Off Topic Stuff

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Manager of British Championship

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Carol Williams ... Please note that my comment on page 10 of this thread refered to "some people" (ie plural) and not about any particular individual. However, if you feel a certain person falls into that category then that is your thought about them, not mine.

It also seems very perculiar that although my comment was on page 10, you have not made any response to it until page 15 but only after someone else decided to make a statement for you - and even though you had previously made a post on page 13 without on that occasion mentioning my page 10 comment.
Alan, you have yet again ignored a request from a moderator a couple of posts up to draw a line under this and so this is a warning to behave
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Re: Manager of British Championship

Post by Alan Burke » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Carl Hibbard ... Some of us have to work during the day and so have only just managed to come onto the forum and have an opportunity to reply to a post in which I was named.

Does that mean you are now imposing a time limit for people to be able to respond to comments about them ?

You also say "yet AGAIN" ... so where was the first time such a request was made on this matter ???

Alan Burke

Re: Off Topic Stuff

Post by Alan Burke » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Please note that I was NOT the author of this topic ... I assume that Carl Hibbard has created this topic and transferred comments from another thread. Therefore it should be his name as the topic author.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:42 pm

This is hilarious.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Please note that I was NOT the author of this topic ... I assume that Carl Hibbard has created this topic and transferred comments from another thread. Therefore it should be his name as the topic author.
No it does appear Sean moderated us both, not that it matters
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Please note that I was NOT the author of this topic ... I assume that Carl Hibbard has created this topic and transferred comments from another thread. Therefore it should be his name as the topic author.
It was me who asked people to keep posts in the Manager of British Championships thread on topic, and therefore me who split the subsequent off topic posts into a separate thread. Please feel free to continue to post anything NOT about the Manager of British Championships here. I'm off to play chess :-)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes oh great and power mad arbiter :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am

"Yes oh great and power mad arbiter"

In fairness, Sean has a reputation to uphold!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:SNIP I'm off to play chess :-)
Is that a statement of fact or opinion? seriously, how did it go?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Some of us might wonder about having an endorsement from Giddins in our sig, Kevin :lol: :lol:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Yes oh great and power mad arbiter :roll:
This forum needs a like button :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Yet again Alan has decided to issue the threat of legal proceedings, so if this forum goes quiet you know who and why
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 pm

My name had been falsely used as the author of this thread even though I was not the person involved. I therefore questioned this with the moderators to find out who had hacked into my account to do so. It transpired that it was one of the moderators (Sean Hewitt) who had used my name to open this thread with neither my permission nor even asking if it was OK to use my name in such a manner. The first solution by one moderator (Carl Hibbard), rather than taking any action against the "hacker" of my name, was to suggest that he delete all my posts and my account from the forum; whilst another moderator (Sean Hewitt) was quite willing for me to take appropriate proceedings against him for falsely using my name.

However, it now seems that sanity has prevailed and that Carl Hibbard has now replaced my name with his own as the author of this thread.

However, please note that although Carl Hibbard originally censured me for overriding a moderator's request to cease comments on a certain subject, once I made a valid point as to why I did so, Carl Hibbard seemingly didn't have the decency to respond but instead this thread was initiated.

I did mention to the moderators that I thought it not within their remit to use someone else's name without their permission and stated I would be looking at taking proceedings about that situation unless my name was removed as the author.

As that request has now been adhered to I have since told the moderators that no such action will be forthcoming, so Carl Hibbard's above post is a totally false representation of the situation as he already knew when posting the above comment that I had no intention of pursuing such matters.

However, I think everyone should now be aware of this situation of a moderator using someone else's name in this forum.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:04 pm

The forum software defines "the author of the thread" as "the author of the first post in the thread". This will usually be the person who started the thread, but it may not be in the case of discussions that got split out of the thread they started in.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Alan Burke wrote:However, I think everyone should now be aware of this situation of a moderator using someone else's name in this forum.
There is no logging in or hacking as you seem to suggest?

If a moderator splits a thread apart into two as they are quite entitled to do then whoever is the first person in that new thread is listed as the author of that thread

Nothing sinister it's the way this software works?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard