Guardian Chess Column

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Malcolm Clarke

Re: Guardian Chess Column

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:39 pm

On the subject of chess columns I did write a chess column for the Southern Daily Echo from January 1993 until the end of last season. I submitted an article virtually every week during that time and every Southampton League result during that time appeared and before me my predecessor the late Iain Stenhouse did similarly for a significant number of years.

Unfortunately though the sports pages of the Southern Daily Echo is mainly restricted to news on Southampton and Eastleigh football clubs so now my articles on the Southampton Chess League are restricted to the Hampshire Chess Association website, although I do also write a chess column for the Hampshire Chronicle just covering clubs in their catchment area.

At the beginning of my involvement with the game of chess I read Hugh Alexander in the Sunday Times and Harry Golombek in the Observer.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Since it exists yet hardly earns a mention in this thread which bears its name.....https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ampionship

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Although it is not strictly related to the title of this thread Leonard Barden did have a definite influence on my early chess career as I learned the Scotch Gambit from one of his books and played it as white for a couple of years and appreciated the value of giving up the b and c pawns and having bishops on c4 and b2. I also recall another player playing the Scotch Gambit at around the same time, but playing Bc4 before c3.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm

HI Malcolm,

That will be the Guardian Book on Chess. see viewtopic.php?t=9351#p207326 and the following comments.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 am

I know this is a bit off topic, but knowing that Geoff is a great Leyton Orient fan I expect that he is pleased at Leyton Orient's promotion especially as the club now has a chairman who does not run on to the pitch and kick his team's managers.

I saw Leyton Orient play at my local team Eastleigh who are in the same league and I believe it was their first title success since 1970

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat May 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Happy days but no good to me.

Gateshead and Hartlepool were my home games. (Gateshead in trouble BTW).

I'm a fan these days, a supporter is someone who puts money into the club - goes to the games.
Get my soccer fix these days with, Hibs, Edinburgh City. Next season going to add in Linlithgow Rose.

Back to chess....This book. (link?...he may be an O's fan!)

Was written by Paul A. Roberts a very keen chess player and full member over at Red Hot Pawn.

I have just started reading this:

It was written in 1962. So far mentions Botvinnik as the world champion and a position from Morphy at the Opera.
(the main character, Nero Wolfe, also has a butler called 'Fritz.')

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon May 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Finished my Rex Stout book which doubles as a Detective novel and a cook book.
The game Dodge - Houghteling, Chicago 1905 with this famous final position gets a mention.

Wonderfully described as a 'Rainbow of Bishops and Knights.'

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Thu May 09, 2019 7:38 pm

I think there's a game of Frank Hatto's with a mate like this, Geoff. BH Wood quoted it.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Interesting position, thanks Geoff.