Set up an ECF Chess Shop
5. Push my Sniper Book
6. Push my new FOXY Opening Video on The WHite Sniper
7. Install 1 professional in every County.
8. Integrate IT Chess Servers in to the ECF
9. Wear a suit at prestigious occasions.
10. Set up a Chess legal Gambling facility integrated with SKY and a Sky Chess TV Program.

Vote F.M. Charlie Storey for new ECF President.

http://www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:05 am

benedgell wrote:Closing in on more posts then the British Championships 2011 thread...
:lol: although not really. The real thread is the games thread, and that is vastly more popular.

I'm in favour of anyone posting to a thread having to take a small test to prove they have read the precending posts, to prevent it going in infinite circles :)

Drat, I have increased the number by one, again

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 am

The other interesting point Roger,

CJ was wearing wearing that T- shirt a few days before one in the commentary room and NO one said anything and their were juniors present there. So I think if they were going to take action it should of been immediate otherwise they have not shown much efficiency and by then most people had seen his t- shirt.

Also Richard regarding your point on "dress- code", not so sure that it would improve the chess image if they started implementing all these rules I think alot of people would be drawn away from the game. It would also stop alot of the different characters that you get in chess which is apparent by what different people wear; I think it could have a much less positive effect on the game than you think. :) :)

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:08 am

CJ only wore the t-shirt on the Friday and Saturday. Let's keep to facts.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am

Charlie Storey wrote:It is inappropriate to wear this at a British Chess Championship when there in a professional or representative capacity - Advertising any form of sexuality to impressionable under16's is wholly inappropriate and to do that from a position of trust and power is morally incorrect - he was right to offer his resignation and Lara (whom I have had a fair few differences with) was absolutely right to make CJ remove it before presenting prizes. It sounds like he has gone on a spoilt child in not conforming to the request. Accept the resignation and install me as ECF President - Someone that really cares about chess and has no other agenda other to push The Sniper!
When you see posts like that you have to wonder whether it was intended as a spoof or not, no one could really have written that in earnest, you think. Sadly you realise that every word is intended, making it clear how necessary CJ's action actually was. Happily I cannot see this platform as one which succeeds in installing an ECF President.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am

Here is my side of the incident (I am posting against the advice of some, but I am getting hate emails claiming that I am homophobic and need to clear this up).

I spoke to David and Alex before the prize-giving suggesting that the T-shirt in question may not be advisable seeing as children were going to be in photographs with it and the charity in question was promoting a sexuality-based issue. (I personally raised over £200 for the same charity on the Sunday night quiz to 'buy' CJ's membership of John Edwards' team!) I was just worried that children who had come for chess may be exploited in photo opportunities for a different issue/charity.

They were reluctant to speak to CJ about it and I said that I would. I told CJ that we usually dressed up more formally for the prize-giving and that it was only my opinion that his t-shirt may be controversial. He said "well I won't present the prizes then". When I told David Welch this he said that I had made a mistake in his opinion. I then left it to the 'officials' to make any decision. I believe that they still wanted CJ to present the prizes to The British Championship for which he had made a large financial contribution and huge publicity effort. He declined, saying 'all or nothing'.

May I add that, and many of my friends know already, it would be highly hypocritical of me to 'oppose' any gay-equality charity as I have had gay relationships in the past. Any thought of 'anti-gay' anything was never in my mind when I suggested the t-shirt was inappropriate for a national chess championships prize-giving, it was just inappropriate. I have many Wytchwood Brewery T-shirts promoting real ale, but I would not wear them to The British Championships prize-giving. My only fault may have been being naive to the controversy that this brought up.

RE: The Sunday Times article:
• CJ’s claim that he was ‘banned’ from wearing the t-shirt is just untrue.
• There is a dress code for the event, on page 7 of the programme “smart casual”
• He was never asked to ‘take it off’. I only queried whether it was appropriate, had he said ‘yes, I believe it is’ then I would not have had anything further to say at the time and he would have gone ahead with the prize-giving. He is the president of the organisation for which I do voluntary work and I would have bowed to his authority.

John Hipshon

Post by John Hipshon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:18 am

He wore the T shirt on Friday when I was there. I was more concerned by the fact that, for the second time this week my daughter's game was the last to finish in the morning and there wasn't an arbiter in sight as they went into the time scramble - obviously far to busy to do what arbiters are supposed to do. Then her opponent refused to shake hands at the end of the game - something for which he should be severely cesured for. A complete lack of common sense all round as usual with the T shirt fiasco, both from CJ and from the ECF.

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 am

I would have to absolutely agree with Lara on this one - The 'President' has acted like a child and should be replaced for turning this in to a non related media chess issue. Any person who sees differently in my view should have their motives challenged.

Lara acted correctly and subtly on her approach - The spoiled child should be sent to the naughty step, removed from his post and a new president appointed - immediately.

I am happy to step in and sort all of the problems out at the ECF and turn it in to a successful business model - rather than its current position of borderline bankruptcy.

The time is right for The Sniper Chief to take charge of the English Chess Federation and put chess back where it belongs - In every school in the U.K. on TV and on Sky.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 am

Good and brave of Lara to post this publicly. Honestly I do believe she was naive, and that was an error of judgement. but not such a serious one she need apologise for it.

When I read it on Facebook, I felt it identified David Welch as the person who was in charge. I think it would be appropriate for him to apologise to CJ.

I did not feel it was appropriate to say this directly until Lara put her comments in the public domain.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:24 am

Charlie Storey wrote:The time is right for The Sniper Chief to take charge of the English Chess Federation and put chess back where it belongs - In every school in the U.K. on TV and on Sky.
Never heard of you before those adverts about Sniper Chess. I do hope this isn't a serious campaign.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:25 am

Lara Barnes I think people do certainly understand why you did what you did, and it was purely for the interest of the Congress I appreciate that; Your right about CJ's financial contribution to the British Chess CHampionships and his effort's to make the event public.

Regarding your comment on "Dress- Code", I will not mention names as I do not think that is appropriate but I remember loads of people spectating and playing in which I would not of deemed them applying the rule " smart casual", but they were not inappropriately.

Having the rule smart casual is abit vague also I suppose people have a different interpretation of smart casual, I mean for argument sake alot of people were wearing trainers which I would not classify smart casual and so on.

I must admit I was not even aware there was a dress code policy for the British perhaps it should be made more public for future reference so nothing like this or no controversy happens again. I mean this incident has really given people the wrong impression about chess. I for one am hoping to try and come on the scene to help promote chess.

But Lara I am sure NO one doubts your decision and I am sure you were justified to make your opinion clear your comments surely clear the air, and as I said before I am sure people will soon forget about it and remember all the glorious bits of The British Chess Championships.

Matt.
Last edited by matt_ward on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:26 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:Good and brave of Lara to post this publicly.
Agreed. Thanks to Lara for posting this. Let's just hope that now both 'sides' have posted something in public, and have been quoted in the papers, and have had the chance to correct (here at least) what was reported in those papers, that this is an end to the matter (though the ECF Board will doubtless need to discuss some aspects of all this). I'm off to get a copy of the Sunday Times, unless they've all sold out!