Against the International Master

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Giulio Simeone

Against the International Master

Post by Giulio Simeone » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 pm

This time I'm posting a game I played eight months ago with Guido Caprio, who is likely to become one of the strongest italian players. He's very young, only 17 years old, and is improving very quickly: when we played this game he had 2353, now he has 2398 and has achieved the International Master title. Still, he had a quite hard time winning against me, two times he got the upper hand and two times I managed to recover. He knew the opening better than me and won a pawn after 11 moves; after some other moves, though, I saw some incredible tactics he didn't see and won back the pawn. The resulting endgame was even, but I made a mistake and he got again the upper hand with a nice strategical plan; I continued to fight very bravely, though, and at move 47th missed an easy draw. After that he managed to promote a pawn and to win the game. Despite the mistakes by both sides, it is a nice game and the rook endgame is very interesting.

The game was played last January on the last round of a weekend tournament in Rome, Caprio had to win in order to get the 1st prize, while I was some positions behind. Time rate was 90 minutes x 40 moves + 15 minutes + 30 seconds per move.

P.S. I was suggested to put my commented games on the "Chess Questions" section, but I've seen no games posted recently on that section. Maybe Carl may consider enabling a section with only commented games.

Last edited by Giulio Simeone on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Against the International Master

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 pm

I haven't studied the position in detail, but I think I like the look of 7.d3, aiming for a reversed Sicilian position after the inevitable ...d5.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I haven't studied the position in detail, but I think I like the look of 7.d3, aiming for a reversed Sicilian position after the inevitable ...d5.
1 c4 isn't an opening to avoid theory, the way to get an advantage is to transpose to something favourable, possibly even a reversed position. I'm not even sure White lost a pawn for no compensation, without checking the theory in detail it looks a plausible sacrifice.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 am

This game is an object lesson to all players who are facing weaker opponents - don't be complacent!

A bit of effort and he would've found 12...Nc5, and after he missed that, I think you had plenty of compensation for the pawn. A shame you couldn't quite hold the endgame!

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Jack, maybe next time I will play 7. d3 ... in this variation white has an advantage, namely the couple of the bishops, that can be exploited mostly on the long run, in the opening he has to deal with the problem of the exposed queen and d3, which prevents ...Ne4, indeed makes her position a bit more safe. Once white has stopped black's early initiative, he can think about ways to open up the centre for the couple of the bishops.

Roger, I don't think white has any compensation for the b2 pawn, black makes pressure on the d2 bishop, makes pressure on the d4 knight, in some variations can capture also the Pa2 and so it's quite easy for him to simplify the position to his favour. We have already seen that with 12. ...Nc5 black enters in an endgame with a pawn up, and white can't even rely much on the couple of the bishops, because it seems very hard to open the centre. We can look for alternatives to 12. Rd1, but there aren't many: the only one that allows white to mantain the queens on the board is 12. Nc2, but it is not a very good-looking move.

Andrew, it's true, even Grandmasters and International Masters have to stay always concentrated in order to beat a player of my level, they cannot think to play fast and win easily against an around-2000 player. Caprio this summer lost to Inna Iasman, a french woman rated 1970, obviously I wasn't there and can't tell about the effort he put on that game.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Giulio Simeone wrote: Roger, I don't think white has any compensation for the b2 pawn, black makes pressure on the d2 bishop, makes pressure on the d4 knight, in some variations can capture also the Pa2 and so it's quite easy for him to simplify the position to his favour.
Checking out the databases, all previous players in the position, not very many of them, had played Kf1 in preference to the pawn sacrifice. The computer engine suggests that whilst Kf1 is about equal, after Bd2, white is sacrificing a pawn for about half a pawn of compensation.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 am

Giulio,
Can I ask a question or two?
At move 10.Be2 you say couldn't afford to "lose a tempo with 10.a3 as Nc5..." (Jack suggested playing 7.d3 instead of 7.d4) I'd like to ask if you considered playing 7.a3 before, during, or after the game?
If Black then plays 7... d5 you reply 8.d4 and if he tries 7... Ne4 then 8.Qc2 and you avoid getting into the trouble you had in the actual game.
My other question is - in the endgame you "missed an easy draw with 47.Rg5..." Is 47.h5!? a more obvious way to start?
John

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Another point of 7.a3 is that if black plays the plausible 7...a5 white can play 8.b4, leading to some unusual positions, as an alternative to a reversed Sicilian. An example is the following game played by Yasser Seirawan (a long time ago!):

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1025671

Adam Ashton

Post by Adam Ashton » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm

11.Kf1 certainly looks better. I don't think the endgame after 19 moves is equal, looks a lot better for black.

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm

John McKenna wrote:Giulio,
Can I ask a question or two?
At move 10.Be2 you say couldn't afford to "lose a tempo with 10.a3 as Nc5..." (Jack suggested playing 7.d3 instead of 7.d4) I'd like to ask if you considered playing 7.a3 before, during, or after the game?
My other question is - in the endgame you "missed an easy draw with 47.Rg5..." Is 47.h5!? a more obvious way to start?
John
John, sure I considered playing 7. a3 during and after the game with Caprio, and also during the more recent game with the German FM Norbert Friedrich ... surely against him I should have been more cautious, he destroyed me with a terrifying attack

7. a3 indeed is another way to slow down black's initiative, the variation suggested by Graham upon 7. ...a5 is quite tricky, and white may be able also to face well the variations you pointed out, 7. ..d5 and 7. ...Ne4. What, though, if black doesn't play none of these moves and continues to develop quietly with, let's say, ...00 and ...d6? It's difficult to judge, the plan a3 - b4 is a bit slower than Jack's d3 but it's also true that the b5 push can sooner or later bother black's knight.

As for 47. h5, yes, probably it's another way to draw, white's three units should be enough to prevent the 'c' pawn to effectively promote.
Last edited by Giulio Simeone on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Adam Ashton wrote:11.Kf1 certainly looks better. I don't think the endgame after 19 moves is equal, looks a lot better for black.
Adam, I was about to reply you that you were wrong, then I thought that you might have been a rated player, I checked on the FIDE website and I saw that your rating is 2366!! So now I want you to explain me why black is a lot better in the position after move 19th ... because of the pawn structure?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 am

Giulio Simeone wrote:[{Here the 95% of players would have taken back the bishop and, considered that white has practically a rook and a pawn for a bishop and a knight, that the black king is exposed to some checks and that the Na5 may have a long way back into the game, his position doesn't look so bad. The German, though, surprised me with a move that is really outstanding, now black destroys white's castling and there is absolutely no defence!!}
The exchange sac with Bb7 looks a pretty obvious hack to consider, but do you play it without calculating it in depth? Taking back may not be that bad either as bishop and knight are often an advantage against rook and pawn. White's play allowing the pawn to e2 is far more provocative than I would consider comfortable. Lines where white gives up a bishop and knight in the opening for rook and pawn are frequently dubious.

Giulio Simeone

Post by Giulio Simeone » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

It's true Roger, in the middlegame a bishop and a knight are almost always better than a rook, because rooks are more powerful than minor pieces mostly in the endgame, when there are many open lines. In the position after 15. ... Kxf8, though, I thought to have a slight dynamic compensation because:

1. Black has still to replace his a5 knight and to develop his queenside; in particular, the light bishop doesn't have so many avaliable squares;

2. The black king is exposed to some diagonal checks;

3. The pawn in e2 is practically lost, sure white has to capture it quickly because if the position opens up it can bother a lot, as in the actual game.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Giulio, in answer to my suggestion, 7.a3, you replied - What if... O-O and d6? I'd say 7... O-O 8.b4 d6 9.Bb2 would be reasonable. However, as you imply, a slower game than either of your games above - against Caprio and Freidrich - would arise.

Adam Ashton

Post by Adam Ashton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Giulio Simeone wrote:
Adam Ashton wrote:11.Kf1 certainly looks better. I don't think the endgame after 19 moves is equal, looks a lot better for black.
Adam, I was about to reply you that you were wrong, then I thought that you might have been a rated player, I checked on the FIDE website and I saw that your rating is 2366!! So now I want you to explain me why black is a lot better in the position after move 19th ... because of the pawn structure?
Well my first impression was I don't see any compensation for your poor structure. Your activity is pretty superficial as your rooks can't penetrate anywhere, I'd expect black to be able to gradually improve and make life quite unpleasant for you later.