Free Speech

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Douglass

Free Speech

Post by Paul Douglass » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 pm

All,

I've been reading some of the typical posts from this forum recently ... mostly with horror and little surprise sadly.

I was brought up with the old adage - "if you've nothing to good to say, then don't say anything at all" - why can't the likes of Justin Horton and his Streatham cronies just shut up and do something constructive with their lives rather than just bleating on about trivial matters about our really insignificant world?? Either put up or shut up!

Also what's happened with the post from Justin Horton on the Streatham blog regarding Austria - made a few mistakes yourself there (perish the thought) ???? Or just rewording it accordingly???? Its usually good practice for legal reasons not to discuss an open matter which is supposedly in the hands of the police. Not very intelligent eh??

That's my rant complete. Good luck to all who just want to return to the playing of chess.
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

Phil Makepeace

Re: Free Speech

Post by Phil Makepeace » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Paul Douglass wrote:I was brought up with the old adage - "if you've nothing to good to say, then don't say anything at all"
Pot. Kettle. Bored already.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:21 am

Paul Douglass wrote: Also what's happened with the post from Justin Horton on the Streatham blog regarding Austria
I think it's known that the original author is on holiday and has little or no internet access. The blog is something of a writers' collective but perhaps some are more collective than others.

It's unprecedented for that blog to suspend a posting, publicly at least.

The ECF might be justified in taking some sort of (legal) action against possibly defamatory statements made against it, or those acting on its behalf. Even more, it might wish to tick the box for no publicity while it tries resolution. Let's hope it doesn't "forget" to mention what can be revealed when it later reports on its activities.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:21 am

Sometimes I really wish there was a way to downvote posts on here...
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 am

Paul Douglass wrote:All,

I've been reading some of the typical posts from this forum recently ... mostly with horror and little surprise sadly.

I was brought up with the old adage - "if you've nothing to good to say, then don't say anything at all" - why can't the likes of Justin Horton and his Streatham cronies just shut up and do something constructive with their lives rather than just bleating on about trivial matters about our really insignificant world?? Either put up or shut up!

Also what's happened with the post from Justin Horton on the Streatham blog regarding Austria - made a few mistakes yourself there (perish the thought) ???? Or just rewording it accordingly???? Its usually good practice for legal reasons not to discuss an open matter which is supposedly in the hands of the police. Not very intelligent eh??

That's my rant complete. Good luck to all who just want to return to the playing of chess.
[Man shakes newspaper angrily] "These stinking journalists! Why can't they just tell the truth - that everything's fine the way it is?" (Homer Simpson)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:It's unprecedented for that blog to suspend a posting, publicly at least.
Not quite true, in fact. Several years ago I did a post on the similarity in look between Lev Aronian and Rumplestiltskin. Somebody objected and I took the post down. I still regret it - although I can see why the person was concerned - because the cartoon of Rumple I found really did look extraordinarily like Lev at that time.

Anyway, save for posts that were put up early in error and similarly mistakes, that's the only post out of the 1,745 that have appeared that's ever been removed from the blog to date.

As to how the blog works, 1:16 to 1:32 in this clip explains it pretty well:-

http://youtu.be/JvKIWjnEPNY

PS:
For the record, it has been stated on several occasions that we once took down a post after a threat of legal action from a certain Grandmaster. One person in particular seemed to enjoy saying this, even after I sent him the link to prove the post was still there. Anyhoo, it's not true. We did get a legal threat but the post wasn't removed.

It is true that we have amended many posts over the years of course, but that's a very different thing.