Chess in Evening Standard

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 am

Having made a rare foray to central London, I picked up a copy of Thursday's Evening Standard. This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense. The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.

The story also featured a large picture of Usain Bolt, apparently playing chess. Unfortunately, the board is the wrong way round (of course!) and Mr Bolt (who presumably specialises in Lightning chess) has Rh1 and b1, Nf1, Pa2b3e2e4g2h3 and a d-pawn he is just moving. He looks worried, possibly as his king has already been captured. He could be playing an obscure variant of course. Apparently Bill Gates (please sponsor us) and Justin Bieber are also fans of the game.

The report ends with, "One survey showed that more than 12 per cent of adults in Britain played chess frequently last year." Even if that includes playing against their children and grandchildren at home, I don't believe it.

Despite the mistakes, it is half a page on chess and it is positive, and doesn't say all chessplayers are lunatics or serial killers, so obviously the journo hasn't seen this forum.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17932
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense.
There are a number of people present who could be associated with the ECF, but were there any invites specifically for current ECF Officials or Directors? It's noticeable that the usual FIDE cast have showed up, presumably at Agon's expense. Unlike in Russia, the ECF doesn't having any role in saying whether the tournament can take place or not.

John Hickman
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by John Hickman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 am


LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:30 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote: This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense.
There are a number of people present who could be associated with the ECF, but were there any invites specifically for current ECF Officials or Directors? It's noticeable that the usual FIDE cast have showed up, presumably at Agon's expense. Unlike in Russia, the ECF doesn't having any role in saying whether the tournament can take place or not.
I can only speak as an ex director but I've had no involvement or invitation and I suspect that international would be one of the more likely areas to be contacted.

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:I can only speak as an ex director but I've had no involvement or invitation and I suspect that international would be one of the more likely areas to be contacted.
I certainly received no invite. I heard that the ex-President may have been in attendance but do not know if this is correct.

Richard Bates
Posts: 2856
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 am

Phil Ehr was there. It's hardly surprising that an organisation focussing on Professional/World Championship chess is not too interested in engaging with the ECF as an organisation. What exactly would the ECF be bringing to the table?

On the article, always makes a change for chess coverage and reporting when the PR aspect is taken seriously and professional PR firms are involved.

Nick Burrows
Posts: 947
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.
I know it is not the main point, but personally I think you can make a case for Adams too. He was more consistently at the top of the ratings list. Certainly Short's match wins against Karpov and Timman are unparalleled. But then Adams had fantastic results in the FIDE Knock outs of the late 90s, and was denied entry to a proper candidates cycle when he was near the top of the ratings.

Empathising with the Journalist, Adams was in the room and is playing in the tournament. I think he has to be tactful!
Short is Fischer to Adam's Kasparov. Short attained a higher level for a short point in his career, but Adams maintained his high level year upon year...

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.
I know it is not the main point, but personally I think you can make a case for Adams too. He was more consistently at the top of the ratings list. Certainly Short's match wins against Karpov and Timman are unparalleled. But then Adams had fantastic results in the FIDE Knock outs of the late 90s, and was denied entry to a proper candidates cycle when he was near the top of the ratings.

Empathising with the Journalist, Adams was in the room and is playing in the tournament. I think he has to be tactful!
Short is Fischer to Adam's Kasparov. Short attained a higher level for a short point in his career, but Adams maintained his high level year upon year...
I would consider Adams more like Karpov :? Also Fischer and Kasparov never competed in the same era whereas Adams and Short have for many years. Apart from that......

Clive Blackburn

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Does anybody know what is Short's overall lifetime score against Adams?

Krishna Shiatis
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: Despite the mistakes, it is half a page on chess and it is positive, and doesn't say all chessplayers are lunatics or serial killers, so obviously the journo hasn't seen this forum.
:lol: :lol:

Michael Bennett
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Michael Bennett » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:Does anybody know what is Short's overall lifetime score against Adams?
This might give some idea:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl ... r&eresult=
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Clive Blackburn

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Michael, looks pretty even!

David Pardoe
Posts: 1221
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: NORTH WEST

Re: Chess in Evening Standard and Telegraph

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:26 pm

A good picture in Saturdays Daily Telegraph, P18. It shows glamour model Lily Cole playing a friendly v Topalov at Somerset House...with a group of other personalities in the background.
It does set a `cool` tone for chess, and good for the image....
BRING BACK THE BCF

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6128
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Well, it's possible people will look at it and say "cor, Lily Cole plays chess, I must go and learn the game myself" but more likely people will think "oh God, another attempt to claim that chess is cool - I bet she doesn't even know the rules".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8771
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Well, it's possible people will look at it and say "cor, Lily Cole plays chess, I must go and learn the game myself" but more likely people will think "oh God, another attempt to claim that chess is cool - I bet she doesn't even know the rules".
I suspect chessplayers will think the latter, and that non-chessplayers won't think the former. I suspect most will just see it, take it in, and then turn to the next page without any further thought.

Post Reply