Page 1 of 1
Best books / software for coming back to chess?
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 pm
by AndyCouchman
Hi all
I am looking for chess books as i am coming back to chess after a break of many years. So i am seeking the best books from basic theory, then continuing progression.
Advice and opinions on the best software would also be appreciated
Regards
Andy
Re: Best books / software for coming back to chess?
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 am
by Greg Breed
Chessmaster was great in helping me progress from novice to club player. That's what I'd recommend for software. Fritz is the most well known for strong opposition and analysis but Chessmaster is a great teaching tool.
Re: Best books / software for coming back to chess?
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:40 am
by TomChivers
I think the best thing is to start playing again - enter tournaments, and, especially, join a club.
Then take advice six months later from people who've come to know your play.
Re: Best books / software for coming back to chess?
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:24 pm
by AndyCouchman
Thanks guys
Re: Best books / software for coming back to chess?
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 pm
by Steve Collyer
CT-Art 3.0 is the best tactical puzzle trainer I think & let's face it - tactics is where 90% of our games are won & lost.
Here's the link if you want to check it out (4th one down):
http://www.chessdirect.co.uk/acatalog/C ... D_110.html