Time to get Chess back on TV?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

Do you like the idea?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 54

matt_ward

Re: Time to get Chess back on TV?

Post by matt_ward » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Roger that is a interesting statistic you have pulled out.

Don't know therefore were I got that from.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:How about topless chess on live tv?
Yeah, that could work. I'd happily play chess without my shirt on. :lol: Particularly if we have the weather conditions we had in Sheffield.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 pm

the next one is in Whitely Bay and the facilities have air con. is this to keep the place warm?

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Ariss

Post by John Ariss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm

As for a presenter, from what I have seen of Andrew Martin - would we need to look any further ?
An expert who would satisfy those of us who play the game and a persona to keep those who tune in out of 'curiosity' interested.
Last edited by John Ariss on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Goddard

Post by Chris Goddard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 am

I would agree that Andrew Martin would make an excellent expert/presenter.

I have just been watching an interesting interview with Victoria Cohen, the celebrity poker player, during which she was asked "How did poker become so popular on the TV". Apparently the first program on poker was broadcast on Channel 4 in 1997. According to Victoria, Channel 4 were approached by a Cardiff production company called "Presentable Productions" and the channel agreed to put the program out very late at night, even though they were not very optimistic at all about the viewing figures they might attract.

It got broadcast at 1 a.m. and within weeks it was attracting over 1 million viewers. According to Victoria "Channel 4 never expected it to be a success, half of the audience didn't even know the rules, they were just captivated by close up shots of the players under pressure playing for high stakes".

She went on to say she believed poker's explosion was due to a combination of the airtime it got on TV and the fact it's audiences could go on line and play. Is there the potential for chess to crossover into the mainstream in a similar way?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 am

Chris Goddard wrote:Victoria Cohen, the celebrity poker player
This is like describing Gary Lineker as a celebrity crisp salesman. :wink:

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am

With the poker model in mind, perhaps a form of the street chess you see in some countries might make a popular TV program. Give two players a sum of money and let them play under street blitz rules. It's been a while since I played chess for money, but my memory of the rules are:

1) You start off playing for a relatively small stake.

2) At any stage one player can announce "contra". This means that the other player has to accept that the bet has now been doubled, or immediately resign.

3) Assuming the game continues, the player who initial said "contra" cannot say it again. The other player can though, and if they do, and the first player accepts the doubled bet (i.e. stake is now four times the original one) then the right to "contra" passed back to the first player.

4) There's probably some rule about draws, perhaps the last person who conta'd loses if the game is drawn.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 am

' Darts chess' went through a phase at British Championships during the 1980's . The rules are quite simple:

Teams are formed.

The thrower must nominate a move.

If you score above 45, you can play your desired move.

Score between 30 and 45 you have to play a different move.

Score below 30 you play a move the opponents want you to make.

I have fond memories of Mestel frustrated that he was unable to play Qxf7 mate due to his lack of darting prowess, worse still as the opponents asked him to play Qf6 instead.

Sounds like a good candidate for Sky Sports!?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 am

andrew martin wrote:I have fond memories of Mestel frustrated that he was unable to play Qxf7 mate due to his lack of darting prowess, worse still as the opponents asked him to play Qf6 instead.
:lol:

I wonder whether any of the standard chess variants would be suitable? Might be too confusing. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to film juniors playing exchange chess?

What might be interesting is to ramp up the skill level over a series of programs. Have some beginners first, then show how they lose to someone slightly stronger, then increase the strength of the opponent so each weak the winning player is someone stronger, and keep going until you get to the strongest players in the country (or even the world). Then wheel in a hunk of silicon. Hmm, maybe not that last one. Might discourage people from taking up the game.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 am

I wonder what reasons the two people who voted No had for doing so :?

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 pm

The two "No" voters presumably have post-midnight, Live TV, topless 'darts chess' in mind. That way lies dismal failure imo.

That said, it could well be that a balance is needed between a traditional chess format (e.g. The Master Game) and a fresher, more varied format. I like the idea of a BBC4 show, 1 hour long, with many fragments - a magazine show if you like. There'd be a puzzle of the week (answer given later in the show), a blitz game, a long game (compressed and as part of an ongoing tournament), a slot where something different is explored (e.g. Bughouse chess, other variants), a report from a domestic or foreign event, a five minute opening theory slot (could occasionally be about endgame technique or even middlegame planning) etc. etc. This way, the whole thing could move along at a quick pace and any aspect that casual observers or chess newcomers might find 'testing' would be quickly moved over, keeping it punchy and stimulating.

Someone like Andrew Martin would be great as an anchor and the secret to making chess sexy to total newcomers, will be to bring in as many young, photogenic co-presenters and players as possible - Trent & Gordon, Howell, Dines, Hegarty etc. This would 'up' chess's image no end with late night viewers and show the nation that today's youth are not all about terrorizing town centres and looting shops. And let's not forget that Danny King caused a lot of ladies to watch the WCC in 1993 on C4, despite them not understanding how to play the game. I believe he was described by some journo as "thinking woman's crumpet". Presenters just need to spark off each other and show some personality for it to work.

So, in a nutshell, keep it fast and punchy, cover as many aspects of the game as possible and keep the presentation sexy and photogenic ( - something the Master Game definitely didn't achieve!). If you have not seen the mainland europe produced, internet-based 'World Chess News TV', it is a chess family presented, non-sparky and somewhat monotone example of the magazine format I am suggesting here. Right model, but poor execution.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Colin Patterson wrote:I like the idea of a BBC4 show, 1 hour long, with many fragments - a magazine show if you like.
Perhaps Top Gear should be the underlying model - a car show for people who don't know much about cars and care even less (as long as their own car actually works), but who want to be entertained on a Sunday evening.

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Ian - I agree. I was thinking of The One Show, but Top Gear is a far better example.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Jon, played contra in Camden Town, in the coffee shop, in the 80s, maybe you did to?
Hi Warren. No, I don't remember ever playing blitz for money in this country. I did on a couple of trips (so to speak) to Amsterdam and once in Indonesia. I've always been a pretty weak blitz player.