Timeline for 2800 ratings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Nepomniachtchi reached his peak live rating yesterday, 17th on the all time list; third in the world

He has 3 rounds of the Russian championship left to gain 6.6 rating points

EDIT he drops back to finish at 2789 going into the Tata Steel Masters in January
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Paul Cooksey

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Still, nice to see Nepo in good form and 2800 seems very realistic if it continues. I think his reputation was as an underachiever in his mid twenties, despite being consistently in the top 20. But he does seems to being praised for a more professional approach now.

I noticed when checking Nepo on 2700chess that Mickey has gained a couple of places while inactive. Svidler, who is now semi-retired, losing a few points is to be expected. But 22 year old Artemiev losing 50 points over the last 18 months is an unpleasant surprise. I was expecting him to challenge for 2800 in the next few years.

I have a theory that the lockdown probably helps those who are diligent theoreticians, like Dubov for example, but hurts those with a reputation for being practical players who rely more on their talent like Artemiev.