How do you avoid disputes at the board?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Do Chess Players need to be more clued up on the Laws of Chess?

Last evening after my 35th move I had less than 5 minutes remaining on my clock my opponent 30 minutes, I stopped recording the moves, my opponent then told me I still had to record the moves on his time, I told him no I do not as Ihave less than 5 minutes with no increments, he insisted I record the moves, I again told him I do not, the next time I moved and didn't record he again insisted at which point I ignored him and continued to concentrate on the game, although now somewhat distracted and being low on time I was a pawn up in an opposite colour Rook ending (only kidding!) Bishop ending, when the draw was agreed.
After the game I pointed out to my opponent that as captain of his team he ought to book up on the laws of chess as he was inventing his own rules, he remained adamant that he was correct over the recording of moves and began to misquote Article 10.2 and saying only when I had less than 2 minutes remaining could I stop recording, at this point I gave up and retired to the Bar as I was "spitting feathers".
Last edited by Ian Stephens on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Alex McFarlane

Re: How do you avoid disputes at the board?

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Is this really a blank document?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:21 pm

This document represents my thought on this matter.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:Is this really a blank document?
Oops not intended, Alex I created it in Word and saved it as a rich text format doc. any suggestions?
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 pm

John Upham wrote:This document represents my thought on this matter.
Could you not elaborate John? :)

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:30 pm

LiverpoolvAtticus4b4270312word.doc
does this work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Ian Stephens wrote:
Alex McFarlane wrote:Is this really a blank document?
Oops not intended, Alex I created it in Word and saved it as a rich text format doc. any suggestions?
A rich text file should have the extension .rtf. There's something in there, but not in a format that either Notepad or Wordpad can make any sense of.

If the content is of interest, why not just post it inside [.quote] [./quote]? (leave out the dots)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Roger, it is an account of a league game I played last night, with imported rules from the fide website for clarification, it came to two pages long, are you saying retype as a quote?

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks Bob.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Not playing chess should work.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
:lol:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Ian Stephens wrote: does this work?
Yes

He is, as you say, out of order.

I presume that your league adopted the prohibition on recording moves before they are played and doesn't have special rules about non-recording with less than five minutes.

If your league has an AGM that you are allowed to attend, you could ask that the league controller writes to all clubs and match captains explaining that the league uses the FIDE rules, where it does, and the expected behaviour. The Oxford document, as mentioned before, is an excellent starting point.
http://www.oca.oxfordfusion.com/documen ... ce2010.pdf

This mentions the points raised as
C. Miscellaneous Reminders
(i) The FIDE Laws forbid writing moves down in advance (with certain very specific exceptions—see Article 8.1), and if this happens the player‟s attention should be drawn to it but no further action taken, save in the face of persistent infraction, in which the Committee‟s attention should be drawn to the matter.
(ii) By Article 8.4 of the FIDE Laws, a player who has less than five minutes left on the clock is no longer required to write down the moves. This does not mean that the opponent, still having five minutes or more left, is allowed to stop writing down the moves.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 pm

On the face of it, your opponent has behaved badly.

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:
:lol:
I do try this Mike usually from move 40 onwards!

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Roger, I have perused both the OCA document and the Fide Laws of Chess and gleaned a good deal from them. I have played only a couple of players who have written their moves down first as in last nights game but found it a minor infringement with the intention of informing them after the game so as not to cause distraction during, I believe there are a lot of players who were taught to play this way before the rules changed. Yes a good point about contacting the League controller, this seems to be the way to go, possibly with a rule handbook issued to all players, replacing when rules change.
Last edited by Ian Stephens on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.