English Arbiters to suffer???

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nigel Short

Re: English Arbiters to suffer???

Post by Nigel Short » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:28 pm

All you are saying is the court is not a high court. Nevertheless its decisions are legally binding.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Ernie Lazenby >That matter will be revisited at the AGM by someone other than me because under the current system I am not allowed to attend.<

That really puzzled me. I thought members could apply to attend the AGM and, if they gave adequate notice and there was room, they would be invited.
Andrew Farthing: Has this changed or am I simply wrong?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Ernie Lazenby >That matter will be revisited at the AGM by someone other than me because under the current system I am not allowed to attend.<

That really puzzled me. I thought members could apply to attend the AGM and, if they gave adequate notice and there was room, they would be invited.
Andrew Farthing: Has this changed or am I simply wrong?
Stewart, it hasn't changed. Ernie is wrong. I think we had five such people attend the Finance Council meeting.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Ernie is wrong. I think we had five such people attend the Finance Council meeting.
I suppose what he meant to say was that he would only be allowed to observe, not to participate or vote. There wouldn't be anything to stop him borrowing a proxy from a friendly local organisation and attending that way.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: Ernie is wrong. I think we had five such people attend the Finance Council meeting.
I suppose what he meant to say was that he would only be allowed to observe, not to participate or vote. There wouldn't be anything to stop him borrowing a proxy from a friendly local organisation and attending that way.
That's also true. He could stand to be Cleveland's ECF Delegate. (I assume he's from Cleveland...)

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:23 pm

E Michael White wrote:My main point was that instead of doing this (extract quoted from initial announcement of ECF protest)
a wider lobbying for support would have sent a more powerful message rather than restricting yourself to the author nations of the dispute presented to CAS. I think you have overfocussed on the wrong aspect.
It's a valid point of view. My approach was influenced by the need for a swift response and the recognition that, understandably, organisations take time to consider issues and decide upon a position. The more organisations that are involved, the longer the process takes and the more politically complicated it becomes. By focusing initially on the most directly affected federations, plus the ECU and ACP, we were able to lodge a protest supported by another five major federations, quickly followed by a sixth and the ACP and ECU. It was sufficient to make an impact in the chess media and, if the statement from the Russian federation is any indication, has the prospect of gaining further force.

Whether the suggested alternative would have achieved more in the time or proved more effective in the long run, I don't know. One has to make a judgement at the time. It's too soon to know whether anything positive will come from the protest. As of now, I am reasonably satisfied with how matters have progressed.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:
E Michael White wrote:My main point was that instead of doing this (extract quoted from initial announcement of ECF protest)
a wider lobbying for support would have sent a more powerful message rather than restricting yourself to the author nations of the dispute presented to CAS. I think you have overfocussed on the wrong aspect.
It's a valid point of view. My approach was influenced by the need for a swift response and the recognition that, understandably, organisations take time to consider issues and decide upon a position. The more organisations that are involved, the longer the process takes and the more politically complicated it becomes. By focusing initially on the most directly affected federations, plus the ECU and ACP, we were able to lodge a protest supported by another five major federations, quickly followed by a sixth and the ACP and ECU. It was sufficient to make an impact in the chess media and, if the statement from the Russian federation is any indication, has the prospect of gaining further force.

Whether the suggested alternative would have achieved more in the time or proved more effective in the long run, I don't know. One has to make a judgement at the time. It's too soon to know whether anything positive will come from the protest. As of now, I am reasonably satisfied with how matters have progressed.
Yes; so far so good, it seems to me, and the Russian support is a real boon.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Roger >I suppose what he meant to say was that he would only be allowed to observe, not to participate or vote. There wouldn't be anything to stop him borrowing a proxy from a friendly local organisation and attending that way.<

FIDE is somewhat different. All the meetings are open. At Commission Meetings you can put up your hand and the chairman may call upon you. This may be true of the Executive Board and General Assembly, but I am not sure. The reason I am not sure is that very likely I would be called upon being personally known to the chairman.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Correct. We have an ECF rep it's Gerry. I don't know for sure and would not want to embarrass him however I think his opinion accords with mine. That said I would expect him to reflect opinion in the County not any individual. If I could get a proxy I would think about attending.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:07 pm

In point of fact I think some damage was done by the 2011 fiasco: the damage was done to the reputation of the ECF in general and to that of its officials, especially, but not only, the President.

I'll repeat my view that it was not, ultimately, properly dealt with, though it doesn't matter so much if the appropriate lessons are genuinely drawn. These would include the lesson that you don't just dispense with proper financial procedures because somebody waves money at you. Some ECF officials who previously didn't understand this, probably now do. Some may not. I doubt that the President does. And from his comments here, I doubt that the FIDE Delegate does either.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:I'll repeat my view that ...
I think that's one the main problem with this thread, endless repetition of entrenched positions. Other problems with the thread include personal dislikes being played out via proxies, accusations and implications of falsehood without clear evidence, conspiratorial thinking. Hasn't it all been said already? At least until new evidence or developments?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Sure, but what can you do? Many or most things we discuss involve reference to previous events, about which they are nearly always unresolved differences. You can't really avoid substantial repetition. Andrew here repeats his view that the where's-the-invoices affair was adequately dealt with: I therefore repeat mine, which is that it was not. But I agree, it doesn't tend to advance the discussion.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Hasn't it all been said already?
A lot of repetition perhaps, but one thing new thing that has been revealed by this thread is that it seems that there are some within the ECF who, despite everything, appear reluctant to accept that the funding arrangements/procedures for Sheffield last year were an utter shambles. That strikes me as a rather important - and rather worrying - piece of information.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Nigel Short wrote:True, but a touch pedantic, Mr. de Coverly. This year's British Championship will be a pale shadow of the 2011 event. That will be due to the absence of sponsorship. Those who have carped on endlessly about 2011 should just bear that in mind...
Does this have to be the case? We appear to have an excellent venue in a beautiful part of the country run by some of country's most respected arbiters who have a track record in organising excellent events - and more to the point are prepared to do the job in very difficult circumstances.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Well, personally, I see (perhaps valid) arguments regarding the ECF's governance as separate from arguments about how the ECF should respond to the male fide governance of FIDE. Their conflation is, to my mind anyway, an abuse of logic and an exercise in politics. And nothing new is being said here, at all.