English Arbiters to suffer???

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: English Arbiters to suffer???

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am

Nigel Short wrote:By itself, I don't think a boycott by the ECF alone will make two hoots difference. A large-scale boycott may, however, be a different matter...
I agree entirely - or even just the threat of a large scale boycott.
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 am

I am pleased to confirm that the President of the Georgian Chess Federation has now contacted me to add his organisation's backing to the ECF-led protest at the Turkish federation's actions. This means that all seven of the federations discriminated against have now united behind our action.

The FIDE Secretariat has acknowledged receipt of the protest.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks Andrew

Is there a time scale on this?

If we were to boycott the event, have we paid anything non-refundable for flights and/or accommodation for the team/captains?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 am

Andrew Farthing wrote:I am pleased to confirm that the President of the Georgian Chess Federation has now contacted me to add his organisation's backing to the ECF-led protest at the Turkish federation's actions. This means that all seven of the federations discriminated against have now united behind our action.

The FIDE Secretariat has acknowledged receipt of the protest.
hardly a surprise given Georgia is one of the two federations taking FIDE to the CAS.

It will all be for nothing unless words are backed up by direct action, failing that FIDE will treat those involved as nuisances to be targeted whenever an opportunity arises.I think that will happen anyway if direct action were to succeed.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

It is wonderful to hear that Ernie supports us in taking direct action against FIDE. That is what we have been doing all along :)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:00 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:[quote="Andrew Farthing"
It will all be for nothing unless words are backed up by direct action,
Ernie,
What options did you have in mind for direct action?
J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 am

Nigel Short wrote:It is wonderful to hear that Ernie supports us in taking direct action against FIDE. That is what we have been doing all along :)
I did not say I supported direct action, I said words are meaningless unless backed up by direct action.

As I have said before everything has cause and effect, this current climate of hostility with FIDE and the Turkish Federation will have long term consequences. I am convinced that the ECF is now dammed if it does and dammed if it does not take direct action. The consequences of one mans
personal war against FIDE.

At the time the first stones were cast did anyone talk about what direct action could be taken or indeed would be taken if words failed to achieve . Posturing seldom achieves anything.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 am

BTW. The action at the CAS is futile, it may result in some back tracking by FIDE but those involved will pay a heavy price in the long run. To achieve real change a good many Federations would have to leave FIDE but that is not going to happen is it?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 am

Ernie Lazenby wrote:To achieve real change a good many Federations would have to leave FIDE but that is not going to happen is it?
If the ECF Board was to propose such an action to ECF Council in October would you support that proposal?

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 am

"One man's personal war"? You obviously haven't been listening, Ernie. The Board voted in favour of the court case. But don't worry - I find your comments merely "stupid, not offensive" as someone said about me a day or two ago...

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

Hi John. No I would not. I do not think the core issue is worth going to all out war with FIDE and it's President. If the ECF were to pull out of FIDE who would it hurt, not FIDE in my opinion, because I believe that when push came to shove very few of the other Federations involved would sign up to it so we would once again be an isolated island. Increasingly in many sports we no longer are taken any notice of.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 am

Nigel Short wrote:"One man's personal war"? You obviously haven't been listening, Ernie. The Board voted in favour of the court case. But don't worry - I find your comments merely "stupid, not offensive" as someone said about me a day or two ago...
There are some of us Nigel who know of your problems with FIDE. We also have followed your close relationship with CJ De-Mooi and some of us recognise rabbits getting star struck in the headlights so it's no surprise you convinced the board to follow your lead. Perhaps you were not the prime mover in all this please do tell.

BTW we can all resort to ill chosen words at times, in respect of my 'stupid' comment you refer to I ought to have said, ill considered.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:40 am

Ernie,

Assuming a number (>10) of Federations (significant ones) decided to pull out of FIDE would you support an ECF Board proposal to join them?

J.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am

Nigel; as you are one of the players involved, I will again ask the questions for you hopefully to answer - would you (and maybe you could ask the other English team members) be willing to show your support for the English arbiters and withdraw from the event unless they are reinstated and what would your reaction be if English players were banned from tournaments due to an unrelated incident which bore no connection to your playing ability ?

Yes, it might be more effective for a wholesale withdrawl by other nations but this a matter of supporting your own countrymen ?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 am

I answered Nigel Short's question to me. Perhaps he will be kind enough to answer my questions to him.