Manager of British Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Burke

Re: Manager of British Championship

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 am

If the ECF have decided that Alex is not going to be the manager of the British Championships, then who are they going to appoint - and how long will it be before that announcement is made ?

I ask that because the website for the 2011 Championships went online within a couple of weeks of the 2010 event ending so that people could start making arrangements - and I assume that was because of the forward thinking of the Championship Manager at that time (a certain Mr.McFarlane I believe.)

However, it so far seems that those responsible for not reappointing Alex have not had such forethought as we are now at the end of November and nothing has yet been posted regarding any information for next year's event.

When will we hear anything about both the managerial appointment and information about the 2012 tournament ?

... and when will we hear the ECF's reasons behind Alex's non re-election ?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:38 am

E Michael White wrote:There are also a disproportionate number of arbiters on the ECF board. ECF arbiters generally seem to be power crazed individuals who try to get everywhere and do not seem to represent the views of chess players adequately.
Michael,

You might want to change your EC forum password as it would appear someone has been posting in your name.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 am

Alan Burke wrote:I ask that because the website for the 2011 Championships went online within a couple of weeks of the 2010 event ending so that people could start making arrangements - and I assume that was because of the forward thinking of the Championship Manager at that time (a certain Mr.McFarlane I believe.)
The webmaster for the British Championship stood down a few months ago. I think this is the more pertinent reason as to why the 2012 website has not yet appeared.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am

Alan Burke wrote:If the ECF have decided that Alex is not going to be the manager of the British Championships, then who are they going to appoint - and how long will it be before that announcement is made ?

According to the postings a couple of pages ago on Sunday evening, it is claimed the Board deferred their decision. It may also appear that Alex's appointment by normal means depends on his not repeating his requests for Board support against the writings of the Times Chess Correspondent.

Those critical of the ECF didn't have to look far for their most recent piece
http://stevegiddinschessblog.wordpress. ... ostscript/

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am

So when can we expect a decision to be made as to who will be the congress manager for the 2012 Championships ?

So far no manager as well as no webmaster has been appointed - it seems that the ECF are more concerned about not losing face that they are in actually beginning organising next year's event.

It also seems like a case of the ECF cutting off their nose to spite their face - just because they want to try and prevent Alex from asking questions they don't want to answer (possibly because they know their answers will not reflect upon them in a good light) they put the organising of the Championships in turmoil by not reappointing the best person for the job.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:The webmaster for the British Championship stood down a few months ago. I think this is the more pertinent reason as to why the 2012 website has not yet appeared.
There are many positions that the Manager has to fill. This is but one of them. Under normal circumstances such positions would at least be being negotiated.

The Board's procrastination does not help to get a good event organised. Many of the requirements needed to stage the event are now time critical. Currently I am not in a position to do anything, not even offer advice to a successor!

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It may also appear that Alex's appointment by normal means depends on his not repeating his requests for Board support against the writings of the Times Chess Correspondent.
Understood. You missed the time of 10.02; perhaps you were aiming for 10 to 11.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Another quite important and generally well conducted thread getting spoilt by someone diverting attention from the core issue and that is to keep a very good arbiter in the job he likes and which he excels.
I dont have an issue with Alex as Championship manager. I cant help thinking the emotive support is not assisting Alex though.

I think Alex should make sure the PCC are aware of certain points otherwise they will probably contact the ECF for clarification and not necessarily obtain a correct view. IMV the most important points are:-

There was a dress code policy as determined by the FIDE Tournament rules ( not the laws of chess). These apply to all participants.
Stewart Reuben often refers to these as best practice guidlines but they are compulsory for National Championships where IM norms may be obtained such as the British. The dress code requires participants be dressed in a suitable manner. Its normal practice for a championship manager or senior arbiter to form a view as to what is suitable. As regards his decisions, whether correct or not, Alex is protected as an ECF manager at the time and the responsibility rests with the ECF. It has been reported that there was no dress code.
Last edited by E Michael White on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:31 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Back to the here and now. I want to play in the 2012 British Seniors championships at North Shields. As has been said nothing so far has appeared on the relevant web site- how long do we have to wait before any arrangements can be made?
As it stands at the moment, it's only potential players in the British and the Major Open who know their likely schedules. With advocacy of a nine round event having been put forward, even that is slightly questionable. On the basis of the Sheffield and Canterbury scheduling, the Seniors would be seven rounds in the afternoon with six hour non-increment sessions, starting from the middle Saturday.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Is this the worst possible outcome;
Ray Keene is appointed manager (expences paid of course) for the 2012 British
October 2012 CJ De-Mooi stands down as President and nominates
Ray Keene who gets the position by default due to lack of any other volunteers.
If either of these things happen I would be prepared to eat a copy of The Times* at the opening ceremony of any tournament you care to name. Aside from anything else, I'm not convinced that Manager of the British Championship is the sort of position that RDK would covet.

*Or a copy of the The Times' chess column, at least.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Is this the worst possible outcome;
Ray Keene is appointed manager (expences paid of course) for the 2012 British
October 2012 CJ De-Mooi stands down as President and nominates
Ray Keene who gets the position by default due to lack of any other volunteers.
I feel confident that if such an election were to be put forward, none of the above would emerge victorious.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:BTW respect to Andrew Farthing for at least coming on here and saying something even if it really does not give us much hope of a ready solution. The person who said he would be a regular contributor to this forum to ensure openess in his activities as president seems to have gone AWOL and has been for some time. CJ are you still around?
Has it occurred to you that CJ might be leaving it to Andrew Farthing to speak on behalf of the Board?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I seem to recall promises of accounts being published for his chess activities?
Good luck getting a response on that one.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Why is CJ being asked to comment? I thought we'd established the appointment is within Adam's authority?

CJs view would be relevant if we were discussing the rights and wrongs of what heppened in 2011. But unless Alex's conditions for taking the job require some action from the board relating to 2011, it doesn't seem relevant.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote: But unless Alex's conditions for taking the job require some action from the board relating to 2011, it doesn't seem relevant.
There seems reason to believe that he does. Either that or the Board wanted his future silence.

Whoever has the job should, in their own defence, establish ground rules for who is in charge of invitations and detail of the 2012 Opening and Closing Ceremonies, or even their non-existence.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Guys, I think we need to `cool it` and await some clarifications.
Slagging off our Arbiters, who do a very difficult job, for which we should all be very appreciative, is not a good idea.
Talking about `dress code` also doesnt seem too clever, except for the avoidance of extreme or potentially offensive atire.
So, given that `dress` is very much a matter of personal taste...maybe we just need to ask that members try to stay within generally excepted norms.....which most players do most of the time.
Hopefully, the board and Alex can resolve any outstanding points `privately`, and reach an amicable position that allows us to move forward.
BRING BACK THE BCF