Trent and Gordon Commentary at the Classic

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Krishna Shiatis

Trent and Gordon Commentary at the Classic

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 am

I really have to comment on this. I have just watched the link of the commentary from yesterday at the Classic. I used the link from the main website.

It is BRILLIANT!

Superb commentary. It is lovely that there are two young good-looking guys fronting the commentary like this. An excellent advert for chess. They are smiling, happy and clear. My kids are learning so much! I would recommend it to everyone who can not be there.

Well done guys!

PS You did ask for comments on ties, perhaps a little more colour? No just kidding, you look very smart!

Paul Cooksey

Re: Trent and Gordon Commentary at the Classic

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 am

I spent most of yesterday in the Commentary Room, and felt an excellent job was being done all round. Danny and Stuart also excellent, Dr Short his inimitable self, and if Krishna saw it, presumably the techical team doing a good job too!

If I have a small criticism, it was that the frequent change overs and guest appearances cut off some interesting discussions which did not all get picked up. I suppose this is a particular challenge on the first day when there are a lot of comings and goings, but a bit of flexibility in giving 5 minutes to finish a discussion would maybe help. But overall, agree it was very good.

I felt the player interviews were a highlight:
- Magnus is clearly a challenging interview. When asked a question, his instinct seems to be to think rather than to talk. A good quality in a chess player maybe, but Stephen did have to work hard to get him to say anything. That said his assessment of the position, even if he was being cagey, was fascinating. I liked his firm insistence f5 was the right way to play, despite GMs trying to interest him in other lines, it is interesting to see his style develop.
- Kramnik seemed to be using the post-mortem to score some points in classic Soviet style! In the light of Carlsen's interview questioning the depth of Nakamura's chess understanding, I thought there was an interesting exchange about the opening. Nakamura said he'd checked it all by computer, and Kramnik questioned trusting the computer in this line!

PS If Krishna particularly enjoys the FEB team, she should maybe plug their podcast as they requested! http://thefeb.com/

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 pm

I followed the commentary on line all the way through and thought it was very good. A couple of minor points:

I agree with Paul about the frequent changeovers. The appearance of David Sedgwick in particular was rather odd as the sound went off at that point and all we heard was music, and then they went straight to a break afterwards.

It was unfortunate that we missed a lot of the excitement in Aronian-McShane and Carlsen-Howell as they were going the Adams-Anand game at that point. I think it would be better to wait until after move 40 for the players to start going through their games, though I guess the players don't want to be hanging around.

I also think it would be better if they displayed the webcam of the game they are discussing, so anyone joining the broadcast knows which game they are talking about. Its interesting to watch the players body language. They started doing this towards the end.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Oh, there is games today - nice!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I am intrigued as to what Mickey meant by his 'big technical advantage'. Is a technical advantage different from a normal advantage? I presume he meant his Q-side pawn majority, but Black's position always looked fine to me. Am I missing something?

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Super commentary again today guys!

Like the unbuttoned shirt look, definitely cool.

Just one small detail, you do not seem to have the moves as they are being played and so missing some interesting play as you're going through them in a 'clump'. Also, perhaps to get the GMs coming out of the games to comment for a bit longer on the games still being played. I would have liked to have seen Nakamura and Aronian's view on the McShane/Carlsen end-game.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Can anyone define that well-known chess expression "trousers"?

HLang

Post by HLang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:Can anyone define that well-known chess expression "trousers"?
http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_review ... m_mnl.html

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Lost sound at the end....not sure if it is just me though. Great game from Luke and Magnus. Excellent commentary from Lawrence and Stephen.

They look like they are enjoying themselves and keep everyone smiling even though it must be exhausting commenting for so long.

I think that they should make up a new 'chess' word every day. I challenge them to introduce the word 'sugar plum'. (If they dare!)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 pm

HLang wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:Can anyone define that well-known chess expression "trousers"?
http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_review ... m_mnl.html
Thanks! So not made up after all!

Lawrence has been reading books!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Peter Shaw wrote:The appearance of David Sedgwick in particular was rather odd as the sound went off at that point and all we heard was music, and then they went straight to a break afterwards.
You should be grateful he made an appearance at all!

Earlier today, I was crossing Hammersmith Road, outside the venue. I got half way. I took a punt to cross the road when there was no traffic. I just about made it to the other side when David decided to take the same punt in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, as he was a quarter of the way across the road, a taxi came speeding around the corner towards him... David retreated to the side of the road in time to avoid an accident.

No harm done. :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 am

A pedantic point: pants are not the same as trousers (except in the USA).

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:51 am

I think you are right Mike, look at the confusion it caused Superman. He kept wearing his pants on the outside!

Just remembered something from yesterday.

Gawain came in at the end and chatted very informatively with Stephen and Lawrence about the McShane/Carlsen endgame. Maybe Gawain might come and sit in front of the cameras next time as it would have been nice to see him too!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 am

Krishna Shiatis wrote:I think you are right Mike, look at the confusion it caused Superman. He kept wearing his pants on the outside!

Gawain came in at the end and chatted very informatively with Stephen and Lawrence about the McShane/Carlsen endgame. Maybe Gawain might come and sit in front of the cameras next time as it would have been nice to see him too!

Playing in the Open might keep him a little busy ;-)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:I think you are right Mike, look at the confusion it caused Superman. He kept wearing his pants on the outside!

Playing in the Open might keep him a little busy ;-)
Thank you Jonathan :D , just for clarity, I did mean after he has finished his game (I think that was the case yesterday!) and only if he feels like it.

Edit: Also, if he is invited to do so by Stephen and Lawrence. Just randomly sitting down with a beer might not be such a good idea.... :) I do understand that clarity is very important here.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.