Sealed move question

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Sealed move question

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 am

Does (or did) a sealed move count as a part of the gamescore even if play did not resume? Can we therefore consider such a move to have been "played"?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Re: Sealed move question

Post by David Robertson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm

No. A sealed move is just that: it remains sealed and unplayed until opened (by an arbiter or proxy) in the presence of both players on resumption of the game. Unsealed = played thereupon.

Hence players can agree a draw without sight of the sealed move. However I imagine if the sealer offers the draw, the sealee would be wise to see the move first. The sealee can resign too, but again would be wise the see the sealed move first.

The real test of the matter would come where, prior to the resumption, the sealer resigns a game ostentibly drawn or better at the adjournment, but lost to a blunder in the unopened envelope. Would that move be part of the record? I think not, in law, because resignation ends the game. But in practice, commonsense would likely prevail and the blunder declared.

That's my guess anyway. I await the judgement of 'God' who has probably written a chapter or two on the subject :)

David
Atticus CC
Last edited by David Robertson on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm

I believe one of the more entertaining aspects of resuming an adjourned games is :

The possibility of the player who did not seal not being present at the start of the resumption. However, the player remains in their Hotel room whilst a runner observes the played seal move and communicates it. I think there is a mechanism in place to stop this but have forgotten what it is. :?:

Personally, I feel both adjudications and adjournments should be scrapped. :roll:

1.1 The game of chess is played between two opponents who move their pieces alternately on a square board called a `chessboard`.

Note : two opponents rather than more than two (including engine assistance)
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:49 pm

John Upham wrote:The possibility of the player who did not seal not being present at the start of the resumption. However, the player remains in their Hotel room whilst a runner observes the played seal move and communicates it. I think there is a mechanism in place to stop this but have forgotten what it is. :?:
Article A7 covers that: 'The envelope shall be opened only when the player who must reply to the sealed move is present.'

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:Article A7 covers that: 'The envelope shall be opened only when the player who must reply to the sealed move is present.'
One might say that He has thought of everything! :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

John Upham wrote:I believe one of the more entertaining aspects of resuming an adjourned games is :

The possibility of the player who did not seal not being present at the start of the resumption.
What about the player who did seal not being present? (See discussion.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com