Page 1 of 15
2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 pm
by Paul Cooksey
World Cup 2011
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 am
by J. Moore
I am surprised that no one has yet commented on Mickey Adams win, in the first round yesterday, in the World Cup in Russia. There tournament web site is really good as well!!
Re: World Cup 2011
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 am
by David Sedgwick
J. Moore wrote:I am surprised that no one has yet commented on Mickey Adams win, in the first round yesterday, in the World Cup in Russia.
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3420
One for the moderators to sort out, perhaps?
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:45 am
by J. Moore
Sorry guys I missed the original post....
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
From the
Wiki article about Mark Paragua (Adams' first round opponent):
In January 2006 FIDE listed Paragua with a rating of 2618 enough to get him in the top 100, but his rating has dropped to 2521 since his marriage.
Has anyone on here blamed getting married for loss of chess form?
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm
by John Moore
Looks like Mickey is in serious trouble in the second game. Perhaps Paragua's wife told him off!
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:00 pm
by James Coleman
It's not as bad as it was though. I think he can hold this
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 pm
by J. Moore
Are you sure he can hold it??
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:11 pm
by James Coleman
Far from sure but Black will have to work really hard for the win if it's winnable at all. An hour ago I thought he was just busted
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm
by John Moore
Qh5 leaves white a horrible defensive task
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm
by John Moore
Sorry - now been played
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:54 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
The website is reporting a win for Adams, which is good. I'll have to play through the game to see why there was doom and gloom earlier here.
EDIT:Ooops. I was looking at the match score, the game is still going! Looking bad for Adams. Rook against two bishops, two pawns each left on the kingside. Not a clue what should happen. I presume the lack of passed pawns helps Adams defend.
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm
by John Moore
That was the first game Chris doh! second game still going on.
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
John Moore wrote:That was the first game Chris doh! second game still going on.
Yeah, I realise that now!

Do you think it is drawn or winning for Black? I see Black has been shuffling around for ages trying to find a way in, but with no luck it seems.
Re: 2011 World Chess Cup
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 pm
by John Moore
Think that it's won for Black - eventually f4 and f3 will do the job