Throwing a game away

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Giulio Simeone

Throwing a game away

Post by Giulio Simeone » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 am

The game I'm posting this time has caused me much sorrow. My opponent played the opening very badly, I attacked him as I should and reached a completely won endgame. As usual, though, I got into serious time trouble, I complicated the position unnecessarily and made some very bad mistakes. After that I had still three pawns for a knight; I advanced those pawns and got again some interesting chances, but I stopped myself just when things were about to get hot and I finally lost.

I commented this game even more extensively than the previous ones. From move 30th to move 40th I wanted to retrace well all the steps that led me from a completely won position to an hard-to-draw one. Some moves I played were also unpractical, I complicated the position a lot when I had very little time left on the clock. By analizing my mistakes, and the reasons why I made them, I hope that in the future I will manage similar situations a bit better.

The endgame from move 41th to move 52th is very interesting, and deserves very detailed notes. Being a piece down, I had two pawn majorities (2 - 0 and 3 - 1) and my opponent had the 'a' passed pawn. As several of these pawns advance and approach the promoting square, the variations become more and more interesting.

The game was played during the last round of the Candidate Masters' Italian Championship, that took place in mid-July in Civitanova Marche, a city on the Adriatic Sea. My opponent was a 41-year-old math teacher from Trento, northern Italy. Time rate was 100 minutes x 40 moves + 30 minutes to finish + 30 seconds/move. As usual, you can play through the variations I underlined.

Enjoy it!