Player of the Year 2012

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ernie Lazenby

Re: Player of the Year 2012

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:Our game has suffered some bad press in recent times of that there is no doubt and our absent President was responsible for much of it. That said I don't think we should devalue an award that recognises someone's chess ability simply to embarrass a President who actually appears to care little about anything connected to chess politics.

I fully understand the frustration demonstrated by Alex however I think the best way of supporting Lara is for us all to send an e mail to the ECF office expressing total support for Lara and suggesting our President should be encouraged to vacate his position ASAP. E mail to be marked for the attention of the Board.
Or ... one could do somethig which will actually get noticed. A public vote for Lara cannot be ignored, because (with all due respect to her plus score in her local league) it will be obvious that "something is up"
Ernie Lazenby wrote: I fear that if Lara was to get the award it would not be seen in good light notwithstanding the heart felt reasons behind the nomination.
This I don't understand. Why and by whom? It would be us voting for her.

I don't intend to keep pressing this campaign, it wasn't even my own idea! I do see that even among those who are disgusted by certain events, some (like Ernie) will still want to keep chess playing and politics separate.

I am just saying that there is a respectable argument for a protest vote here, on the basis that (1) no one seems to want to halt the manifest problems caused by our President (assisted by his presumably self-selected Alternate President) and the mainstream chess don't even want to refer to the CJ-Keene-Lara-Short-suing FIDE sagas (2) yet what can we do about it? We don't even get a direct vote on CJ as President, nor any other Board member, even though many of us are forced against our will to pay money to the ECF (which might be regarded as a form of blackmail since it is not obvious that the ECF has any proper business in striking players off the FIDE list for non-payment). When it comes to voting - as opposed to any other form of activity - all we are ever allowed to do is vote for ECF player of the year. Well a win for Lara will be noticed.

There is a fundemental problem and that is the vast majority of chess players care little about chess politics and in fact the vast majority dont post on this forum. It would be hard to convince the ordinary chess player that Lara deserved the player of the year award in front of those mentioned. Such action would be seen as playing politics with a prestigous award. In my view such action would devalue the award no matter what the merit of the protest vote is, and as many know I support Alex and Lara.
One has to pick the time and place for a fight and having thought about it for several days I dont think using the vehicle of this award is the right thing to do.
This forum is very usefull indeed if I can help with the cost of running it I will however we have to understand that whatever our views are as expressed here they are not going to be of much help at ECF meetings unless the elected reps on Council are instructed to say something in support of Lara and Alex and vote as the members direct. Sadly I am of the view that will not happen under the current structure.

It is a very sad situation Alex and Lara are in but I fear the merits of their case against CJ De-Moi and some of the ECF board will be diminished by a protest vote as suggested.

What must happen is a clear message be sent to CJ DE-Mooi and some of the ECF board saying they must go because events since Shefffield clearly show they are not fit for office.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:58 pm

I was thinking of voting for Ray, myself.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 pm

I have just visited the Giddiness blog and much as it pains me to say it something he has written is something I have been saying for some time. He said Ulf Anderson is reported as saying Chess no longer has any class. Anderson is right it has no class at all internationally or nationally and for people of my generation that is sad.

The player of the year award is one of the few remaining bits of 'class' and it really must not be devalued.

If we had an award for dedication, honesty, hard work for the chess community and for being all round good eggs then Lara and Alex would be worthy winners.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:55 am

He said Ulf Anderson is reported as saying Chess no longer has any class

What does this actually mean?
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:34 am

Colin Patterson wrote:Ian - re:accommodation - I live in the area, but confess to having little experience of the hotels or guesthouses to draw on.

Good luck, and hope to see a few of you up here.
Thanks for the information Colin, Martineau Guest House looks very nice, but was unfortunately booked for the days I required, I did consider South Shields as an option, eventually I fell back on your back-up plan and have booked accommadation in Whitley Bay, although 4 miles from the venue I will be relying on a decent bus service (about to consult Nexus). I see what you mean about the venue regards postcode, I always go into street view when on google earth, to confirm I have the correct location, although Chess-Hockey sounds interesting? :)

kind regards
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:41 am

Colin Patterson wrote:Justin - North Shields pubs ... you may be thinking of the Wooden Doll or Magnesia Bank ...
I would also recommend the Cumberland Arms and Salutation in Tynemouth. All fine real ale venues.
Thanks Colin & Justin, you have kindly mapped out my routes for the week, Whitley Bay via North shields and Tynemouth! not sure where I can fit Newcastle in. :?
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Ian, and anyone else interested in the best real ale pubs, accommodation, food, travel etc. in and around North Shields please feel free to email me on [email protected] as this is not the best thread to be talking about it!
We are in negotiation with N.Tyneside tourist people to put on a special (free preferably) bus service along the coast in time for the 2 start of play times, also the possibility of subsidised Metro travel.

My votes for player of the year are among: Gawain Jones, Jonathan Hawkins, Zeming Zhang, Mark Hebden and Brendan O'Gorman (all for different reasons)

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

JustinHorton wrote:He said Ulf Anderson is reported as saying Chess no longer has any class

What does this actually mean?
It must have class if someone who writes about it is wearing a bow tie in the photo at the top of his blog.