Tournament choice: grade limit or time control?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Tournament choice: grade limit or time control?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote: I'm not sure which to enter (both isn't really an option). I'm leaning towards the U125 event, because I'd prefer to have more time and also, play starts in the morning and ends early evening each day, which is better for me. There's also the advantage that I've got a bit more time to prepare. However, opponents are likely to be a lot stronger than me and I'll be out of my depth.
I would have thought it likely that as both tournaments are the lowest section, that the fields would be comparable. Whilst the U125 may have players rated above 115 in it, if you start in the pairings at the tail of the seeded swiss, you will likely only get to play someone of that grade if you start with 1.5/2 or 2/2. If you do that, it's a nice to have rather than a problem.

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 am

Krishna, thanks for that. I had a brief look at the KJCA website. There's an Institute of Chess and they do exams?! You really do learn something new every day :).

Roger, thanks also. Heh, if I even managed 0.5/2 through the first two rounds I'd be ecstatic. It's not likely to happen though, so I suppose I'd be safe playing in the U125 (heh, at least it's not U140!). The decision may be made for me now, though, as I think I may have to make other plans for the 17th/18th weekend, but we'll see.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am

Nicky Chorley wrote:Krishna, thanks for that. I had a brief look at the KJCA website. There's an Institute of Chess and they do exams?! You really do learn something new every day :).
You're welcome! The Institute has been around for a few years and was 'called' something else before. It has evolved into what it is today, recently (ie in the last 3-4 years) I think. Although, I am sure the chess officionados will know more about the history of it than I.

I am glad you have made your decision - good luck, will be looking out for you!

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 pm

I played 4 games and then withdrew (I had a cold and having a headache/feeling coldy doesn't help my game). Here's a quick summary of my games:

Round 1: White vs. Johann Power (108) 0-1
Sicilian Defense, Scheveningen (or Najdorf, I'm not sure. a6 was played)
A good loss. I say that because I thought I played quite well and my opponent said I gave him a good game. As soon as I saw a6, I decided to make b6 a target and use that square as an outpost for a bishop. I'd seen this in some master games, so thought I'd try it. I got into time trouble and eventually lost on time (I think my opponent had about 20 min left by the time I ran out).

Round 2: Black vs. David Walker (83) 0.5-0.5
Slav Defense
A lucky draw. My opponent had a mate threat with the queen and rook attacking my king, but I managed to claim a draw by repetition. He mistakenly thought I also had a mate threat and the repetition wasn't forced. He had two legal moves in the position and the other would have left my queen en prise meaning he'd get a tempo to mate. Definitely need to make sure I calculate a bit more, because I really should have lost there.

Round 3: White vs. Albert Xu (92) 0-1
Italian Game
Awful game and a very quick loss (14 moves). Don't know what happened there. Games like this just show how bad my play is.

Round 4: Black vs. Monika Gergelova (38) 0-1
King's Gambit Accepted
I didn't really know what to do with the opening and managed to get behind in development quite quickly and she had two pawns in the centre. For most of the game, I was trying to try and get rid of them, but couldn't work out how. I couldn't put pieces (really knights) where I wanted them because I thought I'd lose tempo due to the d and e pawns. Nevertheless, the game got into an endgame, she created passed pawns and promoted one. An observer said I could have gotten there first but I'm not sure that's true (I'll have to go back and look at the game). My opponent should see a grading improvement; she knows what she's doing! Oh and the clock broke at some point during the game. Fun times!

Ahh, my play is still crap. A good loss and a lucky draw, so it doesn't seem like there were many positives. I'm thinking about playing the Blackpool congress, as they have an under 90 section there.

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Have you considered entering one of the rapidplay day tournaments with minor sections? The Richmond Rapidplay that I take my children to play at quite frequently has an under 100 section. You do have to watch some of the (significantly undergraded) juniors, though. Personally I find half an hour time control very difficult, but I'm giving it a go myself in the next section up on January 15th.

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:53 pm

I've played rapid events before (including Richmond), but the time control is far too quick for me. I need the thinking time :). Richmond was well organised, though (as are Adam Raoof's Golders Green events). I may start playing some more this year though, because I think I've improved a little bit, so might be able to cope a bit more.