Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Neil Graham wrote:As regards anyone standing for President or indeed any other of the Directorships, I am sure the ECF would welcome nominations. How often do we read criticism of the Federation and its officers of these forums - yet find someone who is willing to take on the onerous tasks that being a Director entails? I forecast, as usual with confidence, that there will be no elections this year - all candidates to be returned unopposed.
I'm not convinced there need to be contested elections. The incumbents are doing a good job.

However, there will be two vacancies: For Marketing and Junior Chess & Education. Candidates for those posts are welcomed with open arms.

Neil Graham
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:As regards anyone standing for President or indeed any other of the Directorships, I am sure the ECF would welcome nominations. How often do we read criticism of the Federation and its officers of these forums - yet find someone who is willing to take on the onerous tasks that being a Director entails? I forecast, as usual with confidence, that there will be no elections this year - all candidates to be returned unopposed.
I'm not convinced there need to be contested elections. The incumbents are doing a good job.

However, there will be two vacancies: For Marketing and Junior Chess & Education. Candidates for those posts are welcomed with open arms.
A bit of democracy is good - many chess players think that the ECF is run by an unelected clique.

User avatar
Charlie Storey
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Alex

Yes I informed Graham Marshall and David Walshaw to inform the Arbiters as soon as I returned from my late match on the Wednesday night - Both reliable and excellent organisers from North East England. I was informed they had your contact details which I am quite sure they will confirm.

My reason for withdrawal was simply I was missing my Partner and no amount of Prize money was going to keep us apart!

Excuse me for giving someone a chance to win it.

So perhaps some apologies should be sent in the direction of the person you have tried to vilify!

As for the heat that I took off Lara today a simple Thank You will suffice.

Thomas Rendle what a geek - he makes me cringe with his comments.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 am

Charlie form a break-away ECF. call it the...Break Away ECF.
(My imagination knows no boundaries.)

You can be President forever!

I'll support you and so will many others, I'm good at forging signatures.

Power to the people. (Can I be treasurer, just for the first year.)

Steve Barrett
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Steve Barrett » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 am

So, to clarify, you are confirming that you didn't personally inform the arbiters you were withdrawing? You left it to a couple of other people and took no personal responsibility for your actions? And, clearly, the message didn't get through?

Mitchell Burke
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Mitchell Burke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:41 am

Charlie

As a junior (only for a few more weeks) I would like you to expand on the statement about junior squad selection and make it clearer on what you mean by "more transparent".

In my mind the system for getting onto the squad seems reasonable as it stands ( u11's needing 2 norms and then a trial and then u18's just needing 2 norms). As a result a variety of juniors make the squad whilst proving through these norm seeking competitions they are good enough to make the squad. Are you therefore wanting to change this system?

P.s. This is my first post so I'm struggling with using quotes on here and I hope I don't get many complains!

Mitchell

Peter Turner
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Peter Turner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 am

Mitchell Burke wrote:Charlie

As a junior (only for a few more weeks) I would like you to expand on the statement about junior squad selection and make it clearer on what you mean by "more transparent".

In my mind the system for getting onto the squad seems reasonable as it stands ( u11's needing 2 norms and then a trial and then u18's just needing 2 norms). As a result a variety of juniors make the squad whilst proving through these norm seeking competitions they are good enough to make the squad. Are you therefore wanting to change this system?

P.s. This is my first post so I'm struggling with using quotes on here and I hope I don't get many complains!

Mitchell
Don't worry Mitchell, when Charlie becomes ECF President he will not have anything to do with the Junior Squad and their policies. The Squad is an independent organisation and has very little to do with the ECF.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 am

Peter Turner wrote:
Mitchell Burke wrote:Charlie

As a junior (only for a few more weeks) I would like you to expand on the statement about junior squad selection and make it clearer on what you mean by "more transparent".

In my mind the system for getting onto the squad seems reasonable as it stands ( u11's needing 2 norms and then a trial and then u18's just needing 2 norms). As a result a variety of juniors make the squad whilst proving through these norm seeking competitions they are good enough to make the squad. Are you therefore wanting to change this system?

P.s. This is my first post so I'm struggling with using quotes on here and I hope I don't get many complains!

Mitchell
Don't worry Mitchell, when Charlie becomes ECF President he will not have anything to do with the Junior Squad and their policies. The Squad is an independent organisation and has very little to do with the ECF.
I think Charlie was confusing the "National Chess Junior Squad", and the ECF-sanctioned junior squads for international tournaments. Most people don't realise there's a distinction. I think Charlie was referring to the latter, but said the former.

The irony of his post is that the current system is often criticised for being too transparent by being based on junior-only events, rather than taking other things into account. Charlie apparently supports juniors only ever playing other juniors, and making something already as transparent as it can be, more transparent.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9085
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 am

Charlie Storey wrote:Yes I informed Graham Marshall and David Walshaw to inform the Arbiters as soon as I returned from my late match on the Wednesday night - Both reliable and excellent organisers from North East England. I was informed they had your contact details which I am quite sure they will confirm.
If you're withdrawing from a tournament, you have to take personal responsibility to withdraw from it yourself.

If David Walshaw and Graham Marshall are organisers from North East England, chances are they'd have Lara's contact details in one form or another, if not Alex's. (After all, Lara is an organiser from North East England, and there can't be that many up there that they don't know each other.) So you could quite easily have asked them for that, and given Lara or Alex the message permanently.

Failing that, the website has a number for the congress office. You could have called this number, and the people there would have passed this message on to Lara and Alex.

In my opinion, your procedure for withdrawing from the tournament was totally unacceptable.

User avatar
Charlie Storey
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Alex Holowczak

Your opinion is quite irrelevant to me now that you laced all of your comments with complete negativity toward my good person. I see you as a negative and destructive individual with a clear agenda against my efforts probably born from my chastising you for other negative posts you have put on here in the past.

Could I suggest you leave the thread along with Rendle and stay away from my posts in the interests of civility.

If you think it is justifiable to vilify me for withdrawing from a tournament and asking 2 prominent North East Organisers to inform the arbiters, whilst I am packing, you are as stupid as I thought you were from you negative and aggressive comments.

Whatever your frustrations in life please deal with them in a more effective manner rather than attacking a Presidential Candidate and Chess Master.

If envy is your problem,as it is with Thomas Rendle, please just work a bit harder, rather than manifesting it in childish verbal assaults - I mean for Pete's sake you both grown men not immature teenagers.

I have tried not to be too offensive buy your comments make it difficult - I find it hard tolerating fools and foolish behaviour so please grow up.

You have had your say now I have had mine so please go and crawl back under your respective rocks.

Best Wishes Charlie.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4256
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 am

Alex Holowczak is a member of the ECF Council, with a vote in the October elections. Making personal attacks on members of the electorate is an unusual campaign strategy.

User avatar
Charlie Storey
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

Thank You for your insight David - I know I can always count on your support. You are someone I value and respect and I will take your critique quite seriously, as I remember you did a sterling job when I required your help when organising the HolyCity Chess Internationals back in 1996-1998. The events where I pioneered live internet relay of chess International games.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

User avatar
Charlie Storey
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Charlie Storey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

David Sedgwick wrote:Alex Holowczak is a member of the ECF Council, with a vote in the October elections. Making personal attacks on members of the electorate is an unusual campaign strategy.

I think we should be clear on this David - My response was a counter attack which has more ethical and moral weight.

Morality and ethics transcend any ECF Policy, in fact, I take great delight in adjusting any person that is abusive who is in a position of 'power' and I am very good at it.

People in Power are there for the people and not to abuse their position in any way shape or form - all workers within the ECF will do well to remember that no matter how safe and ingrained they may think they are in their role - Do you agree David?

www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Nevil Chan
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Nevil Chan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

David Sedgwick wrote:Making personal attacks on members of the electorate is an unusual campaign strategy.
Despite delivering a crisp manifesto, I fear that Charlie may have blown his Presidential chances, less than 24 hours into the campaign. Perhaps the ECF should consider introducing a new position on the Board to utilise his undoubted talents - Director of Entertainment.
"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4256
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Charlie Storey wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Alex Holowczak is a member of the ECF Council, with a vote in the October elections. Making personal attacks on members of the electorate is an unusual campaign strategy.
I think we should be clear on this David - My response was a counter attack which has more ethical and moral weight.

Morality and ethics transcend any ECF Policy, in fact, I take great delight in adjusting any person that is abusive who is in a position of 'power' and I am very good at it.

People in Power are there for the people and not to abuse their position in any way shape or form - all workers within the ECF will do well to remember that no matter how safe and ingrained they may think they are in their role - Do you agree David?

http://www.CharlieChess.com
I'm only commenting again because you specifically asked me to do so.

I think your response to Alex H was:

a) not justified by the content of Alex's post;
b) unlikely to persuade members of the ECF Council to elect you as President.

I'll leave it there.

Locked