British Championship 2008

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: British Championship 2008

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm

I think we could learn from golf. For the open championship for example certain players are exempt from qualifying. This is players ranked above a certain level. Anyone else can play by entering a qualifying event and doing well enough.

If we applied that to chess, we could say that the reigning champion plus the top x ranked players qualify as of right (presumably with a minimum activity level required).

For the remaining places, a SMALL number of qualifying events should be held. This does not mean that every weekend swiss is a qualifying event. Rather, there are three or four qualifying events, each with y qualifying places on offer. If the championship was to be a 12 player all play all, x could be 4 and y may well only be 2. If it were to be a swiss as now, x might be say 12 and y could be 6-12 depending on how strong you want the event to be - and how many qualifying events you wish to hold.

With that formula anyone can still enter (and win) the championship.

You could even have events bidding to be one of the qualifiers.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:If we applied that to chess, we could say that the reigning champion plus the top x ranked players qualify as of right (presumably with a minimum activity level required).
That's where I would object. I believe you have to prove that you deserve to be a top ranked player by playing. I would ask for a decent minimum number of rated games to be played by all but the reigning champion - 10 maybe. Naturally those who have to qualify will have played these.

Otherwise a good idea :)
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 pm

So where is young Hawkins in Round 10 - over half an hour gone and he has not appeared to play Eggleston!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Here he is - 50 minutes late. Must be a story there.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am

And he won, too. Reminiscent of Fischer-Reshevsky at Sousse.

Seven potential winners on the last day. Let's hope for fireworks on the top board.

Meanwhile, some thoughts.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

TomChivers

Post by TomChivers » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:13 am

Should be an interesting last round . . .

1 Williams, Simon K.......2496 (7) ..... Conquest, Stuart........ 2536 (7½)
2 Arkell, Keith C......... 2506 (7) ..... Jones, Gawain C......... 2549 (7)
3 Lalic, Bogdan........... 2533 (7) ..... Gordon, Stephen......... 2508 (7)
4 Davies, Nigel R......... 2478 (6½) ..... Kolbus, Dietmar......... 2393 (7)

Will Conquest try to draw his way into a play-off tomorrow? or try to win the thing cleanly, going for a win with black today?

I'm guessing he might not be able to avoid a full-blooded struggle though - presumably Williams will go for it from move 1.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Greg Breed wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:If we applied that to chess, we could say that the reigning champion plus the top x ranked players qualify as of right (presumably with a minimum activity level required).
That's where I would object. I believe you have to prove that you deserve to be a top ranked player by playing. I would ask for a decent minimum number of rated games to be played by all but the reigning champion - 10 maybe. Naturally those who have to qualify will have played these.

Otherwise a good idea :)
Hi Greg - Thats why I said "with a minimum activity level required" so that an inactive player with a higher rating doesnt qualify at the expense of an active, slightly lower rated player.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 pm

TomChivers wrote:Should be an interesting last round . . .

1 Williams, Simon K.......2496 (7) ..... Conquest, Stuart........ 2536 (7½)
2 Arkell, Keith C......... 2506 (7) ..... Jones, Gawain C......... 2549 (7)
3 Lalic, Bogdan........... 2533 (7) ..... Gordon, Stephen......... 2508 (7)
4 Davies, Nigel R......... 2478 (6½) ..... Kolbus, Dietmar......... 2393 (7)

Will Conquest try to draw his way into a play-off tomorrow? or try to win the thing cleanly, going for a win with black today?

I'm guessing he might not be able to avoid a full-blooded struggle though - presumably Williams will go for it from move 1.
I reckon Stuart would take the draw at the first opportunity. It guarantees him a share of the first prize money, regardless of whatever happens in a play off for the title. For him, to lose this game would be terrible.

However, Si is unlikely to want a draw (I wouldnt have thought) so I expect to see Si chuck the kitchen sink at Stuart. How it pans out could be very interesting indeed me thinks!

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Only Conquest can win outright. All those on 7 need to win to have a chance of sharing first (or, at least, making the play off). It's been an exciting tournament and I can't wait for the start of the last round.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Simon Williams wins outright if he beats Stuart and the other leading games are drawn.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Quite correct, John (I'm wrong).

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm

If I could finesse Jon slightly - Simon can also withstand a positive result on board four, provided it goes White's way and not Black's.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Hi Greg - Thats why I said "with a minimum activity level required" so that an inactive player with a higher rating doesnt qualify at the expense of an active, slightly lower rated player.
I seem to be getting into a bad habit of only reading what I want to read. Sorry about that... :oops:
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Does anyone know what's up with the last round games? Board 1 began as Williams-Conquest, but now the names are Hawkins-Gormally. The same moves are showing as originally. Board 4 is now labelled Williams-Conquest. Which is the right one?

I'd like to know if I'm watching the key game or not!

Plus - thumbs down for the lack of ambition on Board 3.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Williams-Conquest is Board 4 on my browser. Lalic-Gordon is a shame, but who knows? Bogdan may have a bad record against Gordon and after all, they presumably get a decent prize for 7.5 and 7.0 might get not very much.