Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Spivack

Re: Charlie Storey for new ECF President

Post by Simon Spivack » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Charlie Storey wrote:Whats your ECF rating or Fide rating?
This reminds me of GM Solipsism's behaviour at a league match many winters ago. A team mate of Solipsism's was in a time scramble in which all sorts of horrors were perpetrated. After the game was over Solipsism berated his colleague for his poor play. We, the opposing players, looked on bemused; eventually a friend of mine pointed out that amateur players blunder and are prone to all kinds of mistakes, it's a law of nature. Solipsism turned round and dismissively replied: "Vot is your grade?"

More than a year later I was involved in the hunt to find accommodation for Solipsism. There was one phone call I felt I had to make. I am paraphrasing slightly, however, it went roughly as follow: "Hello, .... .........". I responded, "Vot is your grade?" "Hello, Simon". "We are looking for someone who can accommodate Solipsism for up to a fortnight, I naturally thought of you." We both burst out laughing. I then offered money. He agreed it would be a great idea, unfortunately he already had somebody staying. One of life's missed opportunities.

James Friar

Post by James Friar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Charlie Storey wrote:I think you should be a strong player if your gonna be Chess President or be a Major celebrity - -Do you disagree?
Don't you see it makes no difference how good you are at chess to be the president (so long as you have a fairly good inclination) because your job as president isn't to play chess but to be a 'figurehead' aiming to raise sponsership etc.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:01 pm

JamesFriar wrote:
Charlie Storey wrote:I think you should be a strong player if your gonna be Chess President or be a Major celebrity - -Do you disagree?
Don't you see it makes no difference how good you are at chess to be the president (so long as you have a fairly good inclination) because your job as president isn't to play chess but to be a 'figurehead' aiming to raise sponsership etc.
If a horse can be pope... (actually that is a myth).

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Charlie,

In all the years I have been playing chess, I always thought is was prudent to inform the arbiters personally if you are going to withdraw from the tournament

In tournaments you have personally run yourself, I would expect you would expect the same courtesy, am I correct

It does seem to happened that your message didnt arrive at the arbiters in time, so in hindsight it may have been wiser for yourself to get in touch with the office to inform personally to avoid of this confusion and inconveinence
Last edited by Alan Walton on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Charlie Storey wrote:
Could I suggest you leave the thread along with Rendle and stay away from my posts in the interests of civility.

If envy is your problem,as it is with Thomas Rendle, please just work a bit harder, rather than manifesting it in childish verbal assaults.
Firstly I am not quite sure where you get the idea that I am envious of you, but we can gloss over that. I do not think that my earlier post was in any way offensive or childish, I simply stated that I didn't believe you to be a serious candidate (which is my opinion, to which I am certainly entitled). In fact it was you who resorted to childish name calling, although I don't see too much reason to be insulted by being called a 'geek'. I will as you ask withdraw from the thread although I think it would be far better if the thread was now locked as the issue is now irrelevant as thankfully the ECF have declined CJ's offer of resignation. Also you have made personal attacks on anyone who disagrees with your position and I can't see the point of that in any debate.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Thread locked.