Chess on TV: Lewis

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Chess on TV: Lewis

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 am

Did anyone see Lewis last night? Some woman, a fetish/bondage photographer gave a clock simul near the start, played internet chess, had some sort of "chess stalker" who would make games on a board when no one was looking. Some of the chess looked quite realistic for the chess in TV genre (apart a some naff "mate in six" announcement). Didn't really watch the program: I was a Morse fan, liked the earlier Lewis series, but this series has somehow been "need to do the dishes" rather than "necessary viewing". Did anyone see it all? What was the plot device behind the chess?

Peter Shaw

Re: Chess on TV: Lewis

Post by Peter Shaw » Thu May 31, 2012 12:16 pm

I wouldn't say the chess looked very realistic. The players were making moves (especially captures) in a rather unnatural way, nothing like the way real chessplayers move.

The boards all appeared to be the right way round. I think the internet move announced as 'pawn to e5' was in fact pawn to d5, maybe I misheard. I wonder whether the 'Spassky-Fischer' position was genuine, it did look like a proper chess position at a glance.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu May 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Yes you heard correct, the move d5 was scripted wrongly. I felt the chess theme was out of context with the story line, it made no sense to me. Halfway through the programme I asked my wife if she got the point about the chess and she replied No but I dont get the point about chess full stop' :lol:

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Thu May 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: Some woman, a fetish/bondage photographer gave a clock simul
Some Woman Paul? "What a Woman!!" I'd say, Now if I could just get White odds? :)

Thanks for the info Paul, not a Lewis fan myself, but hopefully can check it out on "Catch up TV"
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Peter, I wasn't really watching, just turned around when I heard a clock being pressed or pieces being tapped onto a wooden board, so it sounds like you paid better attention. As you said, they did get the boards the right way around. One thing they can never get right is moving the pieces: it takes a lot of practise to achieve the dexterity of a real chess player handling the pieces. Just watch non-players capture a piece for instance. A real chess player does that one-handed in a fluid motion, a non-chess player uses two hands, or shoves the captured piece with the capturing piece and then removes the captured piece in a separate movement. Imagine trying to choreograph that, complete with pressing the clock and recording the move, all with one hand, whilst keeping one's eyes on the board, whilst almost subconsciously keeping a watch on the opponent? Was there a Fischer - Spassky position? Must have missed that part, might have to look at it again on ITV Player to see it. One thing I did note, though, White often seemed castled queenside, but the king was always on b1, rook on c1, perfectly legal of course, but less common, and possibly a mirror image confusion with the king's side castled position. Didn't like the ornate pieces used in the "chess stalker" game, no real chess player would use such monstrosities.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Ian Stephens wrote:Some Woman Paul? "What a Woman!!"
:D
Ian Stephens wrote:Now if I could just get White odds? :)
Bondage Chess? :shock:

Ian Stephens wrote:Thanks for the info Paul
Enjoy!

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

The position in the chess stalker game had supposedly been set to 'Spassky-Fischer with black to move' before the stalker had moved a piece. I didn't really get what the point of the chess stalker plotline was, I didn't think this was one of the better episodes.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Okay, Peter, I'll have to watch it properly tonight!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: a fetish/bondage photographer
A subject area that could be more challenging than weddings and Bar Mitzvahs.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu May 31, 2012 2:21 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:I asked my wife if she got the point about the chess and she replied No but I dont get the point about chess full stop :lol:
Oh, so it's not just my wife then! :x

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm

I just watched it with a bit more case on ITV Player.
Peter Shaw wrote:I wonder whether the 'Spassky-Fischer' position was genuine, it did look like a proper chess position at a glance.
a) The White queen was on a3
b) Therefore game 6, Fischer had white in a Tartakower (Bondarevsky/Makagonov) QGD
c) Black rook on a7, Black knight on b8, White bishop on b5
d) The fetish photographeuse says that the position before the chess stalker made his move was Spassky - Fischer 1972 Black to move
e) Therefore the position is after Black's 16th move, 16... Ra7

Do people really say, "Spassky - Fischer"? It seems respectful to name the champion before the challenger in a WCh match, but it actually seems more normal to think of that match as "Fischer - Spassky", certainly if referring to a game in which Fischer had the White pieces.
Paul McKeown wrote:Didn't like the ornate pieces used in the "chess stalker" game, no real chess player would use such monstrosities.
Actually having given the programme a little more attention, I withdraw that. The pieces clearly matched the portrayed character's interests in form, style and design.

Does anyone know the name for that style of chess piece? I remember ducking out of the rain once some years ago into an antique shop on Portobello Market, where there was a similar set at some eye-watering price. The pieces are red and white, the style is perfectly circular in cross section, the pieces being distinguished by vertical variations in the cross section, as if having been turned on a lathe.
Peter Shaw wrote:I wouldn't say the chess looked very realistic. The players were making moves (especially captures) in a rather unnatural way, nothing like the way real chessplayers move.
Having watched it again, I thought the chess scenes were definitely a cut above what is normally presented in televisual drama, but still a bit odd to real chess players! The way the woman slid the piece across the board in one of the clock simuls was definitely not right: no one slides a piece, except a child, or someone trying to wind someone else up. Some genuine attempt was made to get the chess details right, but I reckon it's almost impossible unless you employ real chess players.

Still don't really understand why this character was a chess player capable of giving clock simuls, etc.. Was she based on some real person? I still don't understand either why two other characters were also chess players, and, I still don't really understand what the chess added to the script or was meant to convey to the audience. Can anyone help?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Maybe Geoff Chandler could help - he's usually got plenty to say on the Lewis chess pieces... :twisted:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:04 am

"the style is perfectly circular in cross section, the pieces being distinguished by vertical variations in the cross section, as if having been turned on a lathe."

That sounds like the "English" pattern.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:06 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"

That sounds like the "English" pattern.
It looked like one of the pre Staunton patterns. In the context of a flat containing a number of "works of art", it made a certain sense.

Horrific violence though - to the clocks in the Simul.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Horrific violence though - to the clocks in the Simul.
Yes, that was another detail that was inauthentic. No experienced chess player will dream of bashing the clock with his or her wrist or with the heel of the hand, they normally press the button with the index finger. You do occasionally see inexperienced players butchering the clock in this manner, though.